U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 6,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Oh boy, how will we ever live this one down if it actually happens?
Get ready for the late night jokes.

Houston church plans to erect 200-foot crosses along I-45 | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
Where on I-45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 AM

11,412 posts, read 17,652,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee454 View Post
Where on I-45
In between the strip mall and the strip club, next to the billboard. Yes, that one.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 AM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee454 View Post
Where on I-45
Near the Beltway.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM

6,608 posts, read 9,765,552 times
Not sure what the fuss is all about really -- in a city with no zoning and hideous billboard for everything imagineable and topless all-nude signs high in the air - what difference does it make. Other than the fact that it is a Christian symbol and some people are afraid it will somehow put a guilt trip on them by just existing or that it may encourage their neighbor to suddenly have the urge to try and convert them. .............whereas a huge sign advertising all nude won't have the same impact I guess. Seriously though, there is so much visual clutter along our roads that honestly - I have not seen it except on television - I drive the area all the time and I am amazed I never noticed it but I guess it is due to tons of eye clutter all over the place.

I do find a bit odd that two churches so close to one another are going to have one. I think some of it may stem from the fact that people are so tired of being told they can't mention Christianity or even say Merry Christmas that those who are, just want to say "yes, we can." It has gotten so that in order to avoid offending that it can't be mentioned but yet other religions seem free to do so -- perhaps those churches just decided to say it's our property so we are going to scream what we are to those who say we can't. Beats me.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM

5,623 posts, read 7,608,582 times
I drive up and down I-45 at least a few times a year and I've never seen this cross. How far away from the freeway is it?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 6,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Christianity is one of the most successful business operations in the history of the world!!

Another thought: The cross is also a cultural symbol. If a prominent foreign or minority group erected a massive symbol of their culture in a point of gathering, the leftists would squat down and kiss their asses before complaining.

Maybe the words foreign and minority would not be spoken, if Christianity and cross were interpreted as God not man instructs. I would see (no pun intended) the above scenario as fair representation.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM

11,412 posts, read 17,652,349 times
I'd rather do something different, myself. I want to build a point of non-gathering. It would have a 300-foot hand with an upturned middle finger, with giant lettering that says "GO AWAY." There should be at least four or five of these along every freeway leading out of town and maybe even at both airports. I'll shorten the finger monument if the FAA insists. They're no fun.

Yes, this sounds absolutely sublime to me. Marking our city indeed.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I drive up and down I-45 at least a few times a year and I've never seen this cross. How far away from the freeway is it?
Right next to it. You absolutely cannot miss it. It just went up so I'd bet it wasn't there yet last time you drove by.

I'm not a fan. I don't think there should be giant anything (billboards, flashing neon ads, crosses, whatever) lining the freeways.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 PM

366 posts, read 1,000,058 times
Is it the cross here on the left? Sorry for the poor quality

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/Zi6_9999.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
its a rocket in disguise. time will come and you'll all be left behind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston