Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,294 times

Advertisements

To MissDaisy, My house estimate is 185K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 AM

Hi LJarrett,

>> You will get a form at tax time to receive the credit.

This is useless as we thought that we can somehow get the credit RIGHT NOW so we can make a good down payment. So we have to wait 1 whole year to get the tax credit. That does not make any sense?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 AM

Hi LJarrett,

Actually we did not hire the Realtor or a broker for our process. The seller is the Realtor and she is gong to pay the closing cost. The house is 185K (including closing cost).

>>>>> you may qualify for a bond program if the state has money available.
Where can I find more information about the bond program.

>>> Also, the MCC (Mortgage Credit Certificate) credit is available when the state has >>> money for it.

Where can I get more information about this?

We don't want to involve broker as he/she will charge a lot of fees!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM

>>>> So, you must purchase a home this year and when you are doing your taxes at >>>>the beginning of 2009, you will also fill out this form and file it.

Where can I download this form? I searched online and they don't have it available anywhere?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJarrett View Post
Plus, as I understand it, if you purchase a house this year, sell it, and don't make enough off the sale to pay back the entire loan, the government will forgive the debt owed, even if you are in the house less than two years.
Jeez, that sounds like a recipe for fraud to me.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
>>>> So, you must purchase a home this year and when you are doing your taxes at >>>>the beginning of 2009, you will also fill out this form and file it.

Where can I download this form? I searched online and they don't have it available anywhere?
It probably wont be available until the end of the year since the earliest you can file your taxes is January.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 AM

I think this FTB credit thing is useless. I mean if they need to help the buyer they need to do it instantly. This means that the new buyers have to wait till they file their taxes and then qualify for the FTB credit.

Seems pretty useless!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
It's not useless at all...in fact, if someone nets out on their 2008 tax return with NO net tax liability, yet qualifies for the FTB credit, they would still receive a check for the credit!

Just because you have to file, and don't get to simply walk up to the counter and get the $$, doesn't make it useless...just means somethings are not subject to instant gratification...patience and planning are key factors..

When I bought my first home in Feb 1991, as a single mom, I can assure you that if I knew that I would be receiving a lump sum credit come tax time, you can bet I would have not had as many sleepless nights during escrow!!

chris_ut--BTW, when was the last time anyone gave you an interest free loan for up to 15 years? And why does the fact that it has to be paid back make you think it is worthless? Is only free good?? The credit was designed to stimulate the housing market, and at no cost to taxpayers...I am assuming you are a taxpayer, thus don't want your paycheck hit while others take a credit?

Like the saying goes--"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
I think this FTB credit thing is useless. I mean if they need to help the buyer they need to do it instantly. This means that the new buyers have to wait till they file their taxes and then qualify for the FTB credit.

Seems pretty useless!
This late in the year most folks know pretty much where their income will wind up December 31. That being said, you should be able to determine if your purchase and income fall within the guidelines for qualification, and proceed from there..

And even though you have to wait for the money til tax time next year, that is only a few months away (file early and electronically to speed the process)

Personally, if I knew now that a fat check was coming my way early next year, I'd be pretty happy.....

Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM

So, you have to request it on your taxes! Does that mean I have to fill a different form or something? I use online website to file my taxes hopefully that website will have an option to request FTB credit.

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston