Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,627 times

Advertisements

I live in the Tomball/Spring area, and am planning to remodel my kitchen very soon. Please know that I am on a modest budget.

I am still relatively new to the area, and have no idea of who to use to do the work. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable business or contractor that could do this work for a reasonable price? I plan on putting in new flooring, cabinets, and counter tops in the kitchen.

I noticed in an earlier thread that someone recommended Kent Moore cabinets in Conroe. Does anyone have any personal experience working with this company? Are they truly more affordable than Lowes or Home Depot?

I'm also considering using Viking Floors to install flooring in kitchen and living room. Does this sound like a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Hi there. That was me and I think Mom2Feebs who recomended Kent Moore Cabinets.

I am not in the Houston area full time so I dont have a solid list of cabinet companies to recomend. One of my contacts are Kent Moore. They do supply quite a few builders there.

If you are looking for lower end cheaper but good cabinets, try Armstrong Cabinets on Dacoma St in Houston. It is kind of an apartment grade but dont let that scare you. It is a good solid box. The doors and face frame are actually made out of rubber wood from a rubber wood tree from South America. The doors are actually made on a gigantic ship which sits out in the ocean. I guess this avoids land taxes. The untrained eye will not tell that it is not wood. Well it actually is wood....rubber wood. It certianly is a higher quality then a particle board box. I have put thousands of them in quality apartment homes.

My friends down in Woodlands tell me good things about Gulf & Basco Co. down on Broad St in Houston. I think they have several locations. I seem to remember seeing one also in Beaumont. I can not vouch for their prices but I can for their products. The Cardell and Kraftmaid I have worked with for decades. Cardell is out of Utah and have a strong presence in the SW and not in the east. In most cases if you bought a Toll Bros home you have a Cardell kitchen.

The Kraftmaid is of course a Masco Co and has been in my showroom for 6 years now since Masco bought them. Kraftmaid makes our high end Merillat Masterpiece series. It is also one brand you will find in Home Depot. Perfect opportunity to compare prices and see just how expensive HD is. I been working with Kraftmaid way before Masco bought them.

I also know the lady who owns KCW Cabinets which I think stands for Kingwood Custom Woodworks. They are in Kingwood. I spoke business with them last year and saw their operation. Quite different I will add but it works for them. You might want to try them also for the sake of comparing prices. They do more of a custom thing rather then the stock sizes but again...compare price. They have an ugly steel corrogated building off a main road I forget the name.

Sorry I can not help you at all on counter tops or flooring. As far as the flooring all I can say is DO NOT use that Pergo crap or any other fake plastic flooring. You will hate it and if you ever go to sell, your potential buyer will hate it enough to move on to the next house for sale.

Hope I helped some..........

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. There is a lot to think about! You definitely helped.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I have a buddy that refinishes counter tops, sinks, showers, & tubs with a spray on finish very similar to the look of marble that comes in different shades & is environmentally friendly. Its definitely a less expensive alternative to replacing what you already have. He's trying to get me into doing it with him.

Think spray on truck bed liner for counter tops.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 AM

So, trying to set up a weekend appointment to view the Kent Moore showroom in Conroe has been a NIGHTMARE! We called several times this week, and the customer service just isn't there.

I really wanted to view their cabinets, but after 4 unsuccessful attempts to try and set up an appointment...I am going to have to pass. If a company acts this stand-offish (and seems this unorganized) during the sales process, I just can't help but wonder how they will act should something go wrong during the building stage.

I'm going to try to check out Gulf & Basco Co. this week, hopefully I will have more luck there.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonThunder View Post
So, trying to set up a weekend appointment to view the Kent Moore showroom in Conroe has been a NIGHTMARE! We called several times this week, and the customer service just isn't there.

I really wanted to view their cabinets, but after 4 unsuccessful attempts to try and set up an appointment...I am going to have to pass. If a company acts this stand-offish (and seems this unorganized) during the sales process, I just can't help but wonder how they will act should something go wrong during the building stage.

I'm going to try to check out Gulf & Basco Co. this week, hopefully I will have more luck there.
Yikes !!!
What was your nightmare? You were not clear. Did they refuse to come in on Saturday for you? I know they are closed Saturday but the sign on the door says to call for Saturday appts.

Would you kindly let me know how you make out at Gulf & Basco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston