Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times

Advertisements

Ok I posted a previous thread in the Dallas room about how much I regretted moving there (From Miami) and I got some helpful responses about moving to Houston; but most posters were actually angry at me for expressing my idea of choosing Houston instead of their Big "Dee".

The reason I said I didnt like Dallas is because everything seems to be hours apart; the people are arrogant (for little reason) conservative, defensive, religion freaks... (An increase in Blue votes doesnt convince me its not still conservative either) I just been so disappointed here and I been reading a different Houston visitors guides everyday to take my mind off of this; but of course they never show the real city.

I been thinking about Houston because EVERYONE who I tell I dont like Dallas keeps telling me to move to Houston. International,palm trees,lots to do, more open-minded people, beaches...Almost sounds like South Florida.

But; I dont want to move down and then be re-disappointed because next time I move I cant move again for another 4-6 months. I dont want that to happen if I dont like the place.

I want to make sure I dont end up regretting the next move...I've already been disappointed in 3 cities already in 2 years (tampa, miami, dallas). Anyone feel the same about DFW? Is Houston alot different from Dallas or just her big brother?

P.S. political polls leaning

Last edited by UrbaneAspects; 08-19-2008 at 03:20 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
I answered in your previous post but I'll respond here again. I have lived in both and I do think Dallas and Houston have different vibes, overall. But I think you mentioned in your previous post that you lived in Arlington. If you move to Houston, move to somewhere like Montrose and not a suburb that looks just like Arlington.

Houston is laid back and unpretentious. People are friendly. There are beaches and yes, palm trees. Lots of other types of trees, too, this is a tropical type climate and it is lush and green. It is more humid here, so you have to be OK with that to be happy living here.

Houston is known for its museums, theater, and dining. It is a huge international city and there are lots of things to do, so you shouldn't be bored here.

Houston is within driving distance of Dallas...come visit and see whether you like it.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 AM

163 posts, read 908,562 times
If you don't like Dallas for the reasons you posted, trust me, you're not gonna like Houston either.

Houston is even bigger and more sprawling than Dallas, so it's still going to take hours to get anywhere. Traffic is worse there too.

Yes, it's closer to the beach, but um, have ya been to the beaches near Houston or Galveston? South Florida it is not.

And as far as the people go, Houston is even more conservative than Dallas by far, with religion playing just as big a role in the community. You might find people to be a little less pretentious, but not much.

I'd recommend you check out East Dallas, particularly the Lakewood area. It's a great area with a laid back, unpretentious vibe, when compared to Uptown, Downtown and other parts of Dallas.

If you're hell bent on leaving Dallas, I'd check out Austin before Houston. Austin sounds like it'd be more of what you're looking for.

Both cities are close enough for you to take a road trip for a few days to check them out.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Houston is nothing like South Florida. Nothing like Miami.

Dallas and Houston are different in my aspects, but over all they are both Texas.

Sounds like you are looking for something that you aren't going to find in a "place."

Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Seems to me, it's nothing a weeks vacation here in Houston can't solve. Why not find out for yourself, before making a life changing move? (again)

Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Sounds like you are looking for something that you aren't going to find in a "place."
Amen, sister. Moving from Dallas to Houston looking for something isn't going to make you happy. With all the city hopping you've done, I doubt you'll find what you're really looking for in any particular "place". I believe firmly in finding contentment wherever you are.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Some thoughts:

DFW is hands down MUCH more pretentious than Houston. People from DFW even say we look unkept. Texas heat + Florida humidity may have something to do with it though.

Houston and DFW metros are both massively sprawled at about 100 x 100 miles, with 500,000 more people living in DFW. So you're not escaping driving if you need to move around some. DFW has multilple suburb cities beside D & FW with populations over 100k. Houston only has one... Pasadena. Houston proper is much bigger than Dallas proper.

Dallas is in the west-center of Baptist Bible Belt while Houston sits barely outside of it. But Houston is still in the "Catholic Belt" that runs from NOLA to Austin and south. Religion is big here; look at the Lakewood Church for instance. However that is non-denominational. Church Belt does not equal Bible Belt. If you're harassed here North Texas style, I'd be surprised because I haven't living the vast majority of my life here.

There is a lot of outright anti-Hispanic/Mexican sentiment in DFW. Not as much in Houston as they are the majority here now, like the rest of Texas.

You're right about the beaches not being anything to write home about, but the same things could be said for the entire Texas coast.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
With all the city hopping you've done, I doubt you'll find what you're really looking for in any particular "place". I believe firmly in finding contentment wherever you are.
I sure wish people would stop saying that on a relocation board. People move all the time to find environments more to their liking. All types of external factors influence quality of life and person/environment fit. Things like weather, scenery, political and cultural and religious climate, cost of living, job market, proximity to friends and family, etc.

A person can be completely unhappy in one place and then very happy in a different place, sometimes for very random reasons. My good friend moved from Massachusetts (which she hated) to Texas (which she loves). She moved into an apartment building with a palm tree in the front yard and she says that every time she comes home, she still feels a pang of joy because she loves what the palm tree symbolizes.

Relocation boards exist to ask questions about different cities because people want to find the place that fits them. Maybe UrbaneAspects would be miserable in Houston, maybe not. Houston sounds better for him than Dallas would be...Austin might be better yet. But I doubt he will become happy in Dallas by going all Zen and meditating his way to peace. It just sounds like a bad fit for him there, although I suspect a lot of his misery has to do with living in Arlington rather than the areas that the Dallas residents suggested he explore instead.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
I been thinking about Houston because EVERYONE who I tell I dont like Dallas keeps telling me to move to Houston. International,palm trees,lots to do, more open-minded people, beaches...Almost sounds like South Florida.

I want to make sure I dont end up regretting the next move...I've already been disappointed in 3 cities already in 2 years (tampa, miami, dallas). Anyone feel the same about DFW? Is Houston alot different from Dallas or just her big brother?

Curiosity....why did you leave Miami to go to Dallas if you like diversity, palm trees, open-minded people, beaches, and lots to do?

3 cities in 2 years looking for the perfect place...? Forgive my cynicism, but I doubt you'll find it here in Houston (even though I love it!). Either way, good luck to you!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Ok I posted a previous thread in the Dallas room about how much I regretted moving there (From Miami) and I got some helpful responses about moving to Houston; but most posters were actually angry at me for expressing my idea of choosing Houston instead of their Big "Dee".

The reason I said I didnt like Dallas is because everything seems to be hours apart; the people are arrogant (for little reason) conservative, defensive, religion freaks... (An increase in Blue votes doesnt convince me its not still conservative either) I just been so disappointed here and I been reading a different Houston visitors guides everyday to take my mind off of this; but of course they never show the real city.

But; I dont want to move down and then be re-disappointed because next time I move I cant move again for another 4-6 months. I dont want that to happen if I dont like the place.

P.S. political polls leaning

Try Austin...Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston