U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,756,389 times
Default Best area, schools etc close to downtown

We are looking at a potential move to Houston for work. I would like to be closer in to downtown and activities, but don't want to spend a fortune.
What are the best areas, considering school districts and safety, that are an easy commute to downtown?
Our budget is under $800k but we would rather pay much less and live stress free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 AM

8,850 posts, read 14,769,438 times
Briargrove (not Brairgrove Park), West U, Tanglewood. All good for public all the way through Middle school. Still good for High School, however opinions and tolerance levels are split on this. If you can find anything in the Eastern portion of the Memorial Villages, 77024, that's liveable for that price... you can't get much better than that anywhere in town for schooling and location.

I'd suggest Bellaire, I just don't like the stuff they build around there. Also, anything near Chimney Rock, south of 59, is just not where I would want to be

All easy drives in. Houses will be older and sometimes smaller than the communities outside the Beltway, but for a commute free life it's very nice.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-27-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM

759 posts, read 2,125,595 times
I second 77024, Zoned to Memorial HS. you may can find an older fixer upper...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM

24 posts, read 65,023 times
I agree with the memorial area--the public schools are great here. If you go west of the beltway, you will be zoned to great schools too, but for hs, some people are starting to doubt where Straford High is headed. (but the houses are a less)

Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 PM

Actually Stratford is ranked 247 in the country and in the Top Tier for Houston. It's always been a good school, and recently it's starting to become even better. It has retained it's 5 status for sports. Besides, if you live east of Kirkwood you can just ask to go to Memorial and you can. No buses provided for you though.

But west of the Beltway is too far out to commute to downtown, especially when you can afford closer in.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:23 PM

783 posts, read 1,111,703 times
For elementary only - this area has a good reputation:

Travis Elementary-HISD Vanguard School located in the Houston Heights

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM

24 posts, read 65,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Actually Stratford is ranked 247 in the country and in the Top Tier for Houston. It's always been a good school, and recently it's starting to become even better. It has retained it's 5 status for sports. Besides, if you live east of Kirkwood you can just ask to go to Memorial and you can. No buses provided for you though.

But west of the Beltway is too far out to commute to downtown, especially when you can afford closer in.
I know Stratford is a good school--I personally am not one of those that thinks "it's going down." BUT, in the community, there is beginning to be some prejudice about the school. If it were me moving to the area, I would choose a home that was in the Rummel Creek, Memorial Middle, Stratford High zone. I think living in the "gray" area that you described is a great idea for parents because then you and your child have a choice of the two very different high schools.

My OP was in no way meant to be a slam on SHS.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM

hmmm, I own in the area and have nieces and nephews in Stratford, this is the first time I've heard that the school was slipping. Actually, I've heard the reverse. That with the rezoning of Memorial a few years back, some social problems are pretty bad.

It's either an upper class area with kids from barrio type areas , or upper-middle class with kids from apartments around Tully Stadium. Either one is just as good or better than any off these exurbs schools.

But you know the whole Memorial area ...it can be very petty.

<shrug>

Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM

11,278 posts, read 16,875,917 times
With some exceptions, you can pretty much name where you want to live with $800K and be able to send your kids to private school if need be. Some people in the city do
homeschool too.

If your kid(s) want to go to a state university (UT, A&M, UH etc.) it really doesn't matter where they go to high school. They're going to spend half their high school years being drilled with remedial TAKS crap no matter where they are, and lower performance only means it'll be easier to get automatic acceptance to a state university for finishing in the Top 10 percent of their class. That's harder to pull off in the "desirable" schools, but the rule applies to every high school in the state.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM

759 posts, read 2,125,595 times
Looks Like Clements is now the only recognized one of the 3...Maybe due to the changing demographics in the fringes of spring branch???

See below:

Clements High School
Stratford High School
Memorial High School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston