Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Do you guys think overall it's best to buy within BW 8? I've been cotemplating what the best move is, peace of mind wise, and re-sale wise.

Well in all honestly, I know budget restraints for a lot of people keep them from moving into the nicer areas (which have incredible schools) within the Beltway. Many areas within it are questionable to transistion to downright dangerous. But yeah, I think if it's within your budget, you're willing to have an older house within a more mature neighborhood, like a little more urban-suburban area and don't crave a master-planned community, I don't think you can go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 AM

257 posts, read 986,719 times
I bought 30 acres in Friendswood when it was 2,000 an acre instead of that new car,etc etc. even lived in the barn with one light bulb with my new wife until I built a house.That was an adventure.I sacrificed in order to have what I have and thats what it takes.All the BS Wall street wants and does to sell people and place them in slavery for the banks is self inflicted.Save your freaking money people and your life will become yours and not be at the mercy of some billionare banker.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
Well I broke down in order to please my wife and we bought a Prius and just drove it downtown from Friendswood for a week and it cost me $24.56 for the week in gas .Boy thats so much money to commute I think I will leave my six acres and move downtown ,give me a break!

hmm I'm not too impressed. My GMC all-purpose van goes for 2 weeks in and out of the loop in one $60 fill up. I can haul furniture on the way home too I paid $3400 for it, the car mover dented it and paid me $2000 but i did not get it fixed. Each time I haul wood planks, trees, plants, furnitures and other stuff its probably like saving $25 on a rental truck, so essentially it actually paid for itself already and making me more money each day. It has great A/C and an upgraded sound system too BTW. Can we say its 100% recycled too?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM

257 posts, read 986,719 times
Default Prius

As I said it was my wifes idea to buy it.She thinks that it will help screw the Arabs.I have told her that whatever oil we dont use China will now use every drop ,even if we go back to donkey carts.My sons civic for 1500 bucks and 34 miles all around mileage is the better bet.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
As I said it was my wifes idea to buy it.She thinks that it will help screw the Arabs.I have told her that whatever oil we dont use China will now use every drop ,even if we go back to donkey carts.My sons civic for 1500 bucks and 34 miles all around mileage is the better bet.
ahhh yes, my wife wanted the Prius too... until I showed her a used BMW 330CI coupe. Our frontyard looks a lot better for some reason. while saving the planet that is.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM

I fill up about once a month. Living close to work helps me save the planet. I'd still walk or bike to work, when the weather won't kill me, even if gas was $2 a gallon. I really like my cars, thank goodness I don't feel the need to have to change them out.

Work is moving 10 miles west to an equally nice area, and I'm in the process of getting ready to move with it. Once again, I'll be within a mile of work. 10 miles in Houston in rush hour can equal 35 minutes easy. Not worth it to me, I like being spoiled.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,434 times
Can someone elaborate on what Betway 8 means??

Commuting is a way of life where we are now. There is only 1 form of mass transit and it only takes you to 1 place, Port Authority, so if you don't work in NYC, you drive...a lot...

Hubby thinks I am nuts for being so jazzed about relocating, but I really want him on the road less, even if it means having to sell our dream home and uprooting. 4 hours a day in the car is just too much. It used to be only 1 hour 20 minutes and has just gotten worse and worse over the years.

Fortunately he has a Cougar (always buy gently used and paid off OR 0%) that gets 42 miles to the gallon, but he puts 41,000 miles a year, so all his cars only last about 5-7 years before they cost more to maintain than they are worth. Actually this summer has already cost us $1400 in repairs...hopefully no more and maybe it will hold out until the fall...

Point being, a 1 hour commute would be a dream!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Beltway 8 is the second ring around Houston when you look at the map. 610 is referred to as The Loop, it's the first ring. 30 years ago anything OTL ( outside the loop) was the boonies.

IE. The Memorial area runs from just OTL (Outside the loop-610) to just OTB (Outside the Beltway-Beltway 8)

A current third loop is partially finished and it's The Grand Parkway out in Katy Tx. So maybe 40 years from now there will be an OTP.

Anything ITB (inside the Beltway) or right around it would be at most 45 minutes to downtown during rush hour.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,434 times
Got it, thank you. Makes sense. Some of the stuff I have been looking at is outside the BW8...

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winebrat View Post
Are there any 55 and older communities that allow childless younger couples, like in Florida (parents community). We would consider less property in a place like that.
Del Webb is building a 55+ community in Richmond.

Facilitated lifestyle: A new choice of living coming to town

The article also mentions Heritage Grand in Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston