Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times

Advertisements

I've just found out that my mother has been diagnosed with cancer & I'm flying to Florida to help her through her chemo treatments. My husband will be staying here and we need to find doggie day care for our 3 dogs. My husband works in Sugar Land and we live in Richmond (99 & Morton Rd area.) I've priced out Petsmart in Sugar Land but was hoping for a different option since their costs have been quoted to me at 40.00 per day

One dog suffers from severe separation anxiety so I need to have some one with them all day rather than having someone just come in and check on them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
It's not my intention to be patronizing, but investing some time in crate training can "cure" neurotic dogs. After the initial protest is over, the dog will start to feel more secure unsupervised in the crate than he/she ever did before loose in the house or yard. In the meantime, while I'm sure that you can find a much better rate than Petsmart, pampering your pets is an expensive endeavor. I don't know much about what Sugarland has to offer, but I'll DM you with some ideas later.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
A double dose of Benadryl seems to help dog neurosis as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It's not my intention to be patronizing, but investing some time in crate training can "cure" neurotic dogs. After the initial protest is over, the dog will start to feel more secure unsupervised in the crate than he/she ever did before loose in the house or yard. In the meantime, while I'm sure that you can find a much better rate than Petsmart, pampering your pets is an expensive endeavor. I don't know much about what Sugarland has to offer, but I'll DM you with some ideas later.
I appreciate the advise and look forward to the DM. I think you don't realize the extent of the problem though or understand that I already have a lot of dog training in my background. The dog in question is a rescue that we've had for over 7 years now. I don't know what he went through prior to our rescuing him but we have successfully worked through all of his problems except his fear of firecrackers and his separation anxiety. I am a firm believer in crate training and 2 of our 3 dogs love their kennels. Unfortunately with this guy we haven't yet found a crate or kennel that can hold him unless he is sedated. We gave up after he broke two of his teeth and severely cut his muzzle getting out of the crate the last time. He is now 12 and I don't want to put him through more stress than I have to. Second problem is that my husband is working a lot of hours right now. Its not out of the question for him to be at work for 12 hours. Thats too long for the old guy to go without a trip outside. Thats why for the 3 weeks I'm going to be in Florida we thought it best to just day board them somewhere. Less problems all the way around.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
A double dose of Benadryl seems to help dog neurosis as well.
Along with a double shot of rum for the owner so you can deal with the mess when you get home. Never underestimate the determination of a Lab

Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Yeah Benadryl can do that. Some dogs are more sensitive than others. Mine with the allergies can take it no problem. The other one can't handle it at all. Maybe a little Pepto with the Benadryl will help that one next time.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
That sounds like such an excellent gig for someone between jobs who needs to make some extra cash. The major obstacle would be finding someone you can trust since they will be in your home.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,971 times
When I travel I have a live-in housesitter come stay at my house with my cats. When I get home from work I will call her and see if she travels to Richmond and what her availability might be. If she is interested I will send you a PM with contact information.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Along with a double shot of rum for the owner so you can deal with the mess when you get home. Never underestimate the determination of a Lab
I will certainly never underestimate the determination of a labrador. Pursuant to the disclaimer in my first post, I apologize if that was patronizing. I think dogs need to be managed in a particular way and tend to jump to conclusions when I hear things that don't match up with my personal theory of dog management.

There is a woman in Sugarland who breeds hunting strain Goldens and runs a boarding kennel and training operation for several characters of agility / hunting dogs (pointers, waterdogs, etc.). I'll look up her number and get it to you via DM this evening. She may be able to accomodate you.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Try Lori Haug, a doggie shrink. She's right off Lexington in Sugarland. If anything her office could recommend a day care.

I use Houston Dog Ranch for when I go on trips, but that's too far away for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston