U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 322,057 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU - THANK YOU is all I can say everyone. It's amazing what you can think of when you've decided to relocate, isn't it? haha We moved from a BIG city (Denver) to a small town outside of Jackson, Mississippi 8 years ago. And now we've decided to relocate. IT's time!! Heck it's BEEN time! Now that we've done everything there is to do here. (No it didn't take us all of the 8 years). We are BORED! And my husband's work has moved him to Texas. Thankfully. We're looking at Houston and the Ft. Worth area. I think we're leaning more to Houston though, because it's closer to the coast. This web site has been VERY helpful
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,294,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm surprised there are any dry laws around here at all. Houston never had them as long as I've been aware and the SW side burbs didn't have them either. I guess there's still a trace of that Baptist legislation here. (No shock it's on the east side either.)

Fort Worth area on the other hand, different story.
Nah...on the east side the chem plant rule. They just did not there workers coming in drunk. Hence why only the North side of Pasadena was dry.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,671,422 times
I'm just so thrilled to be able to buy beer and wine at the grocery store, you have no idea. In Pennsylvania we have one "state" store for wine and liquor, a separate store for cases of beer, and yet another store for six-packs of beer. If you want all three plus food for a party you're making four stops!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 PM

8,364 posts, read 28,853,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Nah...on the east side the chem plant rule. They just did not there workers coming in drunk. Hence why only the North side of Pasadena was dry.

I figured the east side is essentially where the deep south starts, hence the dry laws.

Trust me, many of those guys at the chem plants are all about the tobacco, alcohol and the bully attitudes that stem from the withdrawals of those. They can't consume anything else in their free time unless they want to be fired.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM

98 posts, read 289,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I'm just so thrilled to be able to buy beer and wine at the grocery store, you have no idea. In Pennsylvania we have one "state" store for wine and liquor, a separate store for cases of beer, and yet another store for six-packs of beer. If you want all three plus food for a party you're making four stops!
Actually, you can only buy six packs in bars (which tends to make them much more expensive). It's not a great place to be if you like to drink good beer and fine wine.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM

182 posts, read 727,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwvu View Post
Actually, you can only buy six packs in bars (which tends to make them much more expensive). It's not a great place to be if you like to drink good beer and fine wine.
I was just about to point that out (Recent PA transplant here). On the other hand, Beer was a LOT cheaper. A case of Yuengling was usually about $17 at the distributor. Here a 12-pack of Shiner usually runs $13. (swill like bud or coors light is a little cheaper) It may have been inconvenient but at least the distributors had good prices and selection.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM

98 posts, read 289,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
I was just about to point that out (Recent PA transplant here). On the other hand, Beer was a LOT cheaper. A case of Yuengling was usually about $17 at the distributor. Here a 12-pack of Shiner usually runs $13. (swill like bud or coors light is a little cheaper) It may have been inconvenient but at least the distributors had good prices and selection.
That makes for a tough comparison. Yuengling is considered a cheaper domestic session beer. Its possible Shiner sees itself as a craft brewer. This could explain the price discrepancies. My experience is that session beers (Budweiser and the like) cost about a dollar more per case down here. The selection of craft beers, and the ability to buy them in the quantity of your choice, more than makes up for this. FWIW, Yuengling Traditional Lager is a better beer than Shiner Bock (ducks).

Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,671,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwvu View Post
Um, I buy six-packs of beer at Target, and 12 packs too. They don't have both of everything but they have enough selection for me. And I would agree that Yuengling Lager is better than Shiner, but they are comparable in terms of style and availability on tap. From what I can tell they are both consider themselves somewhere in between a microbrew and a mass distribution beer...although Yuengling probably has greater distribution with their second brewery in Tampa now.

I met Dick Yuengling in a bar on the mainline once, and as a new grad in chem eng. he offered me a job. Too bad I couldn't take it, would've been fun!

Geez, now you've made me go and REALLY miss my Yuengling. I miss it more than I miss my own mom.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,130,169 times
I really miss being able to buy beer/liquor/wine 24/7 at just about anyplace - even convenience stores - sigh

Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM

619 posts, read 2,053,187 times
the concept of "dry" towns or areas are ridiculuos in the 21st century in america...in california since 1994 you cannot smoke in bars....in a few years there will be no talking and no drinking in bars!
p.s. im not a smoker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston