Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 AM

439 posts, read 1,237,972 times

Advertisements

Wow you've only been there 3 weeks and you're already ready to go? You haven't even given the place a chance. Why did you move to the burbs? Seems like you'd be more comfortable in the city. Maybe you'd enjoy Dallas more if you did. I doubt you'll find what you're looking for in Houston. Best of luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 181,380 times
Default you can try Austin, it's a different city than the rest of texas

Austin is kind of liberal, neat, friendly and relatively small city comparing to other cities in texas. I moved from Austin to Houston two years ago because my boyfriend got a decent job in medical field in Houston. I know a lot of people moved to Austin from Florida and west coast and they all love it. Go check Austin to taste something you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,673,194 times
Best bet is Austin.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM

188 posts, read 519,128 times
Pick one...

Dallas = NASCAR/Snobs
Houston = Candy Paint/Otiose
Austin = Granola/Know-it-alls
San Antonio = "Family-oriented"/Immigrants

</stereotypes>

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM

188 posts, read 519,128 times
Austin is a chill city, but it's a rather small and vanilla place, so if you enjoy the size, culture and diversity of Miami - you're probably going to end up being disappointed in Austin.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,638,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Ok I posted a previous thread in the Dallas room about how much I regretted moving there (From Miami) and I got some helpful responses about moving to Houston; but most posters were actually angry at me for expressing my idea of choosing Houston instead of their Big "Dee".

The reason I said I didnt like Dallas is because everything seems to be hours apart; the people are arrogant (for little reason) conservative, defensive, religion freaks... (An increase in Blue votes doesnt convince me its not still conservative either) I just been so disappointed here and I been reading a different Houston visitors guides everyday to take my mind off of this; but of course they never show the real city.

I been thinking about Houston because EVERYONE who I tell I dont like Dallas keeps telling me to move to Houston. International,palm trees,lots to do, more open-minded people, beaches...Almost sounds like South Florida.

But; I dont want to move down and then be re-disappointed because next time I move I cant move again for another 4-6 months. I dont want that to happen if I dont like the place.

I want to make sure I dont end up regretting the next move...I've already been disappointed in 3 cities already in 2 years (tampa, miami, dallas). Anyone feel the same about DFW? Is Houston alot different from Dallas or just her big brother?

P.S. political polls leaning
If you move to Houston, you will want to move inside the loop, somewhere close in, near downtown. The Montrose or nearby areas would be your best bet.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,314 times
Try VT. Really I'm guessing your unhappiness is mostly a political culture thing, if so VT is the place for you. It's just like a blue TX, both were independent countries(only VT has forgotten) only difference VT taxes like it's supporting a couple of independent countries.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM

182 posts, read 765,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Try VT. Really I'm guessing your unhappiness is mostly a political culture thing, if so VT is the place for you. It's just like a blue TX, both were independent countries(only VT has forgotten) only difference VT taxes like it's supporting a couple of independent countries.
Did you just say VERMONT was like Texas? (Political leanings aside) Either you never went east of the Mississippi or I gotta get me some of what you're smokin'.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,131,339 times
WOW. 3 weeks and your already repacked!!!!!!!

It would take me three weeks just to unpack. I really don't think you are giving it a chance as it sounds the same with the other cities you have lived in.

Also one thing I noticed is you move from one major city to the next. try moving to a city off the beaten path, like Cedar Hill. It's close to Dallas but it's still it's own town.

It seems you keep doing the same thing and expecting something different.

I don't know you nor do I know anytihng about you so excuse me for my judgement but it sounds like you are not sure what you want to do.

Take it easy and relax. What is it that disappoints you about these cities?

Please explain further.

BTW, whatever you do stop compairing one city to the next. You always find somnething not right.

L.A. is not Chicago and St. Louis is not Columbus,Ohio just as an example. I hear people comparing places all the time. It you're looking for something similar to what you left why would you even leave in the first place. ( Generaly speaking, I not saying this directly to you)

I could go on and on but I'll wait for further explanation

CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Ok I posted a previous thread in the Dallas room about how much I regretted moving there (From Miami) and I got some helpful responses about moving to Houston; but most posters were actually angry at me for expressing my idea of choosing Houston instead of their Big "Dee".

The reason I said I didnt like Dallas is because everything seems to be hours apart; the people are arrogant (for little reason) conservative, defensive, religion freaks... (An increase in Blue votes doesnt convince me its not still conservative either) I just been so disappointed here and I been reading a different Houston visitors guides everyday to take my mind off of this; but of course they never show the real city.

I been thinking about Houston because EVERYONE who I tell I dont like Dallas keeps telling me to move to Houston. International,palm trees,lots to do, more open-minded people, beaches...Almost sounds like South Florida.

But; I dont want to move down and then be re-disappointed because next time I move I cant move again for another 4-6 months. I dont want that to happen if I dont like the place.

I want to make sure I dont end up regretting the next move...I've already been disappointed in 3 cities already in 2 years (tampa, miami, dallas). Anyone feel the same about DFW? Is Houston alot different from Dallas or just her big brother?

P.S. political polls leaning

Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Did you just say VERMONT was like Texas? (Political leanings aside) Either you never went east of the Mississippi or I gotta get me some of what you're smokin'.
Shhhh I'm trying to get all the lefties in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston