U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,540 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all, we are looking for a single family home in sugar land area for prize range 180K-230K. We went to see new territory area this weekend and discover that there are new constructions on Old Orchard (on FM 1464). We need some advice whether buy new home in old orchard or 5-10 year old home in new territory? We discovered that new territory falls into sugar land area with better schools while old orchard falls in to Richmond area. Are there any other things to consider? Any suggestion and advice are welcomed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
759 posts, read 2,979,930 times
Reputation: 232
I would say NT would be a much better bet. It is completely built out. The schools are excellent. There is also a good sense of community there. Old Orchard is newer, but is developing slowly. OLD orchard has been developing for over 5 years. Taxes will be a bit cheaper in NT too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,753 posts, read 12,806,432 times
Reputation: 3237
I don't know anything about Old Orchard but I can vouch for New Territory. We love living here.

PROS:
* Convenient Sugar Land location, closer in than anything considered Richmond.
* Lots of mature trees, parks, walking trails, etc.
* Amenities of New Territory Club (pools, classes, camps, etc.).
* Highly rated schools from elementary to high school.
* Proximity to whatever is being built in new commercial development for Telfair and at the old Imperial Sugar mill.

CONS:
* Not as central to Sugar Land's commercial amenities as First Colony (still a PRO in some ways because the feel is more residential and less crowded).
* Older homes that will require money to maintain and update unless the previous owner has already done so. We've looked at some homes with tremendous upgrades but they were priced $275K+ rather than the $180-230K you mention.
* Not yet annexed to Sugar Land. This is supposedly coming but hasn't happened yet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,540 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks a lot for your advices.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
 
19 posts, read 84,578 times
Reputation: 21
We recently bought a home in Old Orchard,though it is in Richmond,it still falls under Fortbend county which makes the schools in good ratings.Even the taxes are less than the New territory.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Houston
12 posts, read 40,237 times
Reputation: 14
What are people's thoughts on this subject now? We are in the exact same situation today as tex_08 was in August 2008. We will be moving to Houston in June and have about the same budget. Our focus has been on Greatwood because I will be working in our Greenway Plaza office and would prefer to use the SW freeway as opposed to the Westpark Tollroad.

It appears there are many homes to select from in this price range.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land
182 posts, read 715,848 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoclay View Post
What are people's thoughts on this subject now? We are in the exact same situation today as tex_08 was in August 2008. We will be moving to Houston in June and have about the same budget. Our focus has been on Greatwood because I will be working in our Greenway Plaza office and would prefer to use the SW freeway as opposed to the Westpark Tollroad.

It appears there are many homes to select from in this price range.
Greatwood's a very nice area especially if you've got a thing for golf. Certainly it gives you outstanding access to 59 now that the expansion is completed to Grand Parkway. The only (slight) negative is that Greatwood is zoned to Lamar CISD which is not as highly rated as Fort Bend ISD.

New Territory is in Fort Bend ISD - the Brazos River is the dividing line. It's a fantastic neighborhood though it does take a good 10 to 15 minutes to get to downtown sugarland, at least my section. However access to 59 is not bad. You can take 90A straight across, cut through Telfair to University Blvd, or go a few miles down Grand Parkway and pick it up there. Westpark Tollway is not really close to New Territory so I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't know Old Orchard but that area is getting a lot of development lately. Access to 59 is not real good from there and you'll be depending much more heavily on 90A.

I'd strongly suggest visiting each area and getting a feel for them. Each development here "feels" a little different and what suits one person (like, say the woodland's forest approach) might not fit with another. Best of luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 04:31 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 13,692,979 times
Reputation: 3650
New Territory and Greatwood are both very large. Old Orchard is smaller, directly across the road from a very similar development called Orchard Lake Estates.

I don't know much about Greatwood aside from it is in a different school district - Lamar CISD. It's right off Hwy 59, but for people who live way in the back of the subdivision it could be a long ride to get out.

New Territory is between Hwy 59 and Hwy 90. It's Fort Bend ISD and has great schools. Most of it is zoned to Austin High. The homes are mostly built in the 90's I think. It's built out. Everyone I know who lives there loves it.

Old Orchard is just north of Hwy 90, is still in development and maybe a little over half built-out. It's also Fort Bend ISD and zoned to Austin High. It backs up to the Houstonian Golf Course and is a few miles south of Aliana... very nice area. Though it does have a pool and clubhouse, it is just a subdivision rather than a huge development of several smaller subdivisions like New Territory or Greatwood. It's also gated at the main entrance, if that matters to you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Greatwood's a very nice area especially if you've got a thing for golf. Certainly it gives you outstanding access to 59 now that the expansion is completed to Grand Parkway. The only (slight) negative is that Greatwood is zoned to Lamar CISD which is not as highly rated as Fort Bend ISD.

New Territory is in Fort Bend ISD - the Brazos River is the dividing line. It's a fantastic neighborhood though it does take a good 10 to 15 minutes to get to downtown sugarland, at least my section. However access to 59 is not bad. You can take 90A straight across, cut through Telfair to University Blvd, or go a few miles down Grand Parkway and pick it up there. Westpark Tollway is not really close to New Territory so I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't know Old Orchard but that area is getting a lot of development lately. Access to 59 is not real good from there and you'll be depending much more heavily on 90A.

I'd strongly suggest visiting each area and getting a feel for them. Each development here "feels" a little different and what suits one person (like, say the woodland's forest approach) might not fit with another. Best of luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
 
344 posts, read 1,168,725 times
Reputation: 128
I moved to New Territory earlier this year and I'm happy I did. The commute to the Galleria is normally only 25 min. each way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 13,692,979 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Old Orchard is newer, but is developing slowly. OLD orchard has been developing for over 5 years.
Hmm, I believe the Old Orchard Golf Course didn't close until late 2005, so construction for the subdivision couldn't have started until 2006 or later. So that's three years or less.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top