Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 173,883 times

Advertisements

To be more exact here is where I will be working Houston Pavilions. I dont mind a commute (30-45 min).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM

29 posts, read 173,883 times
Thank you. Are there apartments in the Woodlands?

What about colleges? My wife is going to graduate school to finish her education. Are there any colleges close to Woodlands, Sugar Land, Houston?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Oh great, the whining begins.

Thanks.
Yeah, with that way of thinking it may be a good idea for someone to stay in Orange County, California..

Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandelaria View Post
Thank you. Are there apartments in the Woodlands?

What about colleges? My wife is going to graduate school to finish her education. Are there any colleges close to Woodlands, Sugar Land, Houston?

There are apartments EVERYWHERE. Most of them are brand new, even!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,750 times
Quote:
Personally after visiting Houston, I think we both are nuts to leave SO CA.
You probably are nuts. I had friends visiting out there (California, not Texas) just last week and they were desperate to get out because of all the smoke. Seems like the entire state is burning again and that has become an annual event. Smoke masks are as common as cell phones. People who smoke don't have to buy cigarettes, they just inhale. Even the seals at Sea World are refusing to jump because of all the smoke. The Mexican government is building a wall at Tijuana to keep Californians from entering illegally. Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger is considering putting Maria in charge and he's emigrating back to Austria. Jay Leno is turning the Tonight Show reins over to Conan a year early and moving to New York City. . . and that ain't all.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:19 PM

200 posts, read 899,992 times
Also check out Kingwood and the Woodlands if you are working downtown. These areas are built into a forest with loads of trees and bike paths to walk and bike on. Very pretty. I would move to Kingwood in a minute if I was not working in Sugar land. Kingwood is an easy commute they say to downtown.

Ok I am not whining. I just like CA. No humidity, great weather, beaches that are clean, diversity, Napa and the Wine Country, San Francisco, Palm Springs, San Diego, LA. Need I say more.

Granted I can pay cash for a house in Houston but I still know it is hard to leave California, but I sold my house now and have to relocate.

I bet Texas is nice too for everyone thinking I am whining. I just hate the bugs and the weather.

And I am not NUTS but someone who appreciates the state. You get used to earthquakes, fires and traffic but not certain I can adapt to humidity. The hotest I have ever been was a month ago in Houston when I visited.

Someone please tell me there are special brands of hair gel for that climate or I will look like a wild woman constantly

Old 07-04-2008, 06:59 PM

106 posts, read 307,174 times
LOL you can get used to earthquakes and fires but not humidty? Which of those three are potentially deadly? LOL that is just bizarre to me.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
IF you care to be near the water, there is always the ClearLake, SeaBrook area. I live on SeaBrook Island...a neat little neighborhood which sits on Taylor Lake. We love the water, so our boat is right in our backyard. And minutes to Galveston Bay. The yards are full of tropical plants and Queen Palms...a very beachy, flip-flop type of community. My husband works in downtown Houston and commutes everyday...no biggie. Leave by 6:30-6:45 and it is an easy commute...taking 35-40 minutes. Leave later and you'll hit some heavy duty traffic.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
LOL you can get used to earthquakes and fires but not humidity? Which of those three are potentially deadly? LOL that is just bizarre to me.
It seems bizarre to me, too! I was in Los Angeles during the San Fernando earthquake of 1971 and in Seattle in 2001 during the Nisqually earthquake and both of those experiences were far more scary than humidity could ever be. Those few seconds of wondering if you were going to die by being crushed underneath a falling building were not pleasant.

It really seems like a shame that people have to move here who don't want to be here. Life is too short to be somewhere that makes you miserable. (The weather in Seattle made me miserable but I didn't realize how much it was bothering me until I moved somewhere sunnier! If my husband and I had known how much the cloudy gray drizzle was affecting our moods, we would have tried to relocate sooner).

Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM

200 posts, read 899,992 times
I guess I am just upset and might as well clear the air. I do not want to leave CA because it is my security blanket all my friends. Husband and I separated and he moved to another state. I have to support myself so I had to find a job and Houston was the place I found one. I have a unique professional field and nothing is avail. in CA. I am just bummed and guess I am looking for something to complain about and why should I be complaining. I have a job when so many do not. I can put up with Humidity and visit CA

Sorry but that is the total reason I was whining.

How far is that water area to Sugar Land. Is it a possible commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston