U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM

37 posts, read 170,325 times

Advertisements

I have a home being built in spring and i got a quote of 400$ for a framing inspection and 125$ per reinspection does anyone know what a framing inspection should cost in a 3800 sqf house. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,786,862 times
from one website...

New Construction Inspection

Construction Foundation Inpection.......150.00
Construction Frame Phase Inspection.....200.00

Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM

25 posts, read 137,588 times
Why would you want to spend money on framing inspections if this is a new house. Only reason I could think is that your building for yourself and your not sure what to look for. But on the other hand all new homes get inspected at many stages by the local building inspector. They will not let you move to the next stage if you fail an inspection. So dont waste your money having another third party look at the house, theres no reason for it

Old 02-23-2007, 05:02 PM

with the amount of construction that goes on in houston the city inspectors can not and will not catch everything since i posted the question i had an inspection done by a private inspector after the city inspector had already came out and gave the go ahead. my private guy caught several things the city guy did not catch and he went back to verify it was corrected properly. now is that a waste of money

Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM

If you pay someone they will find something wrong with anything. An inspector licensed by the state of texas will not pass a job if something is wrong, he puts himself at risk no matter how busy things are. What if I may ask did this inspector you paid extra to find wrong. If it was something major I would complain to the local building department.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:42 PM

your joking right you have obviously never had a home built or even seen one built once the drywall is up no one knows whats going on behind there. the reason for an inspector are these two words "BUYER BEWARE"

1. The inspector found a rip in the a/c duct. which would have cost me hundreds in electrical bills and i would have never known why.

2 Missing insulation around the windows. $$$$ electrical bill

3. A nail shot in a speaker wire for surround prewire. Short circuit in speakers

4. large tree within 20 ft. of foundation. Possible plumbing problems

None of these things will make the home fall down but would have been costly to fix after the fact so the $200 i spent gave me peace of mind and may have saved me problems in the long run

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM

I have been building houses for over 30 years, and probably in that time built over 500 homes. I have never once had a customer ask to have an outside inspector look over the house. I have done city building inspections for the last 9 years. Yes some builders are just curbside builders and never leave there trucks to look at there jobs. I guess thats where the problems happen. Alot of these outside inspectors are just tradesman that could not make it in the business, they dont have to be licensed. And if there is something that they dont catch its not there fault and there not accountable to anyone. Sorry to hear you had some minor problems but there fixed, these kind of problems can happen at anytime since so many pople are working on many areas of the house. Im glad you have piece of mind with the money you spent. Hope the rest of the project is a smooth journey.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: