U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,573,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Will it be based on the Portland model?
No, the Portland model would cut out tolerance for Topaz's "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, some Californians, and all suburbanites and exurbanites.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
No, the Portland model would cut out tolerance for Topaz's "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, some Californians, and all suburbanites and exurbanites.
Exactly!

Portland is actually NOT the most tolerant place.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM

11,412 posts, read 17,652,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I propose tolerance for "church on every corner" Baptists
There's a Church's Chicken on every corner. Does that count?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,406,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - Well said MissDaisy! Rep points to you!
Thanks Va-Cat! and thanks for the rep!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM

684 posts, read 1,406,826 times
Quote:
I propose tolerance for "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls" activists, Californians, suburbanites, exurbanites, and even Inner Loopers. How about that?
...Hi Topaz!!

...Bugsy and Miss Daisy (my pommie and yorkie) are sad cuz ya left them out of the loop (dogs marrying dogs..)

...BUT they know you are a nice person, and are confident it was merely an oversight..

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,159 times
I've been to Dallas several times, but lived in Houston and now spend alot of time there. Personally I like the vibe better in Houston. To me, it's more Metropolitan and very culturally diversive. But, I agree with everyone else. Your so close, why not travel to Houston for at least a couple of weekends and just drive around and check it out.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 4,405,418 times
Quote:
I propose tolerance for "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls" activists, Californians, suburbanites, exurbanites, and even Inner Loopers. How about that?
Be careful Topaz, you'll be tab as someone who has an "open mind"

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Be careful Topaz, you'll be tab as someone who has an "open mind"
Pretty much, but as my former professor used to say, not so much that my brain leaked out.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 AM

463 posts, read 883,978 times
OK I am back; I been off here for maybe a week or two just checking out the surroundings here; but wasnt able to go to Houston this Labor Day weekend because earlier this week my car was 'exhausted' at all the driving from miami to here and the additonal miles since I been here (a few thousand miles already) and decided to 'pop' on I-30 so the repairs took a chunk out of a spontanious drive.

Anyway; I dont know. I got alot of helpful advice; for one Austin wont work for me. I just dont think so. I cant see it. Houston; well its starting to become less and less appealing. I think I just need to continue with plan B and go to the real western areas.

i told my roomies; that Im just not a Texas person. I just dont like it for some reason. I'm not even motivated to switch my tag or ID to anything Texasy.

I never chose to come here; I was just persuaded to come here and ended up angry, dissatisfied, and resentful. I even told someone the other day I wanted to go back to Miami of all places. Of course I dont think I would ACTUALLY do that; but I'd rather be there NOW than here.

I'll visit Houston as a ditch effort before I leave; but if I dont feel it; then Im done with this place and never looking back.

If it makes anyone feel better; yes I do like the economic factors of Texas such as lower overall living expenses which makes things easier (insurance, rent, etc.) but I cant stand everything else. So it doesnt make a difference.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:13 AM

463 posts, read 883,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not true at all...

Houston hasn't had a Republican mayor ever that I can remember, Dallas on the other hand has had many.

As far as religions go Houston is far more diversified than Dallas due to the very large international community compared to Dallas. In Houston you have religious groups from all over the world, Buddhism being one of the bigger ones from its increasingly growing Asian population.

Dallas is located smack dab in the middle of the "Bible Belt" while Houston geographically straddles that line.
THANKYOU! now I know I should continue west or North. Nothing wrong with the bible but Im not submissive for a belt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston