Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,566,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosh View Post
On the other hand, Texas beaches are gross. Houston people CAN be close minded. The difference between Dallas and Houston is Houston is so diverse that, as long as you stay out of the burbs, you're fine.

If diversity = riff-raff, you won't find very much diversity in the suburb towns. But it does exist in pockets. People from all walks of life who work hard, have high education levels + high incomes, with families they cherish usually stay away from this type of diversity for many reasons. Suburbs like Sugar Land, Missouri City, Stafford... + Clear Lake (Houston side) are plenty multicultural. On the other hand, The Woodlands & Friendswood are two prime examples of whitebread suburbs.

And I generally agree with the Texas beaches comment. They're not gross as in polluted-gross. But the sand is more like mud that is sticky & gritty and cannot be washed out unless you shower well. Versus clean, Caribbean sand that simply disappears without any rinsing. The seaweed here can get really nasty, too.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,863,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Have you been to a Texas beach lately? I just went to Port Aransas and it was GREAT. My children are asking daily when we can go back.

I think Texas beaches might have improved significantly in recent years. They are cleaner and nicer than what old timers are telling me they were like in the past.
It really depends on which part of the coast you're at. The upper coast sand is brown because of all the rivers dumping silt into the Gulf. It's a very natural phenomenon. The lower coast from Port Aransas down to Port Isabel has much lighter, nicer sand because of the lack of rivers. The water can be very blue down there, too. I agree with you...Port Aransas area beaches can be nice. We still don't have beaches as nice as Florida or Hawaii. Not many places in this country do.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,863,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosh View Post
I've lived in Austin and Houston. I love Houston, my fiance loves Austin, and I won out for now. Neither of us would ever consider moving to Dallas. Everyone is right that DFW is pretentious.

On the other hand, Texas beaches are gross. Houston people CAN be close minded. The difference between Dallas and Houston is Houston is so diverse that, as long as you stay out of the burbs, you're fine.

Austin might actually be a better option if you are more liberal. It's hands down the prettiest city in Texas. I left beause it suffered from "close minded liberality." If you try to be anything other than "weird," you will get as much slack from them as you will being Hindu in Dallas. Just my 2 cents.
To me, Austin is the "prettiest city in Texas" only on the west side. The hills and canyons right in the city on that side of town are spectacular. But I think much of the rest of Austin is really ugly. I'm with you, I'd take Houston any day over Austin. Most people in Austin would never agree, though, because they can't get rid of the image of Houston from years past, and don't realize how many positive changes have been made in Houston (not that's it's perfect, by any means). One thing I'm noticing is that Austin is losing it's weirdness (unfortunately) and Houston is getting more so. Austin is becoming awfully bland and uninteresting. I wonder if the two cities will switch images eventually? I'd better take cover for saying that!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 AM

684 posts, read 2,101,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Most likely when someone mentioned California, he packed up his bags and "was gawn."
Isn't that were everyone goes to "find themselves and live in PC/Liberal heaven?"
Awww, Easily Amused, I am surprised at you!! This is not your finest day..you are usually much more broad based!!

While I have lived my entire life in (Northern) CA, I am not in the least a granola crunching, burkinstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls, and dogs marry dogs (tho my pommie and yorkie would make a cute match)

None the less, I am trying to be patient in my 8-20 month wait to move into my beautiful west Conroe home (Graystone Hills)

Maybe then we could get together for a glass of TX sweet tea?...or even better, a chilled glass of chardonnay from my sonoma/napa hometown???

Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM

3,729 posts, read 12,348,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Awww, Easily Amused, I am surprised at you!! This is not your finest day..you are usually much more broad based!!

While I have lived my entire life in (Northern) CA, I am not in the least a granola crunching, burkinstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls, and dogs marry dogs (tho my pommie and yorkie would make a cute match)

None the less, I am trying to be patient in my 8-20 month wait to move into my beautiful west Conroe home (Graystone Hills)

Maybe then we could get together for a glass of TX sweet tea?...or even better, a chilled glass of chardonnay from my sonoma/napa hometown???
LOL - Well said MissDaisy! Rep points to you!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 AM

278 posts, read 1,059,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
''Church going Christians'' does not necessarily mean Bible Belt. Lakewood Church + churches on every corner in the suburbs does not imply we're in the Bible Belt either. "Bible Belt" exclusively means Southern Baptist as you would find from North Texas through Georgia. You're more likely to be hassled with "Are you saved?" and/or "I'll pray for you" type of people in the Bible Belt. Dealing with that type of passive-aggression is somewhat rare down here, if unheard of for many.

As far as Houston goes, I read a source that put Southern Baptists at a #4 ranking in this area behind Catholics, Lutherans and non-denominational Christians. As far as definitions go we're not smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, but we do have one foot in and one foot out so to speak. And no doubt people here are pretty big on church.
In some circles, Bible Belt is just a term used to denote geographical areas where there is a strong evangelical presence. I lived in Katy, where there is definitely a Baptist Church on every corner....and if not Baptist, then every other denomination, and then some. It's not a strike against Houston, friend, it's just a fact. Furthermore, when I moved to Katy, within one week, I had been approached by half-a-dozen complete strangers and invited to visit their church. I think it's charming; others might not.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
In some circles, Bible Belt is just a term used to denote geographical areas where there is a strong evangelical presence.

If that's the case then can we also say the Bible Belt extends in ND, SD, southern MN and IA, perhaps southern NE? Evangelicals also include Lutherans, and there is a high adherence rate in that section of the country. Much moreso than many places within the ''heart of the Bible Belt''.

BTW, the exurb of Katy is not Houston, and is not necessarily indicative of the bulk or Houston, nor even the "city burbs."

I never said we weren't in the Bible Belt, and didn't take that as a knock on anything. It is what it is, and the numbers speak for themselves. The predominantly Catholic presence in Harris, Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston counties is why I said we figuratively have one shoe in and one out. And those counties hold roughly 5.0 of the 5.6 million people in the metro. (source) The remaining Baptist-predominant counties (and one Lutheran) in our metro hold the remaining 600k people.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston; I moved to Dallas 3 weeks ago and I've already packed up. Help!-adherents.gif   Houston; I moved to Dallas 3 weeks ago and I've already packed up. Help!-church-bodies.jpg  

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
BTW, the exurb of Katy is not Houston, and is not necessarily indicative of the bulk or Houston, nor even the "city burbs."
I'd have to agree. There isn't a Baptist church on every corner where I live. Katy, like many other now-exurbs, were once towns/cities in their own right, and each have their own subtle differences, peculiarities, and "personalities", even with all the growth over the past decade or so. Even in Katy, there's a difference between Old Katy and the rest of Katy. Katy is where that man tried to keep a mosque from being built next to his community. Houstonist: Katy man protests proposed mosque with pig races That wouldn't fly in Southwest Houston, for example. Katy isn't representative of Houston; it's only one part of it.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,769,088 times
I propose tolerance for "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls" activists, Californians, suburbanites, exurbanites, and even Inner Loopers. How about that?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I propose tolerance for "church on every corner" Baptists, mosque-building Muslims, granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, picket sign wielding, "let boys marry boys, girls marry girls" activists, Californians, suburbanites, exurbanites, and even Inner Loopers. How about that?

Will it be based on the Portland model?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston