Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,289,443 times

Advertisements

Great Places in Houston is Missouri City, Pearland, Sugar Land due to the closeness of Downtown, the medical center and Galleria. Its perfect.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 AM

564 posts, read 2,037,378 times
I believe I read an article that talked about a rise in the number of African-Americans moving to Pearland as well, specifically into Shadow Creek Ranch. There seems to be a natural migration from some of the older predominately black neighborhoods in south Houston such as South Union, South Park, South MacGregor and Sunnyside to some of the newer subdivisions being built in southern Houston as well as Pearland/Fresno.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Yeah...isn't it kind of...I don't know...backwards to go looking for a "black" neighborhood?

$200K isn't likely to get you much in Houston, though. That's for sure. If you don't have to drive to work, you can look outside the city proper and get more for your money.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah...isn't it kind of...I don't know...backwards to go looking for a "black" neighborhood?

$200K isn't likely to get you much in Houston, though. That's for sure. If you don't have to drive to work, you can look outside the city proper and get more for your money.
No, it is not backwards looking for a black neighborhood. Any why in the world would you believe so.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, it is not backwards looking for a black neighborhood. Any why in the world would you believe so.

I agree, it's not backwards for blacks to look for a black neighborhood, Asians to look for Asians, nor Hispanics to look for hispanics. It's only backwards, racist, and totally dispicable for white people to look for white neighborhoods.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,699,818 times
The answer to the OP's question is parts of Sugarland, Mo. City, Richmond, and Stafford.

Simple answer to a simple question

Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I agree, it's not backwards for blacks to look for a black neighborhood, Asians to look for Asians, nor Hispanics to look for hispanics. It's only backwards, racist, and totally dispicable for white people to look for white neighborhoods.
Yeah there's quite the double standard there. Time for that to end and just know that just because some people feel more comfortable living around people like themselves does in no way make them racist - it is just a comfort zone. What I've found is that even though screaming that they want to live in a diverse neighborhood actually want at least 51% of their own and the other 49% to be diverse only so that there are small percentages of several different groups (then they consider it diverse but not overly so. It isn't always racist sometimes it is just human nature and comfort zones.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

101 posts, read 474,407 times
Smile Hope my suggestion helps...

An older African-American community such as Third Ward near TSU, UH but those homes are older and need restoration. Many are gorgeous, some are massive but they exceed your price range because of location, location, location. But, as one stated already, if you have the money you can just about live anywhere. Houston is diverse but I understand your question. So, here's what I say....

If you don't want to be too far but not too close from the downtown areas, you should consider Pearland. It's a safe, diverse, affluent area. built my home here because of these reasons. Tom Bass park is a beautiful, natural park with a walking trail, water and greenery. A mall is developing & there's many shopping (Marshalls, JCPenney), groceries (Super Target, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS,etc), doctors, dentists offices. Pearland is a master-planned community. Shadowcreek and Silverlake are also nice communities -- all on the west end. Although I'm moving, I would recommend this area.

I'm actually preparing my house to put on market...very well kept in Sun Rise Lakes. My community is on the newer, west end near Highway 288 -- exit 518. My home is an open-floor plan, 12 foot ceilings, ceramic tile, carpet in bedrooms, 3/2, silestone countertops, crown moulding, fireplace, etc. non-smoker

Although I'm packing up, I would recommend this area. I am a young affluent so trust me, I'm selective for quality areas. Why am I moving? Well, as I stated in my previous thread, I'm looking for convenience at this point in my life. I can do away with the yard and get a condo or patio home.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM

157 posts, read 315,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I think everyone in this thread totally misunderstood the question. I'm glad I'm not in Houston.
Amen ChicagoRon. It appears to me you don't see the level of rudeness on any other location but Houston.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM

157 posts, read 315,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Dictionary definition of "Affluent" = "having an abundant supply of money or possessions of value"

I'm not sure why genuine attempts to be helpful are being met with such hostility!
People do tend to respond unfavorably to rudeness. Are you surprised by that? Have social skills completely disappeared in Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston