U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 52,704 times
Question Where do you buy your groceries?

On a recent trip to Houston (first time), I saw a lot about the city I liked: friendly people, open spaces and cheap housing prices (compared to south Florida). I am toying around with the idea of moving to that area.

One thing I was disappointed in was the grocery stores there. I wish I could remember names, but all the ones I went to were mediocre at best. In Florida, we have Publix, which I love.

Are there any nice grocery stores in Houston? You know: great selection, specialty items, really clean stores, helpful, polite employees. I think that pretty much describes Publix stores. In Houston, the best I saw were stores like Winn Dixie ( a topic of its own), which is not that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,515,052 times
maybe equivalent to Whole Foods? Whole Foods Market

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM

607 posts, read 1,063,434 times
If you go to the Central Market type HEB stores, they contain the goods and selections your looking for

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,190,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staykay View Post
On a recent trip to Houston (first time), I saw a lot about the city I liked: friendly people, open spaces and cheap housing prices (compared to south Florida). I am toying around with the idea of moving to that area.

One thing I was disappointed in was the grocery stores there. I wish I could remember names, but all the ones I went to were mediocre at best. In Florida, we have Publix, which I love.

Are there any nice grocery stores in Houston? You know: great selection, specialty items, really clean stores, helpful, polite employees. I think that pretty much describes Publix stores. In Houston, the best I saw were stores like Winn Dixie ( a topic of its own), which is not that great.
When we lived in Florida we shopped at Publix. Here in Houston I shop at HEB. I think it beats Publix by a mile!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 AM

328 posts, read 717,064 times
Kroger and H-E-B are the big ones here, along with Randalls, Wal-Mart Supercenters and Super Target. Kroger is OK, but like Randalls, the only decent deals are when you use their shopping card (which does give you a gas discount too). No card is required at H-E-B, Wal-Mart and Target, so at least the pricing isn't so opaque.

H-E-B reminds me a lot of Publix, especially their newer stores in the 'burbs. Like Publix, H-E-B is a regional chain. The H-E-B Plus in Pearland is fabulous, and apparently the one being built at the entrance to Sienna Plantation is going to be a Plus too (although smaller). I like that they offer many Central Market options. When you do get here by the way, you really need to check out H-E-B's Central Market in central Houston. It's worth driving too even from where I live (Sienna Plantation).

I really hate that we have so few Costcos here. The closest one to me is far away, and while I know a new one is soon to open inside the Loop, they're still absent from the southern half of Houston and especially the booming areas in the South / Southwest. I HATE Sam's Club.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

7,663 posts, read 17,107,723 times
Winn Dixie, wow... haven't really seen those here at all. They were all over Georgia though.

Kroger Signature stores will be the most common good store here. Much more common than HEB Central Market. HEB hasn't taken on here nearly as well as in central TX, and the one here in Clear Lake is small & not very nice. The nice HEB is about 12 miles away from me in Dickinson. Randalls here in Clear Lake is probably the nicest store in the area, but the customers pay for the overhead. A lot of us on the block use it because we can easily walk there.

Or you can do like the rest of us cheap skates... Super Wal-Mart. You may get lucky and have a Mariachi band play in the middle of the store! Just don't expect their produce to last longer than 2 days.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,094,540 times
We don't have Winn-Dixie here in Houston.

We have HEB, which owns HEB stores, HEB Plus, Central Market, and HEB Markets (Vintage Market & Woodlands Market). All are very nice stores, and many would say the best among our grocery chains. Stores are big, friendly, well-stocked, and rarely do I have to go anywhere else to get anything. I would say it is totally comparable to Publix.

We also have Randall's, which until about 5 years ago, were owned by the Onstead family. They started Randall's in Pasadena TX a very long time ago. Now they are owned by Safeway & Co. and they (especially the Flagship stores--their "upscale" branding) have suffered a bit under their tutelage. Ours by our home has actually been overhauled and is super nice looking, but their customer service sucks and the stock rotation is appalling (many expired items). It is also way overpriced. It is not the same Randall's, many would agree on that.

Another great, but limited store, is Rice Epicurean, and will probably always be my favorite. I believe there are 3 or 4 left in Houston, most within high-income areas. You pay a little more for stuff, but you GET what you pay for. Really nice things, but I find I do have to hit up a Randall's or HEB to get some things I need. Not necessarily because Rice doesn't have them, it's just that I can't bring myself to pay some of the prices. I don't complain though, because overall RE rocks.

Kroger....well, what can I say about Kroger?

Super Wal-Mart....again, not much there.

Fiesta was a Houston institution several years ago if you wanted great Mexican/Latin products, but now that most of our grocers have gotten wise to this, they carry the products themselves. Fiesta has closed some of their stores as of late. I always loved going in there--it was quite an experience!

Many discount groceries abound here--Sak-n-Sav, FoodArama, Food Town, etc...

I know Publix though, very well, and you'd get that or better at any HEB. They're really terrific, IMHO.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM

3,503 posts, read 6,842,025 times
HEB is great. You can get pretty much everything there and the staff is very helpful. Only complaint I have is that I find their fish and other seafood to be overpriced so we buy that at Walmart.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM

431 posts, read 791,659 times
Everyone seems to swear by HEB. I've only grabbed lunch at the one in Clear Lake. I'm a Krogers guy myself. When I think Randall's I think expensive.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,263,643 times
Yeah, I can go to a Kroger on the westside of town (like the Kroger on W. Gray) or out in the Katyland area and do pretty well. I don't shop at the Super Walmarts or Fiestas. And my only real problem with HEB is that they're all packed, it seems. Randalls is overpriced, for sure, especially the one in Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston