Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM

308 posts, read 633,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
OK, so you are saying that if I was to start a thread asking for upscale white areas to live in, that I would not receive flack for it. Be honest.
No, but if you said this in your post you would be excoriated, and rightly so:

" ... we are searching for other ways to help him develop a stronger sense of racial pride and identity."

Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,426,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think people just get bent out of shape because if a white person asks about a white neighborhood, the automatic assumption is that they are racist in their motivation. So they don't feel it is fair turnabout for a black person to ask about a black neighborhood and not be labeled racist.
Two points:

1. Asking for an African American neighborhood is more like asking for a Polish or Irish neighborhood... or a Cuban, Japanese, Korean, etc... completely different than asking for something as broad as a white neighborhood. Because of slavery, the majority of African-Americans have little idea where exactly in Africa their ancestors came from. Therefore they celebrate a collective African-American heritage... there is no "Caucasian" heritage to embrace because most know the history/nationality of their ancestors that came over from Europe.

2. The OP did ask for an affluent black neighborhood... which, let's be honest, is somewhat rare even in most big cities. Asking for a white affluent neighborhood is laughable, considering most affluent neighborhoods are predominantly white.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
Except you missed my point that some people who look for that aren't racist. I don't really give a flip about history because it is the past. It is a past that I had nothing to do with so I don't let it dictate my interactions with others unfortunately sometimes people are taught history should affect them and it hinders them in moving beyond it. Sometimes you just have to move on and let the past stay where it is. And that shouldn't impair someone from celebrating an ancestral history either. History can always be celebrated without it being a limitation.

They had a survey on television a few months back asking people if they preferred to be called 1) African American 2) Black or 3) didn't care. The majority (particularly the younger ones asked) preferred black because they didn't consider themselves African-American - they considered themselves American - they and their parents and often grandparents were born here and said that there was nothing African about them unless you dug way too deep back. I found that view interesting because it is contrary to what a lot of people think.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM

96 posts, read 233,292 times
Quote:

They had a survey on television a few months back asking people if they preferred to be called 1) African American 2) Black or 3) didn't care. The majority (particularly the younger ones asked) preferred black because they didn't consider themselves African-American - they considered themselves American - they and their parents and often grandparents were born here and said that there was nothing African about them unless you dug way too deep back. I found that view interesting because it is contrary to what a lot of people think.

reminds me of this quote:

Quote:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,057,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
OK, so you are saying that if I was to start a thread asking for upscale white areas to live in, that I would not receive flack for it. Be honest.
Here we go again,
YES, it's completely fine, I would be glad to help you
because I don't want anybody that thinks like that to live close to my house.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,057,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
reminds me of this quote:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt
Feel free to explain us why we don't speak an American language (Native American) and instead we speak a foreign language (English)

Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
unfortunately sometimes people are taught history should affect them and it hinders them in moving beyond it. Sometimes you just have to move on and let the past stay where it is. And that shouldn't impair someone from celebrating an ancestral history either. History can always be celebrated without it being a limitation.
Again, the OP may simply be looking for an affluent neighborhood where they share a common heritage. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with asking for recommendations of a predominantly Irish neighborhood. It's also no different than someone looking for a Jewish/Mormon/Muslim neighborhood.

Asking for a white neighborhood is simply too broad, and doesn't indicate a desire to embrace a collective heritage but rather a desire to exclude other heritages. That's why many will automatically question the intentions of someone who seeks that.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I'm not going to work up a sweat if someone asks for a white, black, hispanic or asian neighborhood unless I can tell that the motivation behind it is racist based on how the question is asked or what other criteria they put in their requests. Doesn't bother me what kind of neighborhood people ask for, hopefully the OP found what they wanted.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
reminds me of this quote: Quote:

- Theodore Roosevelt
Ever been to a Columbus Day celebration in an Italian neighborhood? St. Patrick's Day in Chicago or Boston? Oktoberfest? Eaten a Packzi in Detroit on Fat Tuesday.

E pluribus Unum - out of many, one... While we are "one" America, there is nothing wrong with celebrating and embracing the "many" that we come from.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM

ehh...history......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston