Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Mass transit is slow, inflexible, inconvenient, monstrously expensive, and delivers no significant environmental benefits. Did I mention monstrously expensive? So yes, they were very farsighted.
show me the numbers that compare the cost of light rail to the cost of building more highways. Figure in the added pollution from the cars on the highway as a healthcare cost (tell me how on earth you conclude that mass transit has no environmental benefits!). Figure in the cost of gas to the people driving. Show me a solid economic comparison to back up your assertion.

Then, I'll tell you that personally, I think it's worth the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,765 times
It's because we don't have anything like this because of Senator Cullbertson.

YouTube - The Bullet Train "NOZOMI" Part4 Okayama-Shin Osaka

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
show me the numbers that compare the cost of light rail to the cost of building more highways. Figure in the added pollution from the cars on the highway as a healthcare cost (tell me how on earth you conclude that mass transit has no environmental benefits!). Figure in the cost of gas to the people driving. Show me a solid economic comparison to back up your assertion.

Then, I'll tell you that personally, I think it's worth the cost.
I believe there is an environmental benefit to be sure. The economic benefit is actually problematical. All rail transit systems have proven that they cannot support themselves. If they try, they would not have riders as the cost/benefit for the individual would weigh heavily toward individual transportation. As it stands, these systems are generally 70% (or greater) dependant on tax support so the perception to the individual is that it is more economic to take the train. Local funding of the operation costs for mass transit (especially rail) has become a hot issue so much that the feds are now considering a bill (passed by house a few weeks ago) to help bail out the locals for operating costs in addition to the funds set aside to help construction.

While rail is a grand idea, do you really want your taxes to jump considerably to pay the operating costs for all this?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I believe there is an environmental benefit to be sure. The economic benefit is actually problematical. All rail transit systems have proven that they cannot support themselves. If they try, they would not have riders as the cost/benefit for the individual would weigh heavily toward individual transportation. As it stands, these systems are generally 70% (or greater) dependant on tax support so the perception to the individual is that it is more economic to take the train. Local funding of the operation costs for mass transit (especially rail) has become a hot issue so much that the feds are now considering a bill (passed by house a few weeks ago) to help bail out the locals for operating costs in addition to the funds set aside to help construction.

While rail is a grand idea, do you really want your taxes to jump considerably to pay the operating costs for all this?
But what I'm saying is that to assess the cost properly, you can't compare it to zero, you have to compare it to the cost of building and maintaining roads.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM

410 posts, read 1,675,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
It's because we don't have anything like this because of Senator Cullbertson.

YouTube - The Bullet Train "NOZOMI" Part4 Okayama-Shin Osaka
That's Congressman Culberson. At his town hall meeting he said (paraphrasing) anything tx.dot wants, tx.dot gets.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I don't get it. Wouldn't people use it all the time? Is the govt talking about it? Houston is such a big city, they should put in a metra....
To answer your question, because it is Houston where politcians are beholdent to Tx.Dot. Seems like it is an on going process of building roads and then tearing them down. Now, with the coming of the single rider paying a toll for riding the HOV it will get worse.
But don't forget we have that lightrail to nowhere downtown.
In this day and age to not think of putting in mass transit from the burbs to downtown is ludicrous. I am not just talking of metro, but how about that bullet train, Why not?
By the way you may want to look at Michael Skelly running against Culberson.
Things need to start changing and fast.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,102 times
Intermodality » Blog Archive » Commuter rail: fast but right

There is talk of having some form of commuter rail by 2012 using existing freight lines.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I don't get it. Wouldn't people use it all the time? Is the govt talking about it? Houston is such a big city, they should put in a metra....
They could put it to my front door and I probably still wouldn't use it because I prefer to take my own transportation. There are people w/o their own transportation who need it and desire it. Just because it is there doesn't mean that everyone would use it. Some will, some won't. It comes down to their personal choice and needs.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
They could put it to my front door and I probably still wouldn't use it because I prefer to take my own transportation.

This is part of what some call a "Texas attitude". I personally feel the same way. And I'd rather bring only myself vs. carpooling.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM

That's fine but others feel differently. Some people will have that point in which they feel mass transit will be more adventagous, but it certainly should be an option.
A few co-workers of mine have now gone to Metro to get to work, as I may be doing soon. With the cost of gas going up almost daily even carpooling with 2 is no longer cost worthy. I never believed I would even consider Metro but I am open to it and the thought of not driving and being left off right in front of my place looks pretty good. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston