Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

41 posts, read 74,444 times

Advertisements

We have decided to sell our house in Gleannloch farms and move inside the city. We are in the process of finalizing a place to buy our home and zeroed in on "Houston Heights" and "Oak Forest". I would like to be under 300K. Any suggestions or recommendations will help me immensely in pursuit of a new home.

Thanks in Advance
JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
You're going to find a lot more in that price range over in Oak Forest than in Houston Heights. For under 300K in the Heights, you're most likely looking at a tear down or tiny bungalow.

FWIW, I feel like Oak Forest was a much better pick a few years back. The homes have appreciated so much recently that you don't get near the value in there anymore. At some point, there's a limit to what I would pay for 1,000 square foot "starter home"...no matter how nicely updated it is.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I like Oak Forest, and think it's a good buy. Lot's of new construction which a great indicator. Also, look next door at Candlelight Estates. It's starting to appreciate as well.

I think it's great to see so many moving back into the city. It does nothing but make Houston better.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
You're going to find a lot more in that price range over in Oak Forest than in Houston Heights. For under 300K in the Heights, you're most likely looking at a tear down or tiny bungalow.

FWIW, I feel like Oak Forest was a much better pick a few years back. The homes have appreciated so much recently that you don't get near the value in there anymore. At some point, there's a limit to what I would pay for 1,000 square foot "starter home"...no matter how nicely updated it is.
Most houses I see (below $200K, at least) in Oak Forest have 2 BR and no garage. No thanks!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Most houses I see (below $200K, at least) in Oak Forest have 2 BR and no garage. No thanks!
Usually they convert the garage into a 3rd Bedroom, but I understand what you're saying.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
If you are coming from Gleannloch Farms, obviously there will be some adjustments to make, gains and sacrifices, moving from one to the other.

I would recommend expanding your search a little to include the neighborhoods of Candlelight estates, adjacent to Oak Forest on the north) Shepherd Park Plaza and Candlelight Plaza (adjacent to Garden Oaks on the north) and Ella Lee Forest, also in the same area.

In addition I would also peruse Timbergrove Manor and Lazybrook as well. The section of Timbergrove west of the bayou and south of 11th did get hit hard in Allison though.

My personal take on Oak Forest is the sections west of the bayou are a little more iffy. Oak Forest overall (especially east of the bayou) is very popular and people are still pouring into that area like mad. It does have great trees. You also have a good Kroger right there on 43rd. My issue with it is the housing stock is, well, boring. I like houses with a little more architectural interest. It's a nice neighborhood, but IMO the larger houses just to the north in Candlelight are more "comfortable." Same thing with Lazybrook & much of Timbergrove.

The Heights is a great area. I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 AM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
Usually they convert the garage into a 3rd Bedroom, but I understand what you're saying.

ah yes, I should have added that comment as well. I don't like when you "know" that there used to be a garage there. The car is parked right up to the front window. Such is the way of life, I guess, when you "update" an older home.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info!
If anybody built their own home inside the loop, please let me know per sq ft price & how easy or tough is it to build w/a custom builder.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Have you considered Idylwood at all? It's a real pretty pocket. Also, the Garland Company that restores houses in Eastwood has two or three (in various stages of work) over there, if you are up to a little more transitional area. Might be too much of an urban adjustment coming from Gleannloch.

Despite my upbringings in Memorial Northwest, I'm all for transitional urban areas but I know a lot of people are not well for it.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM

we really want to concentrate on areas near I-10 and 610 since my wife works on 290 & hollister.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: