Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Kroger on Montrose, since I can walk there.
AKA "Disco Kroger"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 AM

153 posts, read 305,818 times
We divide up between HEB and Kroger usually.

HEB has better meat, their store brand is outstanding, and I like the produce selection better. The Kroger near us, though, has a slightly broader selection in some of the other things we buy. Like unsweetened juices, for example. We haven't tried shopping at the nearby Fiesta, but it was surprisingly nice when we went in a couple of weeks ago. We might have to try shopping there one week.

I was spoiled on the Woodlands Market before we move to Katy, though. Used to stop by there after work all the time. Fantastic.

Katy really needs a Whole Foods. I don't want to drive into either Sugar Land or Westheimer and Wilcrest to go there!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
I usually shop at Kroger's (there's a Signature store on 11th and a smaller one on 20th in the Heights), Fiesta (the Montrose location near the Menil, or the bigger one on Shepherd just inside the loop), HEB (near Timbergrove on 18th and TC Jester), and Whole Foods (Upper Kirby). Sometimes I'll get stuff from the SuperTarget near Reliant.

Winn Dixie used to have a presence in Northeast Texas where I grew up in the 80's. I don't recall ever having seen one here.

The cleanliness of the stores usually seem to reflect the area or neighborhood they're located in. I can think of several examples where some Kroger's/HEB/Fiesta, etc. are nicer than others.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I get most of my groceries at the Target Superstore. I mean, what can they do to a box of cheerios? But for all my fresh fruit, veggies and meats, I hit HEB or Randalls. Kroger here in Seabrook is disgusting!
Have shopped Publix lots while in Fl. HEB has it all over any Publix I've ever been in.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staykay View Post
On a recent trip to Houston (first time), I saw a lot about the city I liked: friendly people, open spaces and cheap housing prices (compared to south Florida). I am toying around with the idea of moving to that area.

One thing I was disappointed in was the grocery stores there. I wish I could remember names, but all the ones I went to were mediocre at best. In Florida, we have Publix, which I love.

Are there any nice grocery stores in Houston? You know: great selection, specialty items, really clean stores, helpful, polite employees. I think that pretty much describes Publix stores. In Houston, the best I saw were stores like Winn Dixie ( a topic of its own), which is not that great.

I really don't know where you were, but I have never even heard of a Winn Dixie in Houston. There are several Kroger's near me, a Randall's also close by. Central Market and Whole Foods are also very close and where I go for higher quality and more niche items. Spec's warehouse location on Smith St. is amazing for any wine you would want as well as cheeses and specialty items.

That being said, none of these stores are probably even within 25 miles of where you saw Winn Dixie as these mentioned stores are all in the city. There will be an upscale grocery store opening in the One Park Place building downtown before year end also. But again, likely nowhere near you.

And you think Publix is nice? interesting.....

Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
I guess because it's closest to home, I chose Foodarama. They are clean and the service is better than Kroger with the lame unions.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,767 times
In Houston, Feista!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I really don't know where you were, but I have never even heard of a Winn Dixie in Houston. There are several Kroger's near me, a Randall's also close by. Central Market and Whole Foods are also very close and where I go for higher quality and more niche items. Spec's warehouse location on Smith St. is amazing for any wine you would want as well as cheeses and specialty items.

That being said, none of these stores are probably even within 25 miles of where you saw Winn Dixie as these mentioned stores are all in the city. There will be an upscale grocery store opening in the One Park Place building downtown before year end also. But again, likely nowhere near you.

Coogs, I don't think the OP was saying they saw a W-D. If I read their post correctly, the OP was stating that the stores they encountered reminded them of a W-D (dark, dingy, in need of a little TLC)

Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 79,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post

I must have not been clear. I said the Houston grocery stores I shopped in were LIKE a Winn Dixie; it was NOT a WD. Texas isn't missing anything, believe me.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 AM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times
my wife and I like diversity so we split our groceries between Kroger and Fiesta off of South Post Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston