Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times

Advertisements

What about Missiouri City?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
I am black first of all...

Secondly, black folks in Texas don't pool their wealth together as there isn't an African-American affluent area in Houston such as Atlanta where there are several for whatever reasons on acres....we rather define our status by living amongst caucasians or the hot, new area instead of reinvesting in areas we dominated and making it an affluent area

I think we missed the boat in 3rd ward years ago as the homes in Riverside, etc. are on the high-end side and out the reach of the average person or you're living in the bottoms...no middle class

1st generation blacks with college degrees and young families populated Missouri City, FB County in the 70s and 80s as that became an area with alot of potential. Once the whites left, we had great success in the area and schools such as Willowridge....however, which goes back to slavery, we allowed ourselves to become divided and watched everything we worked for at Willowridge, etc. fall apart

Black folks in Houston rarely believe in reinvesting back where they came from as its not "cool" to live where you grew up....we've lost alot of areas we had as hispanics have dominated areas such as South Park which used to be all-black.

If we were smart, South Park, MLK (by the rail line), Hiram Clarke, etc could become a great tear-down area for blacks like the heights, etc. with all that cheap land and freeway access but we can't sell that dream because it's not "cool"....

You look at South Park...it looks like the heights in some areas as the homes are similar....

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I am black first of all...

Secondly, black folks in Texas don't pool their wealth together as there isn't an African-American affluent area in Houston such as Atlanta where there are several for whatever reasons on acres....we rather define our status by living amongst caucasians or the hot, new area instead of reinvesting in areas we dominated and making it an affluent area

I think we missed the boat in 3rd ward years ago as the homes in Riverside, etc. are on the high-end side and out the reach of the average person or you're living in the bottoms...no middle class

1st generation blacks with college degrees and young families populated Missouri City, FB County in the 70s and 80s as that became an area with alot of potential. Once the whites left, we had great success in the area and schools such as Willowridge....however, which goes back to slavery, we allowed ourselves to become divided and watched everything we worked for at Willowridge, etc. fall apart

Black folks in Houston rarely believe in reinvesting back where they came from as its not "cool" to live where you grew up....we've lost alot of areas we had as hispanics have dominated areas such as South Park which used to be all-black.

If we were smart, South Park, MLK (by the rail line), Hiram Clarke, etc could become a great tear-down area for blacks like the heights, etc. with all that cheap land and freeway access but we can't sell that dream because it's not "cool"....

You look at South Park...it looks like the heights in some areas as the homes are similar....
I'm black as well. I agree with what you are saying. To be honest, I personally like upscale predominately AA neighborhoods. But I'm always nervous to say it because people on here will attack me. That's one reason that's really keeping me from considering to move to Houston in the near future. I just like black neighborhoods esp good ones. That's just a preference. I'm from a small city that's 60%-70% black and go to an HBCU. It's in me. Also coming from Alabama where racism is still present, living around blacks is so comfortable to me. When whites see a bunch of us, they get all scared and leave which is annoying. Many of you have said that Houston doesn't have these types of neighborhoods and areas (upscale AA). Also, it seems like Houston and the metro's black percentage is decreasing, which is something I don't care for at all. I could consider Atlanta, but I'm so over it after having lived there for many years. Houston is still on the radar for me but I'm still learning and I'm trying to learn how great and big the AA culture and population are there. This is just how I feel.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
I think people just get bent out of shape because if a white person asks about a white neighborhood, the automatic assumption is that they are racist in their motivation. So they don't feel it is fair turnabout for a black person to ask about a black neighborhood and not be labeled racist. For people who are not racist, being called one is a huge slap and there isn't much a person can do to disprove that label as it is an "opinion" by another. However, it would be sweet it people could just lighten up and realize that sometimes people prefer to live an an area with those who are similar while others prefer mixed. Sometimes is a personal choice with no evil motive behind it. The assumptions and labels come from history - history that happened when many on this board weren't even here. If people could leave history in the past where it belongs and move forward into today, conversations, words, phrases, neighborhoods would be probably all be a bit more carefree but that just doesn't happen.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Missouri City Pearland Teal Run Stafford are decent areas. Sucks that Willowridge is declining but Hightower and Elkins are great schools.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Here are a couple of houses I found in Riverside Terrace.

3602 S Macgregor Way, Houston, TX 77021 - HAR.com

3346 Parkwood Drive, Houston, TX 77021 - HAR.com

2615 Riverside Drive, Houston, TX 77004 - HAR.com

Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think people just get bent out of shape because if a white person asks about a white neighborhood, the automatic assumption is that they are racist in their motivation. So they don't feel it is fair turnabout for a black person to ask about a black neighborhood and not be labeled racist. For people who are not racist, being called one is a huge slap and there isn't much a person can do to disprove that label as it is an "opinion" by another. However, it would be sweet it people could just lighten up and realize that sometimes people prefer to live an an area with those who are similar while others prefer mixed. Sometimes is a personal choice with no evil motive behind it. The assumptions and labels come from history - history that happened when many on this board weren't even here. If people could leave history in the past where it belongs and move forward into today, conversations, words, phrases, neighborhoods would be probably all be a bit more carefree but that just doesn't happen.
Yeah, and that's the thing.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM

96 posts, read 234,363 times
Quote:
I think people just get bent out of shape because if a white person asks about a white neighborhood, the automatic assumption is that they are racist in their motivation.

Was coming in to post this and now I don't have to! The double standard in society today is appalling.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Well I hope the OP found the home he/she was looking for and I for one don't think it is a big deal that they asked about a specific neighborhood that is majority black. Simple question and several people replied with some very good neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
Quote:
Well I hope the OP found the home he/she was looking for and I for one don't think it is a big deal that they asked about a specific neighborhood that is majority black. Simple question and several people replied with some very good neighborhoods.
Exactly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston