Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
$1.50/g would get me excited.
We all wish, but it ain't happening. Those days are over. We'd be lucky to see $2.50 again.

And to think that 6-7 years ago we whined when they hit $1.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM

44 posts, read 157,154 times
I filled my tank with $3.27 per gallon regular gas at Kroger on Eldridge Pkwy. There is a fierce competition between Shell and Chevron gas stations at the cross between FM-529 and Eldridge Pkwy. Shell offered regular gas at $3.27 yesterday. Last week, the competition went too far. The regular gas was priced at $2.25 and went up to $2.87 a gallon. The sheriff had to show up to help manage the line.

Get the most updated gas price in Houston, check this link: Gas Prices Tracker for Houston, Texas on MyFOX Houston | KRIV-TV | MyFOXHouston.com (http://media.myfoxhouston.com/special/gastracker/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideo View Post
I filled my tank with $3.27 per gallon regular gas at Kroger on Eldridge Pkwy. There is a fierce competition between Shell and Chevron gas stations at the cross between FM-529 and Eldridge Pkwy. Shell offered regular gas at $3.27 yesterday. Last week, the competition went too far. The regular gas was priced at $2.25 and went up to $2.87 a gallon. The sheriff had to show up to help manage the line.

Get the most updated gas price in Houston, check this link: Gas Prices Tracker for Houston, Texas on MyFOX Houston | KRIV-TV | MyFOXHouston.com (http://media.myfoxhouston.com/special/gastracker/index.html - broken link)

I heard about this and all I could think of is how worthless some folks' time is. $2.50 vs. $3.50 = $1 difference. People filling their cars with 10-15 gallons save a whopping $10-15 for what? Extra beer & cigs? Sorry but that's not worth waiting an hour among a crowd.

Now I could understand a lot more if someone had a dual 25 gal truck like some lawn services use, or a 40 gal truck/SUV. But the tanks would need to be near empty.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I heard about this and all I could think of is how worthless some folks' time is. $2.50 vs. $3.50 = $1 difference. People filling their cars with 10-15 gallons save a whopping $10-15 for what? Extra beer & cigs? Sorry but that's not worth waiting an hour among a crowd.

Now I could understand a lot more if someone had a dual 25 gal truck like some lawn services use, or a 40 gal truck/SUV. But the tanks would need to be near empty.
My thoughts exactly. Never mind that I never want to be driving around 529 and Eldridge for the traffic on a typical day.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 PM

44 posts, read 157,154 times
Quote:

tstone,

You're quite right. I saw (from TV) some folks having plastic fuel cans/containers in the back of their trucks. I would think the gas stations did have some kinds of quotas for each customer. Another trick the gas station might use is to cut price for only certain amount of regular gas while keeping the prices of other gas at the market rate. Then, let the regular gas run out.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideo View Post
tstone,

You're quite right. I saw (from TV) some folks having plastic fuel cans/containers in the back of their trucks. ...

Well if those guys were trying to store gas for awhile, I hope they added some Sta-Bil to it. Gas tends to varnish in storage in the heat.

Anyway prices around here have leveled off for now it seems. $3.50 in Clear Lake, $3.40 in Pasadena is what it's going for now.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,426 times
Quote:

I like the people who drive ten extra miles to save four cents / gallon. They make me laugh.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
I like the people who drive ten extra miles to save four cents / gallon. They make me laugh.
They're in league with the people who circle the Wal-Mart parking lot looking for a front parking spot, or blocking one of the lanes with their Land Rover (here's looking at you, lady at the Randall's on Westheimer/S. Shepherd yesterday afternoon around 2:30) because they see somebody approaching their parked car 50 feet away when there's another perfectly good spot with nobody in it three spaces up. If there was any justice in the world, they would be paying $14/gallon.

Not only that, the people sitting in line for three hours to get $2.80-whatever gas were probably running their engines in the parking lot to run the AC because it's too hot!!!

Just a stunt by the gas stations to sell more crap inside. Good old fashioned capitalism.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 77,943 times
I just filled up for 3.30 on Hwy 6 and Old Richmond.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM

24 posts, read 66,969 times
Well guys, we pay over $9 bucks a gallon for our gas in New Zealand. $7.65 for Diesel plus a mileage tax on top of the Diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston