Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 AM

78 posts, read 347,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhbonds View Post
Ok. So my family will be moving to The Woodlands "area" within the next 6-9 months and I have some concerns and questions about being in the Woodlands. We are a very laid back family (4 kids ages 9,11,14 and 16). We don't overschedule our kids and I'm not a soccer mom. We love rock music and just hanging around the house. We don't go to church, my husband and I have both had several bad experiences with organized religion. But we aren't atheists or anything like that. We love good food, going out to eat and hanging around with friends for a few drinks. My question is, are there any other families in the Woodlands like us? Everything I've read is like soccer moms, super religious, kids that do 4 sports, you know, the super families. We are NOT that. So maybe we would be happier in another neighborhood? All "nice" suggestions appreciated!
The Woodlands would be great for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,474,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga gal in tx now View Post
Moved here six years ago specifically because I wanted a uniformed, predictable place to call home. If you have ever watched your home devalue because your neighbor painted their house purple with blue trim, or watched your public school system go down the toilet, you will understand this. Yes, you will pay higher taxes, MUD fees, and HOA fees, but you will also come home daily to a nice, relatively crime-free, litter free, yard trimmed, with no more than two dogs outside at one time Utopia. It's worth it to me!
No way?!! The Woodlands actually regulates the number of dogs you can have outside at a single time?! Seriously?!

I'm glad places like the Woodlands exist for people that like that kind of kitsch, but I'm also glad there are alternatives for people like myself. Your utopia doesn't sound like my utopia at all.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The people of The Woodlands are rude. They are quite anal at things.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 106,025 times
There are a lot of misconceptions about The Woodlands and the people who live there. The funny thing is, it’s spread *mostly* by people who have never lived there and have had limited contact with The Woodlands. Yes, there are million dollar + homes in The Woodlands; however, there are also homes that are only about $80K. I believe the medium is in the $180K area. Not everyone in The Woodlands area is rich, far from it. I mean, come on, there are over 80K people who live there, even more from the surrounding areas that participate in Woodlands amenities.

And then, Montgomery County has a lower tax rate (and insurance rates) than Harris County. The MUD isn’t more than most MUDs (and equals a much lower water bill than places without MUDs). I will say the HOA does limit each home owner to two dogs, but it is loosely enforced, and only there because you aren’t on a huge piece of land. That isn’t unique to The Woodlands either—every HOA I’ve looked at, unless acreage, limits you to two dogs. And when we were looking to move this last time, we looked *everywhere* in the Houston area (League City/Clear Lake, Sugarland, Katy, Cinco Ranch, etc, etc).

The Woodlands is just like every other area of Houston in regards to people. You get all types. You’ll have those that live pay check to pay check and those that have more money than they know what to do with. And how they behave will have no indication on which they are. Lol You’ll have those that are super religious and those that aren’t. You’ll have those that are heavily into politics/living through their children and those that don’t. I’ve been living in The Woodlands area for 17 years. I know what I’m talking about.

On the same note, I know very, very few people in The Woodlands who are super religious. As a matter of fact, I know more people who don’t go to church than do. Most of the people I know that go to church, go to mellow churches (i.e., jean shorts are the norm). I’ve very rarely had anyone try to “convert” me or push their church on me. Yes, there are some that mention it, but very casually and only if they think there is something that might interest me (Easter Egg Hunt for the kids).

Not everyone over-schedule’s their kids. I know several families whose kids aren’t in any organized activities at all. My kids are limited to two activities at a time, and I know many, many people who do that too. For my oldest that is Scouts (one hour, three times a month) and a sport (which varies). My middle one has chosen choir and a sport. My youngest is only interested in music, so it’s only one activity.

The Woodlands offers quite a bit. A great concert venue, a large mall, lots of independent stores, market street, big box retailers, hundreds of restaurants of every type (people drive from Houston to eat in The Woodlands), parks, hike-n-bike trails, ponds/lakes (even if man-made), is close to Houston and Lake Conroe, great school district, and much more. There are other areas in The Woodlands that allow you to take advantage of those amenities that don’t put you in The Woodlands too: Legend’s Ranch, Imperial Oaks, Benders Landing, Spring Trails, White Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Lake Windcrest, Crown Oaks, Westwood, Mostyn Manner, Carriage Hills, and many, many more.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,765,150 times
First of all...holy old thread batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga gal in tx now View Post
Moved here six years ago specifically because I wanted a uniformed, predictable place to call home. If you have ever watched your home devalue because your neighbor painted their house purple with blue trim, or watched your public school system go down the toilet, you will understand this. Yes, you will pay higher taxes, MUD fees, and HOA fees, but you will also come home daily to a nice, relatively crime-free, litter free, yard trimmed, with no more than two dogs outside at one time Utopia. It's worth it to me!
Nope, property/homes RARELY devalue, in fact, although little research has been done, it has been suggested that homes outside of a HOA controlled community actually appreciate more quickly. The current economic climate might make the 'rarely devalue' statement hard to swallow, but if you choose to bet against long term property value increases, your going to lose.

Quote:
The people of The Woodlands are rude. They are quite anal at things.
This is one of the more ignorant things I've seen stated on the web. The 'people' of The Woodlands are not rude. The people of the Woodlands are diversified and come from many different background just like the people that make up our great city of Houston. Yes, there are rude ones, but there are many nice people as well. Just because people have an income above average doesn't make them rude or anal. You'll find people of all humor and attitude in the woodlands, but generally my experience there has been very positive.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,714,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2dz View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about The Woodlands and the people who live there. The funny thing is, it’s spread *mostly* by people who have never lived there and have had limited contact with The Woodlands. Yes, there are million dollar + homes in The Woodlands; however, there are also homes that are only about $80K. I believe the medium is in the $180K area. Not everyone in The Woodlands area is rich, far from it. I mean, come on, there are over 80K people who live there, even more from the surrounding areas that participate in Woodlands amenities.

And then, Montgomery County has a lower tax rate (and insurance rates) than Harris County. The MUD isn’t more than most MUDs (and equals a much lower water bill than places without MUDs). I will say the HOA does limit each home owner to two dogs, but it is loosely enforced, and only there because you aren’t on a huge piece of land. That isn’t unique to The Woodlands either—every HOA I’ve looked at, unless acreage, limits you to two dogs. And when we were looking to move this last time, we looked *everywhere* in the Houston area (League City/Clear Lake, Sugarland, Katy, Cinco Ranch, etc, etc).

The Woodlands is just like every other area of Houston in regards to people. You get all types. You’ll have those that live pay check to pay check and those that have more money than they know what to do with. And how they behave will have no indication on which they are. Lol You’ll have those that are super religious and those that aren’t. You’ll have those that are heavily into politics/living through their children and those that don’t. I’ve been living in The Woodlands area for 17 years. I know what I’m talking about.

On the same note, I know very, very few people in The Woodlands who are super religious. As a matter of fact, I know more people who don’t go to church than do. Most of the people I know that go to church, go to mellow churches (i.e., jean shorts are the norm). I’ve very rarely had anyone try to “convert” me or push their church on me. Yes, there are some that mention it, but very casually and only if they think there is something that might interest me (Easter Egg Hunt for the kids).

Not everyone over-schedule’s their kids. I know several families whose kids aren’t in any organized activities at all. My kids are limited to two activities at a time, and I know many, many people who do that too. For my oldest that is Scouts (one hour, three times a month) and a sport (which varies). My middle one has chosen choir and a sport. My youngest is only interested in music, so it’s only one activity.

The Woodlands offers quite a bit. A great concert venue, a large mall, lots of independent stores, market street, big box retailers, hundreds of restaurants of every type (people drive from Houston to eat in The Woodlands), parks, hike-n-bike trails, ponds/lakes (even if man-made), is close to Houston and Lake Conroe, great school district, and much more. There are other areas in The Woodlands that allow you to take advantage of those amenities that don’t put you in The Woodlands too: Legend’s Ranch, Imperial Oaks, Benders Landing, Spring Trails, White Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Lake Windcrest, Crown Oaks, Westwood, Mostyn Manner, Carriage Hills, and many, many more.

Having a expensive house does not mean you are rich. They are also heavily in debt. Owning a primary home is not really a investment.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
First of all...holy old thread batman!

Nope, property/homes RARELY devalue, in fact, although little research has been done, it has been suggested that homes outside of a HOA controlled community actually appreciate more quickly. The current economic climate might make the 'rarely devalue' statement hard to swallow, but if you choose to bet against long term property value increases, your going to lose.

This is one of the more ignorant things I've seen stated on the web. The 'people' of The Woodlands are not rude. The people of the Woodlands are diversified and come from many different background just like the people that make up our great city of Houston. Yes, there are rude ones, but there are many nice people as well. Just because people have an income above average doesn't make them rude or anal. You'll find people of all humor and attitude in the woodlands, but generally my experience there has been very positive.

I am not saying they are rude as in disrespect but snobbish if thats the correct term? The Woodlands is diverse? Thats the least diverse city around Houston. I agree with you somewhat.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM

I find people in Katy to be humble.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM

78 posts, read 347,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2dz View Post

Well said!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Quote:
I am not saying they are rude as in disrespect but snobbish if thats the correct term? The Woodlands is diverse? Thats the least diverse city around Houston. I agree with you somewhat.
Thanks for re-phrasing, and yes there are some snobs in the woodlands, which by the way is not a city, it's a CDP, or master planned community.

The median income as of the 2000 census was like $85,000 so your not talking about independantly wealthy people here. Oh, and there are families living in the woodlands are are below the poverty level, but I supose they are probably snobs too eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston