U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,908 times
Default What is the best way to switch from teaching into human resources?

I am teacher looking to make a jump into the business world. I really want to get into human resources. Alot of my teaching skills are some of the same in HR. i am just wondering if my degree and teaching experience is enough to apply for a good HR job OR if I need to go back to school. Also, i was wondering if I should go the MBA route instead. is there anyone who can offer me some quality feedback or have any possible connections to help me in making this transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM

861 posts, read 1,973,184 times
You could probably get an HR job as a Rep, but not a Manager to start with. Once you got the HR experience, you would be a great Management candidate. You just need to ask yourself if you mind "paying your dues" so to speak.

Good luck!

~K~

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 PM

63 posts, read 124,722 times
Hello:

I too am looking to get into the Human Resources field. From what I have found out is that you should probably either get your Masters in HR Management (Which is what I am also planning to do), or get a certificate in HR. There are a lot of laws that you must be familiar with so they will probably not want to hire anyone w/o some sort of HR experience. BTW I am currently in business (investment banking). All of the job postings that I have come across specify that you need experience. Good Luck Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 8,107,508 times
Start working toward certification through the Society of Human Resource Management and start networking in that group as soon as possible. It just takes one good connection to make the transition.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 16,908 times
I have thought about getting an MBA, in business management, but maybe a certificate could be the ticket in the door. Its just trying to find the best way to make the change, get experience and begin progressing. Do you have experience with HR? Will places hire me with my degree into an entry level position?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM

I have clients in HR. They are all members of SHRM and most of them have the HR certification but only a few of them have MBAs. Maybe go to SHRM and ask 10 HR professionals whether they would hire an entry level person with the certificate vs. MBA. Hopefully they won't say, "Do both!" The MBA is a much bigger investment of time and money to obtain.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 PM

14,288 posts, read 25,449,239 times
the fact that you have been a teacher is not going to translate financially at all into HR section--the skills that you need to have are not really recognized as valid because you don't have a degree and most of your experience is working with children or YA--

take it from someone who tried to apply teaching skills to other work enviornments---
it is difficult enough for someone with a degree to get a job--much less someone wanting to transfer in so to speak...
you won't get the same pay scale for experience either--
you are probably better off getting an MBA if you can afford it but most people would tell you that the business world is not that much better than teaching for most people--and I know how stressful and demanding teaching is...

Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the fact that you have been a teacher is not going to translate financially at all into HR section--the skills that you need to have are not really recognized as valid because you don't have a degree and most of your experience is working with children or YA--

take it from someone who tried to apply teaching skills to other work enviornments---
it is difficult enough for someone with a degree to get a job--much less someone wanting to transfer in so to speak...
you won't get the same pay scale for experience either--
you are probably better off getting an MBA if you can afford it but most people would tell you that the business world is not that much better than teaching for most people--and I know how stressful and demanding teaching is...
Some of my clients were teachers before they transitioned into HR. While their teaching skills were devalued when they first made the change (which is ridiculous because if you can manage a classroom of youth, you can pretty much do anything), their incomes now are 2-3 times what they were in teaching. The HR salary ceiling is MUCH, MUCH higher than the teacher salary ceiling. Even if you take an income hit in order to make the career change, you can make it up later as you advance in HR.

Both work environments are stressful. The difference is that you can be paid very, very well in the business world, which may help you deal better with the stress!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM

I dont have any experience in HR. I think that as long as you have a degree and the HR certificate then you should be able to find an entry level position. Probably wont pay as much as opposed to having the MBA or experience.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Yea but the money is better in business as oppossed to teaching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston