Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
art and culture abounds there just as much as Houston. Buckhead is one of amy all time favorite neighborhoods in this country.

PS: I say all this and I'm native Houstonian. I love my city, but if my family and life long connections weren't here, I'm sure I would roam on over to Atlanta.
Atlanta is such a mismanaged city that I wouldn't feel confortable living there. Over 140 mil in the red for this fiscal year. No one knows (their mayor, nor their city council) where the money went. Speaking of culture, they don't have anything that resembles Chinatown, Hilcroft international or a Fiesta Mart not even close. Whites are basically the only minority there.
Mark my word, Atlanta has seen better days. It's all downhill now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 PM

189 posts, read 448,724 times
I went to college in Atlanta 30 yrs ago and missed it so much when we left for my husband's job in Houston. Let me tell you, the heat and humidity in Atlanta is non-existent compared to Houston! Atlanta also has 4 distinct seasons, and the pollen in the spring is supposed to be among the worst anywhere. Pine is what is killer there.

Not having been back to Atlanta for over 20 yrs, I have heard from friends living there that the city isnt the same makeup since many northerners have made it their home. Of course what large city would be the same after that time period?

One other thing I havent seen mentioned is that the main minority group in Houston is of course Hispanic, and if you can speak Spanish its a plus here. In Atlanta blacks are still the main minority.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:31 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
I should have clarified that what i meant was mass-transportation in the form of a train ..faster and more efficient. For a city this size, it's almost criminal not to have a rail that serves the vast sprawl that just keeps on moving.

DC...where? I lived in Alexandria Old town and then Indian Head, Maryland. For a short while in NW DC up near Chevy Chase. I miss it. No matter how bad everyone makes it out to be. It's got soul. This place only has great Mexican Food
Oh, the train... there's only a light rail that runs north-south through downtown, but Houston probably needs more than just that. And soon.

I grew up in the suburbs... Fairfax and Vienna (best Mexican food at Anita's)... and then lived in Silver Spring for a few years till I came here.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM

23 posts, read 56,774 times
lay off the green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston