Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 PM

148 posts, read 389,489 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are happy to say we are moving to Houston. We are both 28 and Houston is an awesome city. We currently live in New York City and I was raised in Connecticut and went to UConn so I lived in the northeast my entire life.

We both have lived in New York for five years. We decided it was time for a change. We wanted a place less busy than Manhattan, but not the suburbs. We looked at other major cities (San Fran, DC, Miami, Kansas City, Boston) and nothing really caught our eye.

San Francisco = Too expensive, we might as well stay in NYC, but we did like the area. Beautiful landscape around the city.
DC = Closes down at night, high crime rates and I thought it was overpriced.
Miami = Great place to visit, but didn't want 12 months of summer combined with brutal traffic. Florida is also in a major housing crisis and seems to be losing it's touch
Kansas City = Boring, middle of the country and not a damn thing to do.
Boston = Not bad, but wasn't for us.

Then we went to Houston and it was great. The people are really nice, great food, really nice apartments, tons of parks, near the water, cool restaurants/bars. It has everything one could be looking for in a major city.

It is very large for someone who has lived in the northeast their entire life. To be on the highway for 40 minutes and never leave Houston was quite a change. The cost of living is very reasonable and the job market is doing very well. I just got hired by the Houston Police Dept and my fiance is going to work in the private sector in finance.

If anyone has any questions let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Thank you for joining HPD!

Welcome to Texas.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Welcome to Houston!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
this may be the place for you if you found those negatives about those other cities and not find one about houston

Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
Good luck with your HPD job.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
Welcome to the city.

Also thank you for helping to protect our community.

Last edited by predatorprey; 06-10-2008 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM

148 posts, read 389,489 times
Thank you all very much for your nice and welcoming replies.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 9,854 times
I think inner loop 610 Houston may be one of the top areas in the USA to live in. City amenities with all the comforts of a single-family house and car.

Think about those lucky enough to live in River Oaks: Work (downtown), the opera, pro-sports, top restaurants, etc. are all within 15 minutes' drive.

Try to do all that in NY and Chicago, and still have the big house, a yard, and privacy? Impossible. If you want the River Oaks lifestyle out East you have to take a train or a 45 minute drive from the burbs to get to what inner loop 610 has within minutes.

Plus all that humidity is good for people's skin, it preserves it, and Houston people look less worn out than in NYC. (that's my opinion.)

Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
My fiance and I are happy to say we are moving to Houston.
It really sounds like you will like it here. Enjoy!!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriAvnery View Post
I think inner loop 610 Houston may be one of the top areas in the USA to live in. City amenities with all the comforts of a single-family house and car.

Think about those lucky enough to live in River Oaks: Work (downtown), the opera, pro-sports, top restaurants, etc. are all within 15 minutes' drive.

Try to do all that in NY and Chicago, and still have the big house, a yard, and privacy? Impossible. If you want the River Oaks lifestyle out East you have to take a train or a 45 minute drive from the burbs to get to what inner loop 610 has within minutes.

Plus all that humidity is good for people's skin, it preserves it, and Houston people look less worn out than in NYC. (that's my opinion.)
sour graping is probably the worst defense mechanism. is there any chance houstonites can be happy without making lame comparisons.

try... start at 6pm, visit the space center, walk in the park, get some ice cream, buy world famous hotdogs, see street performers of all sorts above and below ground, see world reknowned historical land marks, enjoy the coastline, see chinatown, eat at little italy, go to a comedy club, walk in lively neighborhoods at past midnight (same day). say youre touring your 12yo nephew and tell him you would love him to come and work in that city when he grows up. impossible, unimagineable in houston
you can use the same formula for just about anyone who happen to give you a visit, which is going to be frequent like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston