Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 14,355 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be moving to the Houston area within the next few years. She is working on her Master's in Special Ed and i am working on my Master's in PA. I am interested in a law enforcement career in the Houston area. How is the pay and benefits offered by the Houston PD as compared to other adjacent areas? I'm planning on living in The Woodlands. Does their take-home car program have limitations in terms of living distance? I'd appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM

94 posts, read 278,070 times
I have been looking into PDs in the area also. All I know is Houston PD pay is very poor in comparison to the requirements of similar departments around the country. They require a BA and pay around 3k per month for new recruits. Similar PDs that pay that low in CA are in small 500 pop towns with 1-2 cops and don't require any degree.

I don't know the conditions but frankly for that pay I would not consider Houston PD - I'd go for a suburb.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamione View Post
My fiance and I will be moving to the Houston area within the next few years. She is working on her Master's in Special Ed and i am working on my Master's in PA. I am interested in a law enforcement career in the Houston area. How is the pay and benefits offered by the Houston PD as compared to other adjacent areas? I'm planning on living in The Woodlands. Does their take-home car program have limitations in terms of living distance? I'd appreciate any advice.
I'm just wondering why you think they would give you a city car to drive home? We have Houston police officers in the family, retired and active. Only one had a take home police car and that was because he was a training officer at the time.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm just wondering why you think they would give you a city car to drive home? We have Houston police officers in the family, retired and active. Only one had a take home police car and that was because he was a training officer at the time.
I guess its my South Florida mentality. Most if not all municipalities in South Florida offer a take home car program.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
I have been looking into PDs in the area also. All I know is Houston PD pay is very poor in comparison to the requirements of similar departments around the country. They require a BA and pay around 3k per month for new recruits. Similar PDs that pay that low in CA are in small 500 pop towns with 1-2 cops and don't require any degree.

I don't know the conditions but frankly for that pay I would not consider Houston PD - I'd go for a suburb.
Definitely food for thought, but I'm sure your research will prove that most adjacent jurisdictions pay around the same thing. For example, Harris County pays a little more but you have to accrue over 200 hours of comp time before they start to pay you over time.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,268 times
good pay and the best bargaining agreement in the state in san antonio, both FD and PD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: