Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
2dc 2dc started this thread

87 posts, read 420,098 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving out of Philadelphia for a better quality of life. I've narrowed it down to Houston or Atlanta. I'm a 23 year old single guy who works as a EMT, so can you give me some advice about Houston. I'm kinda hesitant to relocate to Texas because coming from the Northeast I hear alot of negatives about the state. Can anyone from the NY/NJ/Philly area share your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
pretty much everything negative you've heard is true. except its hotter and more boring. check back later when you have a family to raise and when youre ready to start playing golf or mowing lawns.
NJ has been voted to have the highest quality of life among US states. It goes downhill outside the NE so you should downgrade your expectations like really really low and maybe you can trick yourself in liking Houston

Old 07-23-2008, 12:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Moderator cut: edited

I haven't been to Atlanta in almost 8 years so I'm not sure if I can really give much of an opinion. I think the best way is to see is to take a visit to Houston and see for yourself. It's densifying very fast. Downtown is up and coming along with other areas around the city inside the loop. Don't listen to the negative people from northeast. Too often, they buy into the typical Texas Stereotype about Texas being cattle and grazeland. They rarely talk about what the big cities have to offer.

Last edited by da jammer; 07-23-2008 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Yes central Houston (mostly between the Galleria and Downtown) is getting dense and it is pretty nice. But also dense enough to stay inside your bubble because traffic is so bad, you don't want to get out to see what else is going on outside of that area. Some of the other ''central'' areas an EMT would more easily afford, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Most people here will help you steer clear of certain kinds of diversity unless that's what you're looking for. Usually when the phrase ''inner loop'' is tossed around, it normally doesn't refer to anything inside 610 east of Hwy 288.

But the Texas stereotype exists for a reason. There is still a little bit of cattle grazeland inside the Houston city limits!!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,169 times
Born and raised in NYC, what are some of the negatives you have heard about texas?? You cant compare Houston to some of the small towns in texas. Houston is a great city, the only negatives I would say too many illegals, a lot of bad drivers, and extremely hot.

I also hear that Atlanta is a thriving city, so I dont think you can go wrong either way, also Texas has no income tax.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
H-Town all day, more oppourtunity for a young man to grow and expand. I promise you Houston is more like Philly meaning how the city is set up and things to do. Your and EMS person so the Texas Medical Center is built like a city within Houston. I enjoy Houston for its diversity and the people are generally nice and there are things to do, a lot of single professional women. Nothing wrong with ATL but its not Houston. H-town does have bad-fast drivers, rains a lot, parts will flood,and tollways. Come on down and drive around the city from Conroe to Galveston Island.

Yeah people in the Historic 5th ward and Sunnyside and Third Ward ride horses and graze land but they do that to represent the old culture of Black Texas and the Buffalo Soliders of Texas (HISTORIC). I could care less about a someone who dosent know what they are talking about, your prospective could be different.

My thing is if you think your going to a place to br exactly like were your from, think again. LA is not NY Chicago is not Houston, and Miami is not ATL.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
To me Atl is too Afro-centric. I like the feeling of cultural diversity that Houston has.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
You mean in Hotlanta?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post

Yeah people in the Historic 5th ward and Sunnyside and Third Ward ride horses and graze land but they do that to represent the old culture of Black Texas and the Buffalo Soliders of Texas (HISTORIC). I could care less about a someone who dosent know what they are talking about, your prospective could be different.
What???

I agreed with your post until this paragraph. I have never seen a horse, cattle, or anything in 3rd or 5th ward. Maybe on days of a parade, i might see a person who is IN the parade riding a horse. But i'm in 3rd ward everyday and have NEVER seen a person riding a horse. There's no graze land or anything like that in 3rd ward. It may have been that way maybe 40 or 50 years ago when that part of the city was in the middle of the boondocks, but not today. So let's stop those myths.

Since some people on here insists there's cattle and grazeland in the city, I'll tell you where to find it. It's not innercity but its still in the city limits. Out there on almeda Genoa and areas around Mykawa by Hobby Airport on the southeast side. Again, its in the city limits but it doesn't feel like it because that side is very rural. Older ranch style houses that sit basically in the middle of nowhere. You can also find it in Fresno and in parts of Missouri City, Angleton, and Acres Homes/Northside. So cattle and grazeland Inside the loop? No. If so, it's very very rare.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Just to let you know. Most of the stereotypes you have heard of Texas are FALSE. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. But you must do your research for yourself and not base your perceptions from another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston