Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:30 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
I know the beaches arent blue-green; probably downright "ugly; muddy, and murky" but coming from florida; or california...anything that looks like water with no sign of land in sight can give some kind of impression of a way out.

Mind you; I used to live about 2 blocks from the bay and went to school downtown where I was used to seeing water every single day for 2 years. In Dallas; no matter what area uptown, downtown, around town, behind town...there's no water and it gives a feeling of a claustrophopic feel, I just dont like it.
I feel the exact same way about being landlocked! Fresh water won't cut it either. I haven't been to the beach very often for the past couple of years, but I enjoy the scent and the breezes off the Bay/Gulf. I find it comforting to know the water is there as an option whenever I need a fix.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Mind you; I used to live about 2 blocks from the bay and went to school downtown where I was used to seeing water every single day for 2 years. In Dallas; no matter what area uptown, downtown, around town, behind town...there's no water and it gives a feeling of a claustrophopic feel, I just dont like it.
I grew up on a coast, too, and I feel the exact same way. It is hard to explain to people who don't get that claustrophobic feeling but I used to drive around Dallas with this weird sense of looking for something that I could never find. By contrast, I feel totally comfortable and at home in the Houston area, and even if the water near Galveston isn't always sparkling and blue, it works for me.

So, UrbaneAspects, a three day weekend is coming up...are you planning a road trip to Houston?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
[quote=Topaz;4926984, and even if the water near Galveston isn't always sparkling and blue, it works for me.

[/quote]

Isn't always? When has it ever been sparkling blue? A lighter shade of mud maybe.
It's the trash on the beach that kills it for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
People often are unhappy in one place and happy when they move to another place. But when one moves from place to place many times and is always unhappy about something I would suggest the problem lies within.

One problem in comparing cities is that a large city can have many different faces, depending on what part you live in, who you hang with, what you do, how much money you have, what kind of person you are, and so on.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Good answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
People often are unhappy in one place and happy when they move to another place. But when one moves from place to place many times and is always unhappy about something I would suggest the problem lies within.

One problem in comparing cities is that a large city can have many different faces, depending on what part you live in, who you hang with, what you do, how much money you have, what kind of person you are, and so on.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Ok I posted a previous thread in the Dallas room about how much I regretted moving there (From Miami) and I got some helpful responses about moving to Houston; but most posters were actually angry at me for expressing my idea of choosing Houston instead of their Big "Dee".

The reason I said I didnt like Dallas is because everything seems to be hours apart; the people are arrogant (for little reason) conservative, defensive, religion freaks... (An increase in Blue votes doesnt convince me its not still conservative either) I just been so disappointed here and I been reading a different Houston visitors guides everyday to take my mind off of this; but of course they never show the real city.

I been thinking about Houston because EVERYONE who I tell I dont like Dallas keeps telling me to move to Houston. International,palm trees,lots to do, more open-minded people, beaches...Almost sounds like South Florida.

But; I dont want to move down and then be re-disappointed because next time I move I cant move again for another 4-6 months. I dont want that to happen if I dont like the place.

I want to make sure I dont end up regretting the next move...I've already been disappointed in 3 cities already in 2 years (tampa, miami, dallas). Anyone feel the same about DFW? Is Houston alot different from Dallas or just her big brother?

P.S. political polls leaning
Not surprising they were "angry" with you for mentioning Houston. It's called Dallitude!

DFW is like a bunch of little suburb cities, each with their own identities. (I think Arlington is considered one of the less desirable by many accounts.) For example, all but one of Houston's Fortune 500 companies are located in the city of Houston, not the suburb cities. By contrast, most of Dallas' Fortune 500 companies are spread around its various suburb cities. You'll have people in places like Frisco who never even drive into Dallas; I think Houston is much less that way.

That being said, the Houston metro is still spread out and you'll still have to drive a lot unless you get lucky and your home, place of work, and entertainment are all located in the same part of town.

So compared to Dallas, is Houston more like south FL as far as diversity, palm trees, beaches? Yes. It's more like south FL, but it is not south FL. It's a different state. Is Houston more laid-back, less pretentious, more accepting than Dallas? Probably. IMO at least.

A few people are mentioning Austin. Listen... Austin does not even come close to Houston as far as being international, diverse, or cultured. Forget it. I know, because I've lived there. The so-called big-city amenities there are pathetic, as is the restaurant scene. Entertainment revolves mostly around the college scene. Also, once you're away from central Austin and the campus area, with the exception maybe of south Austin it really isn't as liberal as many would think. That being said, you could still check it out to see what you think.

Whatever you decide, you need to take a long weekend to visit the new place before you make a big move. In Houston, look at Montrose, Midtown, more maybe even Clear Lake if you want to be near the water (though Clear Lake is not central, it's a suburb...)

Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Not surprising they were "angry" with you for mentioning Houston. It's called Dallitude!
On the other hand, I couldn't be arsed to get "angry" with anyone who doesn't like it here.

They either like it or they don't. Doesn't affect me any.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
And as far as the people go, Houston is even more conservative than Dallas by far, with religion playing just as big a role in the community. You might find people to be a little less pretentious, but not much.
Not true at all...

Houston hasn't had a Republican mayor ever that I can remember, Dallas on the other hand has had many.

As far as religions go Houston is far more diversified than Dallas due to the very large international community compared to Dallas. In Houston you have religious groups from all over the world, Buddhism being one of the bigger ones from its increasingly growing Asian population.

Dallas is located smack dab in the middle of the "Bible Belt" while Houston geographically straddles that line.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-20-2008 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
If you don't like Dallas for the reasons you posted, trust me, you're not gonna like Houston either.

Houston is even bigger and more sprawling than Dallas, so it's still going to take hours to get anywhere. Traffic is worse there too.

Yes, it's closer to the beach, but um, have ya been to the beaches near Houston or Galveston? South Florida it is not.

And as far as the people go, Houston is even more conservative than Dallas by far, with religion playing just as big a role in the community. You might find people to be a little less pretentious, but not much.

I'd recommend you check out East Dallas, particularly the Lakewood area. It's a great area with a laid back, unpretentious vibe, when compared to Uptown, Downtown and other parts of Dallas.

If you're hell bent on leaving Dallas, I'd check out Austin before Houston. Austin sounds like it'd be more of what you're looking for.

Both cities are close enough for you to take a road trip for a few days to check them out.
After reading this, I think this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Been in Dallas too long?

Houston is more conservative by far? HA! And to suggest Austin over Houston for someone who wants beaches, palm trees and international atmosphere? HA!

This guy is clueless about Houston. And Austin for that matter. But I needed a good laugh....

Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

63 posts, read 235,460 times
There are a lot of great threads under the Houston link that show pixs of houston you should take a look, also this is a great website:

Visit Houston Texas - Tourism, Houston Events, Special Offers, Info & More! - Greater Houston CVB

I am also thinking of moving to Houston from New York! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston