Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2023, 09:27 AM

340 posts, read 260,639 times

Advertisements

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...harris-county/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 09:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,730,575 times
Seems like Texas is at war with its biggest city

Old 05-29-2023, 10:05 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,756,204 times
Mixed feelings on this.

Harris County has indeed repeatedly shown itself to be incapable of successfully managing the logistics of elections. It's frustrating and embarrassing that every election brings a new set of "unanticipated issues", when elections in other large TX counties seem to run smoothly.

Separately - I'm also supportive of state efforts to curtail the rulemaking authority of cities, as the net impact seems to be a reduction in the ways that us average joes can find ourselves in a contrary position to the government.

But this bill seems to fall more along the lines of state micromanagement, similar to the sort that saw drive-through voting largely eliminated last year. Shouldn't efforts to make voting easier be supported in principle, regardless of their effect on the election outcome? As a mostly-conservative Harris County resident, I'm sick of being treated like collateral damage by our state gov't.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:48 PM

15,086 posts, read 7,129,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Mixed feelings on this.

Harris County has indeed repeatedly shown itself to be incapable of successfully managing the logistics of elections. It's frustrating and embarrassing that every election brings a new set of "unanticipated issues", when elections in other large TX counties seem to run smoothly.

Separately - I'm also supportive of state efforts to curtail the rulemaking authority of cities, as the net impact seems to be a reduction in the ways that us average joes can find ourselves in a contrary position to the government.

But this bill seems to fall more along the lines of state micromanagement, similar to the sort that saw drive-through voting largely eliminated last year. Shouldn't efforts to make voting easier be supported in principle, regardless of their effect on the election outcome? As a mostly-conservative Harris County resident, I'm sick of being treated like collateral damage by our state gov't.
The Republicans, when they were in office in Harris County, had their own issues. Bettencourt was terrible as a voter registrar when he was Tax Assessor/Collector, and Stand Stanart had real issues getting results out.

The first Election Administrator, Longoria, was obviously out of her league. Tatum is doing a good job, but came into office very close to the last election, with no time to implement fixes to issues. I believe that had he been left to do his job, Tatum would run a good election in November. But noooooooo, Bettencourt and his GOP buddies in the Legislature had to mess with things and make them more complicated.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:26 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,036 times
The State of Texas, and its cities, are turning into a real S$%t Show, and this is from a native Texan.

NO WAY is the state providing the necessary support/infrastructure for their 2 largest metros and NO WAY are they comparable to other cities with Metro population in the 10 million people range.

The Metroplex and Houston will be there soon than many think.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:47 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,057,949 times
What pisses me off about this is that once again they passed a law that only applies where it’s going to help Texas republicans the most.

I’m completely against laws that don’t apply to everywhere

Old 05-30-2023, 02:13 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,407,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Mixed feelings on this.

The Constitution says elections will be held on the first Tuesday of November unless the first Tuesday falls on the first. Early voting, voting by mail (absentee) are allowed in Texas. I'm sorry but I think drive through voting seems to cheapen the process. Why do the voters need to be massaged by Government like this before they will vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What pisses me off about this is that once again they passed a law that only applies where it’s going to help Texas republicans the most.

I’m completely against laws that don’t apply to everywhere
I agree the Constitution says all laws must be equally apportioned amongst the states. I think that applies to intrastate legislation as well

Old 05-30-2023, 04:41 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,057,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I agree the Constitution says all laws must be equally apportioned amongst the states. I think that applies to intrastate legislation as well
Stupid phone, It’s supposed to say:
“I’m completely against laws that don’t apply to EVERYONE”

Old 05-30-2023, 08:29 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
I don't have a problem with them passing laws, I have a problem with said laws only applying to us in Harris County.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:16 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,456,973 times
good luck with enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston