U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 AM

46 posts, read 134,152 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston next month from Michigan and I have just discovered that b/c my daughter will not be 5 until 9/19 that she has to go into another pre-k program? This is crazy. Does anyone know of any way around this rule? My husband and I do not want to pay another year of what looks like glorified pre-school and our daughter is ready to start kindergarten, which she would have if we were not moving to TX. It also looks like we would need latchkey b/c we both work and all of this is going to end up costing more than what we were paying for pre-school. And no, we do not qualify for any free programs.

I did a search and someone mentioned in a post there is a waiver available to sign? Does anyone know of other parents who have done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 AM

796 posts, read 2,536,072 times
That has always been the rule here, my birthday isa 9/25 and I also had to wait the following year to start school and I am almost 40 now!
I never heard of a waiver but maybe you could check into a private school.
Hopefully someone on the board will be able to advise you.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM

8,979 posts, read 15,648,545 times
Private school is the only way around it. And then they may put you in "Bridge" anyway.

Being a summer baby, and going to school with those who had birthdays October-March, I can tell you that I was definately socially "behind" my classmates for several years. And kids are engaging in much more "mature" activites earlier these days. I don't think it's really a bad thing to hold a late summer baby back.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,786,862 times
is 9/19 the hard limit? and is being the youngest in the class a good thing? I have one coming early sept

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM

408 posts, read 1,133,005 times
I believe that 9/19 is a "hard limit". My daughter has a MAY birthday and when she started school I was amazed at the number of people that asked if I would hold her back. It's very common for parents to hold back boys with an August birthday even if they were born before 9/19. I had a neighbor who's son had an early August birthday and she started him in Kindergarten. Within weeks she realized she had make a mistake and wanted to pull him out of school. No dice... once you start, you must be in school. So she home-schooled him for a year and re-started him in Kindergarten the next year. Bottom line... 9/19 is the rule and the curriculum is designed for kids that age. I learned the alphabet and the colors when I started school. They will not be covering that here. The expectations are high.

If you have a summer birthday you will be among the youngest in your class. My daughter is 14 and it bothers her quite a bit from a social stand point. Especially now that the kids will be driving soon and she's younger than all of her friends.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

204 posts, read 1,109,793 times
That happened to me. I had to wait a year to start kindergarten. I never went to preschool though so I guess the cost didnt matter to my parents. I have always hated that I went a year late because my dad wanted me to be the oldest in class rather than the youngest. So im older than everyone I know by a year. The only thing you can probably do is put your kid in summer school after the first year so she can skip a grade later. I knew some kids that did that. Of course, summer school might be an added expense as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,717,012 times
This is frustrating but I don't think you can get around it. Even in private schools they often stick to this rule pretty hard. It is a real financial burden, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 125,538 times
Yes, always been a rule here and I hate it. I have 4 kids, 3 of which are born after September 1st - which is the birthday cut-off - (one is 9/27, one 9/13 and the other 11/4) and they had to wait as well. In fact, my almost 6 year old (11/4) finally starts this August. The other one will barely make it as his birthday is 8/27.

And yes, to qualify for Pre-K programs through your local public elementary, you have to be below poverty level, or a non-english speaking minority. Don't get me started on that.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,158,919 times
I started school when I was 4. My birthday is 9/13. Better to start the kid early. I did fine, without preschool and not knowing English when I started school. Was National Merit, went to UT-Austin, BS in Computer Science, MSCS, etc. Brother started UT-Austin at 16, being younger wasn't really an issue. Size and race were more of an issue (I was prevented from skipping a grade because I was too small). If anything, being younger than your classmates could be a good thing in that people may think you're smarter and have higher expectations.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,368,635 times
Yeah 9/1 is the birthday deadline, no getting around it. Thankfully it's the same in Philly where we are moving from, otherwise I might be just as irritated, my son has a 9/15 birthday, and I'm paying for daycare which is a lot more than pre-school, so that's a whole extra year of paying for me. I would consider holding him back even if he made the deadline, for competitive reasons so he'd be older in his class not younger, but since he's been in an academic daycare for a couple years he knows a lot already. His daycare in Katy does have private Kindergarten with a later deadline, so we'll have to think about that. Being from Mainline Philadelphia where the public schools are phenomenal and highly competitive, we will want to give him every edge we can so that he can get into any college in the country he wants to, not just a Texas school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston