U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM

63 posts, read 334,703 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to the Houston area from Florida.. I have researched public schools.. and know basically which ones I want to be zoned for.. My question is.. we are jewish family and I have been trying to find information what parts of Houston have a larger percentage of jewish people. Everything I read about area's they always include church information.. but I have seen nothing on syngagogues.. We are not very religous people but would want to be in an area with some other jewish familes. Any information would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,166,061 times
Without a doubt the area with the highest concentration of Jews is the Meyerland area. This is not to say that they aren't found all over the city because they are but in sheer numbers, Meyerland is the place. Most of the synagogues can be found over there as well as food emporiums with kosher food. But that said, there is also a Jewish Community Center on the far west side of town on Dairy Ashford, just south of I-10. You might Google synagogues in Houston and contact some of the listed people on those sites for more specific information but come on down, you won't have any trouble finding other Jewish families to meet.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM

3,151 posts, read 5,185,206 times
Meyerland is in Houston ISD.

Oh, and if you move to the Meyerland area, try to be zoned to Bellaire High School. While all of Meyerland proper is zoned to BHS, some surrounding neighborhoods, such as most of Westbury, Willowbend, half of Willow Meadows, Marilyn Estates and Maplewood South, are zoned to Westbury High School, while other surrounding neighborhoods, such as a small sliver of Westbury, half of Willow Meadows, Maplewood, Braesmont, and Maplewood North, are zoned to Bellaire High School.

Want to know how bad Westbury HS is? Read this: http://www.westuexaminer.com/article...ews/news02.txt

If you cannot afford a home in BHS' zone, try to consider magnet programs and/or private schools once you move up to high school.

For middle school, almost all of the Meyerland area is zoned Johnston Middle School, while a small sliver above Beechnut is zoned to Pershing Middle School. The Johnston, Pershing, and Long (don't bother with Long Middle School, by the way) attendance zones also specify Pin Oak Middle School as an option. You should do fine with Johnston, Pershing, and/or Pin Oak.

For elementary school, Meyerland proper has Lovett Elementary School and Kolter Elementary School. Both schools are considered to be good. Other popular Meyerland-area schools are Red Elementary in Willowbend/Willow Meadows and Parker Elementary School in northern Westbury.

Pin Oak and Bellaire offer Hebrew in case you want your child to learn Hebrew as his state-required foreign language.

When you consider your houses, be sure to check their school assignments by typing the addresses in here: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/abcx_tool/search.asp - Remember, though, that campus registrars determine final placements of students.

Also use Greatschools.net, HISD's own school profiles, and campus visits as ways to determine which school(s) to choose.

For Jewish private education, several private schools are in the area that offer Jewish education. Robert M. Beren Academy and Emery/Weiner offer Jewish education at the secondary level.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks....Are those area's older...What about The Woodlands, Spring, Missour City or Sugarland.Those are the school districts I have checked and also from what I have seen amd read online they look great Like I said I dont need to be in the heart of a jewish community but to have a decent % of familes would be great..

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

3,151 posts, read 5,185,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysammy View Post
Thanks....Are those area's older...What about The Woodlands, Spring, Missour City or Sugarland.Those are the school districts I have checked and also from what I have seen amd read online they look great Like I said I dont need to be in the heart of a jewish community but to have a decent % of familes would be great..
Meyerland is an older area, and it is becoming increasingly expensive as the area becomes more desireable.

Now, if you wish to move to North Harris County (Spring/Klein area), move into Klein ISD (but do not move to the Klein Forest HS zone) or Tomball ISD. The problem with Spring ISD lies in the decay of the Westfield HS and DeKaney HS zones. Also, the Spring HS zone may be primed for decay. Humble ISD (Kingwood and Atascocita) is also a good choice.

The Woodlands (most of it is in Conroe ISD, while a small section, which will open soon, is in Tomball ISD) has universally good schools.

As for Fort Bend ISD, most of the schools are solid. I would avoid Bush, Willowridge, and Marshall. Hightower may also be going down the tubes due to the damage from its principal, Patricia Paquin.

Almost all of Sugar Land is in FBISD - A few houses are in Lamar CISD, which is becoming suburban.

For Missouri City, almost all of it is in Fort Bend ISD (Buy in the Elkins HS and Dulles HS zones) - Avoid the Harris County portion, as it is zoned to Houston ISD's Westbury High School (Yes, THAT Westbury High School).

Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM

107 posts, read 404,333 times
I don't know where you or your spouse will be working, but one area to consider is West Houston or Katy. There's the JCC on Dairy Ashford that Redrover mentioned, and there's a nice big reform synagogue (with quite an active membership), Temple Sinai, off of Eldridge Pkwy. Although that area is still zoned to HISD, they have some newer, higher rated schools. A friend's daughters attend Westside HS there, and she's been pretty happy with the school.

If you want to be close to the synagogue but get into a better school district, Katy ISD begins just a few miles west, on the other side of Barker Reservoir. Neighborhoods to consider over there are Green Trails, Nottingham Country, Kelliwood, among others. Living there, you will probably have a larger number of Jewish families (wanting the schools of Katy, but the convenience to the synagogue and JCC) than if you lived further into Katy. Katy still has a huge Christian majority, but I think you'll find a decent Jewish community, too.

The downside--if you or your spouse are commuting into town, I-10 is a really horrible freeway. It's currently being expanded, but the expansion probably won't be finished for at least another year or so.

I know Missouri City also has a synagogue, Congregation Beth El, but I'm not sure what the Jewish community is like there.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM

627 posts, read 709,988 times
What percentage of the United States population is Jew?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replys let me get this straight.. Klein and Tomdall and Humble Isd's are good as well as Fort Bend isd.. Ok sorry not sure what Isd means.. also not sure what about this statement Almost all of Sugar Land is in FBISD -A few houses are in Lamar CISD.. What is FBISD or CISD? Where we live in Florida we have 1 school district which spans alot of miles.. Thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM

59 posts, read 237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
What percentage of the United States population is Jew?

What are you, Borat?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 PM

59 posts, read 237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysammy View Post
Thanks for the replys let me get this straight.. Klein and Tomdall and Humble Isd's are good as well as Fort Bend isd.. Ok sorry not sure what Isd means.. also not sure what about this statement Almost all of Sugar Land is in FBISD -A few houses are in Lamar CISD.. What is FBISD or CISD? Where we live in Florida we have 1 school district which spans alot of miles.. Thanks

ISD=Independent School District

FBISD=Fort Bend Independent School District

CISD=Lamar Consolidated Independent School District.

Sugar Land is in a different county, therefore a different school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston