Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:28 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Do conservatives not like immigration even when it's legal and the immigrants are highly educated and skilled? This is shocking!
"Diversity" offends people that are racist and think that every black, Hispanic, Asian family is like the negative stereotype for them.

They think "diversity" means that they will be forced to live next to a drug dealer and a Mexican family with 20 people living in the same house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM

219 posts, read 226,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
"Diversity" offends people that are racist and think that every black, Hispanic, Asian family is like the negative stereotype for them.

They think "diversity" means that they will be forced to live next to a drug dealer and a Mexican family with 20 people living in the same house.
How common is this way of thinking?

Old 09-03-2017, 02:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I prefer Houston.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Some people just think diversity for the sake of diversity is silly.

You'll actually hear people that will criticize a neighborhood for being too white, but they would freak out if someone said a neighborhood was too black, too Asian or too Hispanic.

A neighbor can be a good neighbor and friend regardless of race. I don't see why people dwell on it so much.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Houston in winter , Denver In the summer.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Houston in winter , Denver In the summer.
Agree with what lipbalm wrote!

Now, I am originally from Denver (pause for gasps), so I can speak of Denver back when I lived there from as a kid to when I left in 2011. Since 2011, Denver has grown a lot and it reminds me nowadays of what has happened in Austin. I like both Austin and Denver, but both cities have seen a lot of growth and with that worse traffic and a higher cost of living. But, living in Houston bad traffic isn't exactly shocking.

Hmmm, personally, I can't stand the snow, so I like Austin and Houston in that regard. Denver snows in the winter, which is great if you want a wintry scene and don't mind the cold. I know a lot of Texans say, "Man, I'd love to see the snow!" so I guess it's personal preference. As lipbalm mentioned, summers are great in Denver and are perfect for the outdoors. When winter comes, Houston is a good place to be at.

I do believe that the food scene is Houston is much better than Denver; But with that said, you can still find diverse foods in Denver. I really like the BBQ scene in Texas, especially in Central Texas. I know Denver has changed over the years, but growing up, we would brag about eating BBQ at Dickey's, since to us that was true BBQ (Truly sick, right? ).

I think in terms of people, Denver has more of the mellow Cali vibe where people for the most part are laid back and easygoing and here in Houston the people have more of a Southern Hospitality type vibe. I've found people in Houston to be mellow too, just in more of a polite and genteel way (except of course when they're driving, bwahaha ).

I think with housing, Denver is a lot like Austin; Where home prices up to this point keep going up (which is great for people like my parents who have lived there a while), but not as good for people who just move there. I know home prices in The Loop are getting more expensive in many parts, so I guess home prices are going up all over, in both cities, and many others.

I guess at the end of the day it just comes down to what you are looking for. Colorado has great outdoors, an active craft beer scene (mmmm), and the Broncos () and Houston has mosquitoes! J/K, before there are any angry replies, Houston has a lot to do and a lot of opportunities and a ton of foodie options and a lot of neighborhoods to visit and have fun in. And if you like to travel to Central and South America or Mexico, Houston ain't far off from all those places (relatively).

Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
It depends on what you like to do. I say Denver. I recently moved back to Houston from Denver and I miss it a lot. I enjoyed my weekends in the mountains. Here in Houston, I just sit at home on the weekends trying to find something to do that I would enjoy. I'm bored here. That being said, we make more money here and live cheaper...and we live ITL.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
It depends on what you like to do. I say Denver. I recently moved back to Houston from Denver and I miss it a lot. I enjoyed my weekends in the mountains. Here in Houston, I just sit at home on the weekends trying to find something to do that I would enjoy. I'm bored here. That being said, we make more money here and live cheaper...and we live ITL.
Have you considered taking up sailing?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It seems Denver is quite the place. Anybody who's lived in both Denver and Houston that can give a comparison of these two towns. The good and the bad. I knoww Denver seems to have started redeveloping its downtown area before Houston and the Light Rail is better. Houston's catching up. Houston is probably ahead on restaurants and malls, and diversity.

But overall, which city is ahead overall?
I've lived in both. I can't see any justification for the hype in Denver. Downtown Denver isn't any more developed than Houston. Light rail isn't used much there, as both cities are heavily dependent on vehicles. Light rail, Metro, ehh.

Both have horrible traffic at rush hour. Houston and TX are much better at widening roads and fixing bottlenecks than Denver and CO, both in the quickness of moving into action, and the speed of ending the repairs (believe it or not). People might think construction takes long in Houston, but it's at least double the time in Denver. The "workers" there look like they're always on break(!)

Diversity and dining are much broader and richer in Houston. People are more of one vanilla type in Denver. Houston has all shades and varieties. I used to think that Denver might be better for white people, until I found that they are mostly cold, self-absorbed types. No fun at all. Denver has a complete absence of southern hospitality and open friendliness. People keep to themselves like they are too busy or important to talk to you. They get irritated if you try to strike up a conversation, though they'll hide it inside.

Cost of living is much higher in Denver, although Houston is catching up.

There are only few things I can think of that are better about Denver. You don't have to worry about hurricanes and flooding. The climate is drier and more comfortable. Of course, Denver sucks in the long winter months. Denver is hot in the summer too (a dry hot), so it's not necessarily a huge difference then. But overall, the lower humidity is nice. I've learned not to move or relocate based on weather though.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-06-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have you considered taking up sailing?
Funny thing, when we were moving back here I said I was getting a house with a pool, and a boat. So far I've done neither. I grew up sailing, and wouldn't mind having a sailboat.

I've been doing some kayaking and I enjoy that. There's a house in Summerwood that we like that is on one of the drainage canals. The neighbors kayak from behind their house out to Lake Houston, and that appeals to me.

I'm currently renting a townhouse in Rice-Military and I love bicycle riding on the various trails. I'm trying not to hate it here, but it's not easy. I miss the mountains and the cooler temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston