U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 17,855 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Houston area soon. He will be working at IAH. We are empty-nesters and looking for an apartment either in The Woodlands or in the Northern/Central area of downtown Houston under $1300 monthly. We don't know anything about the area other than research on the internet. We are coming from a middle class area in the midwest and will be looking for the same that isn't too far a drive from the airport. I would like to find out what I can about living in the downtown/northern Houston area or around the Woodlands area. I would appreciate any help with suggestions of better areas to consider and those areas to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 PM

3,586 posts, read 7,447,474 times
Why not consider Kingwood as well. It is a very short drive to IAH.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,395,317 times
I agree with Chris, Kingwood is a much better drive to IAH than the Woodlands. If you wish to go downtown, your best bet is the Montrose area/Museum District so you can hop on 59 and get straight to the airport.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Thank you, I will check out Kingwood. I have looked into Montrose area on the internet. Do you feel it is a safe neighborhood? Also, we are empty nesters in early 50's. How are the bars/clubs and entertainment in the area? Seems everything is going to the young crowd. Not that I don't enjoy that as well, but where are the party people in their 40's-50's (going on 30) partying? Is there such entertainment around Kingwood, Woodlands and Montrose?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,717,012 times
I agree with Poltracker; if you opt for living in town, Museum District would be a great choice. Lots to do, near the metrorail, and very easy access to freeways. Montrose will add another 5-10 minutes depending on time of day.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,395,317 times
If you are looking for greater entertainment opportunities, I would go with Montrose/Museum district. There is something for all age crowds there. Kingwood is more family oriented. Woodlands would work and so would Clear Lake but both of those are a considerable commute though the Woodlands would be closer to IAH.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 PM

328 posts, read 781,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearae View Post
Thank you, I will check out Kingwood. I have looked into Montrose area on the internet. Do you feel it is a safe neighborhood? Also, we are empty nesters in early 50's. How are the bars/clubs and entertainment in the area? Seems everything is going to the young crowd. Not that I don't enjoy that as well, but where are the party people in their 40's-50's (going on 30) partying? Is there such entertainment around Kingwood, Woodlands and Montrose?
Montrose is the most "eclectic" neighborhood in Houston, with lots of diversity, local retailers, antique shops, etc. There are many good restaurants in the area, especially further down Westheimer. Most of the bars in Montrose cater to the large gay population in the area. Montrose is the "gayborhood" in Houston... the nearby Heights area also has a large gay / lesbian population. It's as safe as any inner-loop area.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Default Looking for Home Sweet Home in Texas!

Does anyone know anything about rentals-apts, condos, houses in these areas? I am heading down to Houston in 2 weeks to look around these areas. We seem to be most interested in The Woodlands or Kingwood. But are there places to rent/buy around Lake Houston?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 AM

7 posts, read 7,159 times
Kingwood and the Woodlands are the burbs and they are close to IAH, but it's mostly restaurants, movie theaters, malls, etc...It's nice though and you should be able to find something for 1300 a month maybe less. Personally I don't care for the burbs, but I know that families feel safer out there. I do like the Heights, Memorial, Montrose and Museum area and it is not just the 30 something crowd that live in these areas. They are very eclectic areas. There are Victorian houses side by side with modern lofts. There are alot of nice little cafes and antique shops. But, they also have their share of crime, just like the rest of the city. Your husband will have about a 45 minutes to hour commute though. There are all kinds of things to do in Houston. Museums, parks, operas, country and western bars. It is truly a cutural diverse Metropolitan city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston