Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM

87 posts, read 382,811 times

Advertisements

So if your child is playing and gets bitten by a poisonous snake, it is always easily treatable, not fatal or causing a permanent injury as long as they get immediate medical attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM

322 posts, read 1,190,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
So if your child is playing and gets bitten by a poisonous snake, it is always easily treatable, not fatal or causing a permanent injury as long as they get immediate medical attention?
I'm not a doctor but my answer is YES.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 AM

322 posts, read 1,190,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
I haven't seen a cobra in a few weeks, but those pesky basketball size tarantulas have invaded my house. Not to mention we seem to have an infestation of mutant ninja turtles crawling around here.
You forgot to mention those notorious Komodo dragon's. Now those things have been known to make a meal out of a kid. And wasn't there a story in the news just recently about an alligator in a sink hole in a suburb north of Houston?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 AM

87 posts, read 382,811 times
Well we have black bears in certain areas of NJ that are indeed residential and I would choose NOT to live there. My brother does live in that area and him and his wife were on their lawn at 7am when a bear walked 15 feet in front of them. Of course they stood perfectly still with their hearts racing until it passed, but a child wouldn't know to do that.

I see your humor, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to know if the kids are safe playing outside in the yard.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,574,467 times
I grew up here and the only thing that ever bit the **** out of me as a child was a green lizard. Those little guys can draw blood. Corner/tease/grab one if you don't believe me.

Actually I don't know anyone I grew up with who got bit by a snake.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM

439 posts, read 1,237,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I grew up here and the only thing that ever bit the **** out of me as a child was a green lizard. Those little guys can draw blood. Corner/tease/grab one if you don't believe me.

Actually I don't know anyone I grew up with who got bit by a snake.
Oh I just saw one of those for the first time yesterday. I was tempted to grab it. Are those geckos? They're kinda cute in their own special way.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,574,467 times
Geckos are those brown, bumpy ones. We have those too. The lizard I'm talking about are those green-brown color changing ones. Their tails break off sometimes. But the bigger ones can and will bite.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM

189 posts, read 447,177 times
When we moved into our first home in Sugarland, the summer of 1980 I believe it was, was one of hottest on record. There were 14 or more days of straight 100 degree plus temps. Our lawn had just been sodded and we had no sprinklers in. I recall having to go out there nightly(my husband was on a boat for 2 months so I was on my own) after work in the dark and hold a hose on the parts of the grass that a manual sprinkler couldnt reach. zThere had been no rain and the lawn was literally in danger of dying if I didnt do it. Something bit me in the dark on my foot and I felt a shooting pain going up my neck. My foot became swollen, etc. The next day the doctor said it must have been a spider bite since I was pretty sure it hadnt been a snake.

From then on I guess I've been very cautious about walking in the grass, especially at nite.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,666,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
Well we have black bears in certain areas of NJ that are indeed residential and I would choose NOT to live there. My brother does live in that area and him and his wife were on their lawn at 7am when a bear walked 15 feet in front of them. Of course they stood perfectly still with their hearts racing until it passed, but a child wouldn't know to do that.

I see your humor, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to know if the kids are safe playing outside in the yard.
Its not unreasonable to be concerned about the safety of the fauna. Just try to think of it from our perspective:

"JIMBOBURNSY: Hi all, I'll be moving to New Jersey in a few months and have teenage daughters. Is it true that the bears in New Jersey are attracted by the menstruation and will my family be safe in the yard?"

Seriously, snakes are not your primary concern. Fire ants and yellowjackets are the clear and present danger to children here. You will not need to put mothballs or hemp rope around the perimeter of your property nor will you ever be likely to adjust any facet of your life in the name of precaution against snake bites.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:06 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,666,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Geckos are those brown, bumpy ones. We have those too. The lizard I'm talking about are those green-brown color changing ones. Their tails break off sometimes. But the bigger ones can and will bite.
For an example of a gecko, open an exterior door and examine the jamb for any crushed reptiles. The ones I have seen are primarily noctournal, sort of pinkish with brown bumps and large, dark eyes.

The green ones are called "Green Aenoles" and seem to be getting pushed out of Houston by their cousins, the "Brown Aenoles." Anyone inside the loop who pays attention to the lizards has probably noticed that there are conspicously fewer green lizards and more and more speckled, brown ones.

When I was little I caught a green aenole that was probably 4 1/2 to 5 inches long, maybe more. On the way to show my mother, he latched onto my index finger. Result: sheer terror and a river of tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston