U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:09 PM

759 posts, read 2,088,204 times
Nope this is NOT my yard...I was just trying to ID a Tree and this was the first picture I found with a similar one. I am planning to remove the ones in my Yard since the developer put them too close to the house. BTW, you have too much free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
The trees look fine to me but Martha Stewart isn't going to like you concrete borders.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM

7,554 posts, read 8,082,071 times
bbwwhahahahahhahhaaaa ... good one bikeforlife....

and yeah.... they look like bradford pears....

VERY susceptible to wind damage during strong t-storms..... not unusual to see them split right in half.....

Old 06-28-2008, 04:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,139,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
The trees look fine to me but Martha Stewart isn't going to like you concrete borders.

LOL!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM

182 posts, read 500,296 times
Be very careful with those pear trees. Once they gain any size they will snap in half and drop massive branches on a whim. People seem to plant them to get some fall color but personally I'd like to see them banned. There are probably close to a dozen mature pear trees in New Territory that have split in half (often falling into the roadway) in the last few weeks alone. The trees either need completely cut down, or sometimes soldier on but look really bad with major portions of the crown missing - until the next wind blows, anyway. Bad, bad trees IMO.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 AM

7,663 posts, read 17,107,723 times
Are those edible pears? At the old house in Webster we had a lone pear tree among the mesquite brush, but all the squirrels would eat the fruit before it even matured. The tree had to be 20 ft tall though, and the branches never broke off. (The Mesquite however........ always fun to be clobbered by a thorny branch.)

Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,719,956 times
Check if they are Chanticlear Pears. This variety grows much more upright than Bradford Pear and is excellent at resisting wind damage. The pears are small, good for critters to eat, but not very tasty for humanoids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston