Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 PM

16 posts, read 39,180 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I am a newbie to Houston and this site!! I moved here couple months ago, and am now looking ( or rather) thinking to buy a house. Since my husband and I both are new graduates, we are looking for something as a starter home. something less than 220 or so.

He works at The Woodlands, so we are thinking of either spring area or The woodlands. we are definitely looking for the area that has a better resale value. would that be woodlands area or Spring?
Also, what part of spring is considered better area? any zip codes, street name etc ( I read somewhere in other forums that Spring ISD is not so great) If you have any realtors on mind that work in spring and the woodlands, and have patience of a saint, please let me know.
also, it might sound funny but just out of curiosity: Say I have an avg looking so-so house A in a great neighborhood, and I have an amazing house B in an avg location, which house would have a better resale value?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonian08 View Post
Say I have an avg looking so-so house A in a great neighborhood, and I have an amazing house B in an avg location, which house would have a better resale value?
House A would be a better investment if you plan to sell any time soon. The number one saying in real estate is, "Location, location, location."

Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
It is almost always better, for resale purposes to be the second tier home in the first tier neighborhood. Prices tend to average out for neighborhoods, so if you are in the less expensive home, your value will be pulled up, whereas if you are in the most expensive home, your value will tend to be pulled down.

I would look at 77379 on www.har.com. The Klein/Champions area might be what you are looking for. You tend to get a little more bang for your buck, the school district is great, and you are still close to the Woodlands without the heavy fees and taxes.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
I agree with Supermac, Klein is a great area and only 20 minutes south of The Woodlands with top schools. When you hear that Spring is not so great, you are hearing about the vicinity of Spring ISD, if you go west of I-45, this is a much sought after area. The Woodlands is great if you can afford to live there, you should come check out both areas.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM

What is a resale value in Klein, west of I-45 spring area to that of The Woodlands? Is it better to invest a lil more in the woodlands for what its going to be worth? how about Shenandoah, is it part of the woodlands? I looked up some of the addresses and it comes out as Spring, I am kinda confused about what area is actually considered as
" The woodlands". Does anyone the appreciation rate in the Spring area and The Woodlands? Is there a significant difference?

Any recommendation on any realtor for the woodlands and spring area? Thanks a bunch!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM

136 posts, read 894,136 times
I used a great realtor when I sold in the Woodlands. Am I allowed to tell her name here?? Well I guess it will just get deleted if I'm not allowed to. Yvonne Duell. She works for Coldwell Banker in the Woodlands - Research Forest branch I believe.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM

18 posts, read 57,818 times
If you look in The Woodlands 77382 had the best resale values according to a Chronicle article a couple of months ago though 77380 and 77381 were fine as well...

Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
The Woodlands has great resale value, homes sell for 97% of the list price. Shenandoah will not have the same resale value and should not be considered if resale is important to you.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 88,319 times
If you want to look in "The Woodlands" use HAR.com. You can search in location 107 - Woodlands and 95% of what will show up is actually in TW. There are homes in nearby areas that will fall into the same group, but are not actually in "The Woodlands." We are moving to TW because we know that the reputation of the area helps sell homes. We also love the way the area is maintained and the amenities that are nearby. It will cost more to buy a home, because the area appears to maintain values better than other areas of Houston. The 1960/Champions area (where I grew up in the 80s-90s) has not seen much appreciation in the past 5 years. The neighborhoods are nice and I think Cy-Fair ISD is still a good district, but resale value is better elsewhere. The Spring area is nice, but if you want to live near The Woodlands, you might as well pay a bit more to live in The Woodlands. That is why we are building in the newest village.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info .

Catwoman, What is TW? I didnt quite get it.

Skyangel, You mentioned Shenandoah doesnt have much of a resale value? Why's that? It is so close to the woodlands and to be honest I dont really know where exactly Shenandoah starts? How about the new community thats being built
" Tuscany woods" is that in " The Woodlands" or Shenandoah?

Rick, will look into that Zipcode. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston