Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 PM

16 posts, read 57,639 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking here for a couple of months during my husbands job search so I hope I give all the correct info to get some great answers! BTW I have found this message board entertaining, informative and very helpful (suck up to get some help for a first time poster ). I should also say that I lived in Houston about 10 years ago and we are only two hours north of Houston currently, so we feel good about buying.

My husband has two job offers, one in Stafford right off of 59, one in the Galleria area. From my extensive research (on this site) I am guessing that Sugar Land will be our best bet (although not my pick but I am still excited). Here is what we would like, an older home 70's or 80's, mature trees, 2750 sq. feet or above, really good elementary schools (I should have put this first because it really is the most impt.), and would like to stay under 240K. Also we are not stuck on Sugar Land, would be willing to look at all suggestions.

Thanks again for any advice and help, we will hopefully be getting this done within the next six weeks...

Jane

If you could I would like the names of some good Elementary schools, good neighborhoods, and good zip codes to check into. Most importantly any I would like any place that I should avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
Sugar Creek.
Dulles Elem. is a good school. Sugar Creek was probably the first MPC in Sugar Land. Homes were built from the 1970's-1990's.

New Territory
Nice MPC, built in the 1985-2001?
Walker Station elementary is one of the best. People go to extensive lengths to live in NT, so their kids can go to this school. The Middle School is very good too. You should be able to find a home in your price range.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Default Walker Station Elementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Walker Station elementary is one of the best. People go to extensive lengths to live in NT, so their kids can go to this school.
Ain't that the truth? Like live in a rental house that needs $50-75K worth of repairs.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 AM

182 posts, read 768,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Welborn View Post
Here is what we would like, an older home 70's or 80's, mature trees, 2750 sq. feet or above, really good elementary schools (I should have put this first because it really is the most impt.), and would like to stay under 240K. Also we are not stuck on Sugar Land, would be willing to look at all suggestions.
Jane, strongly suggest you revise your wish list away from older homes. Building codes were pretty lax then, particularly with regard to energy efficiency. Ideally, it's best not to go much past 10 years old or you could be facing some extremely serious electric bills. I've been told that older homes here have virtually no insulation and often come with wood siding which needs replaced every 10 years or so. (Newer homes come with "hardy-plank" siding which looks like wood but is a concrete like substance)

I also don't think you'll find many older homes in Sugar Land. This whole area is just very new in general, and the older homes are on the best lots which command a price premium.

But either way I think you'll love it here in Sugar Land.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,524 times
We live in Ohio and my husband recently got a job in Houston. He will actually be closest to Sugarland. I was in Houston a few weeks ago and looked at a few homes in The Woodlands. The realtor mentioned that Sugarland had a high crime rate. Is this true or just a realtor trying to steer me toward only their properties. My son is a huge soccer playing looking to be recruited for college soccer and the high school and it's soccer program along with their academic program is very important to us.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suezinohio View Post
We live in Ohio and my husband recently got a job in Houston. He will actually be closest to Sugarland. I was in Houston a few weeks ago and looked at a few homes in The Woodlands. The realtor mentioned that Sugarland had a high crime rate. Is this true or just a realtor trying to steer me toward only their properties. My son is a huge soccer playing looking to be recruited for college soccer and the high school and it's soccer program along with their academic program is very important to us.
FBI statistics show Sugar Land as the 5th safest USA city of its size. It has also won numerous other awards for livability. The school rankings are excellent, too.

The commute from Sugar Land to The Woodlands would be AWFUL. We did it one weekend as tourists and I won't be driving there again any time soon. I can't imagine doing that every work day.

Does this realtor specialize in The Woodlands, by any chance?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
The Realtor probably works in The Woodlands area. Sugar Land has some of the lowest crime in the area. The drive from Sugar Land to the Woodlands would be miserable. you are looking at 55-60 miles one way depending on where you live. And I would say 50% or more of the crime will be in the northern area of Sugar Land that borders Aleif. Avoid: Townewest, 4 corners, etc. in the future Sugar Land May just let Houston Annex these areas (one can hope) Or demolish it...Well that would be my utopia...but oh well.

Crime Statistics for The Woodlands, The Woodlands, TX - REALTOR.com
Crime Statistics for Sugar Land, Houston, TX - REALTOR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezinohio View Post
We live in Ohio and my husband recently got a job in Houston. He will actually be closest to Sugar Land. I was in Houston a few weeks ago and looked at a few homes in The Woodlands. The Realtor mentioned that Sugar Land had a high crime rate. Is this true or just a Realtor trying to steer me toward only their properties. My son is a huge soccer playing looking to be recruited for college soccer and the high school and it's soccer program along with their academic program is very important to us.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Jane, strongly suggest you revise your wish list away from older homes. Building codes were pretty lax then, particularly with regard to energy efficiency. Ideally, it's best not to go much past 10 years old or you could be facing some extremely serious electric bills. I've been told that older homes here have virtually no insulation and often come with wood siding which needs replaced every 10 years or so. (Newer homes come with "hardy-plank" siding which looks like wood but is a concrete like substance)
This might be a dumb question, but does this go for all subdivisions, even those in NW?

I often read on the MLS listings how some of the older homes have been "remodeled" to be more energy efficient. Are those ok to buy?

Do you think people will keep steering away from older homes?

I just don't care for the newer ones due to the lack of mature trees and shade!!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Does this realtor specialize in The Woodlands, by any chance?

It bothers me that in good faith a realtor would steer a newcomer to a Woodlands property knowing when their place of employment is in Sugar Land.

All I want when I am ready to look and buy is someone who is honest and who will not BS me.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Ok, this is like the tenth poster in a week talking about hiring in Stafford. What company is in Stafford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston