Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,859 times

Advertisements

This is my search criteria:
1) Low crime
2) Excellent school system (preschool & elementary - preferably with foreign language programs)
3) Diverse and family oriented
4) 20 minutes or less in rush hour to north Stafford (Near TX Instruments building)
5) 4+ bedrooom house for $520K or less
6) Good libraries/parks

I looked in Bellaire and Meyerland, but do not see too many options within my price range. I like to stay in Houston proper.

Thank you!

P.S. Can anyone post pictures of the area you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
P.S. Can anyone post pictures of the area you recommend?
I'll get back to you later on the pics, but try looking at Willowbend (between Post Oak and the railroad tracks, between Willowbend Blvd. and West Bellfort. Someone else might be able to be more specific on the schools, but I think the schools in the area are some of the better ones in HISD, plus I'm pretty sure that is in Bellaire HS zone which is good.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,859 times
The area looks nice. Thanks. I only found one house within my price range (Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation). Someone suggested 77079. Is this area too far from Stafford? What is the name of this neighborhood?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUMAS View Post
The area looks nice. Thanks. I only found one house within my price range (Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation). Someone suggested 77079. Is this area too far from Stafford? What is the name of this neighborhood?
77079 (yes, I had to go to Google to see where this is) is outside the belt on I-10. That's practically Katy, even though I guess it's in the Houston city limits. Don't get this confused with being in any sort of urban core, even though you got a few sorta-tall office buildings and such out there. If you're gonna be that far out you might as well start looking at Sugar Land. At any rate, traffic is not very fun over there, and your quickest route to Stafford is a toll road (Beltway 8). The west Beltway can get congested too. If all this still sounds good to you, get an EZ Tag so you don't have to wait in the toll line.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
77079 is "West Memorial." Very nice area and zoned to Spring Branch ISD schools. It's urban-suburban, and far more ammenities than the master planned commuities. Very nice place to live, but it would be a stretch to call it "diverse." Neighborhoods are Rustling Pines, Gaywood, Memorial Plaza,Wilchester, Yorkshire, Nottingham Forest.

It's about 20 minutes to downtown during non-rush hour. 10 minutes to the Galleria via Westpark, during non-rush hour. So it's technically not that far out.

But if you are going to be working in Stafford, you may as well live in Sugarland.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM

433 posts, read 1,929,397 times
Pumas- we were having the same problem. We are looking for a similar situation and can't find many houses listed in our pricerange (we'd like to be around 450K) in the city. I am hoping for Sugar Land but we'll see when we get there. My big thing is I like to walk everywhere and on another post someone said Sugar Land wasn't that walkable. I'm so bummed because it has a cute little downtown, good schools, etc.

Where oh where can I live??? I have the same criteria pretty much:

1) Excellent schools
2) Low crime
3) around 450K, I guess I could go up to 500K
4) Walkable to downtown area (not of houston, but of the neighborhood), walkable to parks, library, shops.

I have to be close to Stafford, where my hubby will be working. He has almost a 2 hour commute right now (Chicago) and we are desperate for under 30 minutes.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'll get back to you later on the pics, but try looking at Willowbend (between Post Oak and the railroad tracks, between Willowbend Blvd. and West Bellfort. Someone else might be able to be more specific on the schools, but I think the schools in the area are some of the better ones in HISD, plus I'm pretty sure that is in Bellaire HS zone which is good.
Co-sign what he said, the thing is most of the houses are zoned to Westbury HS which leaves a lot to be desired. The positive is that you wont have to spend 550k to get a nice house more like 350k which allows you to perhap send your kids to private school with some of that leftover money. its a great neighborhood with character and appeal. I live in Willowbend area and I like it, its close to everything.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Well good luck to find a place walkable to parks, library and shops here in Houston. We are in zip code 77077 and we are close to shopping, parks, hospitals and library but you still need your car (5 to 15 minutes by car). The only thing walkable from my house is school. There is a middle school just behind our house and there is a high school down the road.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Strange in 77079, across the bayou from 77077: I can walk to Terry Hershey Park, to Bisto Provence, to Egg & I, to the dry cleaners, to Pei Wei, to Firehouse subs, to nail joint, to Los Tios and a few other shops. If I want to go a little further I can go to the Kroger and the Public Library. Biking is really easy around that area. Of course I'm talking walking 1/4 to 1/2 mile, not just across the street. Still of a lot close than most Tube stations and sundries were to my flat in London when I lived over there a few months.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:55 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
If you didn't mind using the Sam Houston Tollway, there's a lot of nice homes just east of the tollway, back on Briar Forest and Memorial. With the aid of the tollway you could probably make it to Stafford in about 20 minutes, but it would cost you the toll fee along with gas money. Your best options commute wise would be Sugar Land or Sienna Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston