U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 PM

20,050 posts, read 21,041,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If you don't mind the snow where you're living, I would suggest staying where you are as well. The heat is awful and even though I don't live in Houston, Dallas is terrible too. It has high humidity although not as high as Houston.

There were many days this summer with triple digit temperatures, up to 110 which felt hotter adding in the humidity. It's miserable having to stay in most of the summer or just suffocate outside. One can't truly enjoy the outdoors as dangerously hot as it often gets and it makes many people very cranky, I for one.

Drinking margaritas will not keep you cool. They only benefit is they might make you unaware of how terrible the heat truly is because you'll be too inibriated to care.

I've been doing ILNC's freezer trick lately. I can't stand the heat and will often open the freezer to blow some really frigid air on myself.

Fall is truly the best time of the year in Texas, after October, but I'm sure Fall is delightful where you are as well.
Oh yea, don't you just love feeling that cool air on your face!!! I wish I had a walk in freezer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 PM

152 posts, read 375,814 times
Having moved from Chicago to Houston 2 months ago, I must say that Houston is not as hot as I thought it would be. Houston's summer is like late July (the hottest weeks) in Chicago, high around 95-100.

The difference is it gets that hot for only a couple of weeks in Chicago, but it happens all summer in Houston, up until the hurricane season where it started raining more often. I would trade Chicago winter for Houston summer anyday

I heard Dallas is even hotter (105+) and dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh yea, don't you just love feeling that cool air on your face!!! I wish I had a walk in freezer!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM

11,413 posts, read 17,665,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
I heard Dallas is even hotter (105+) and dryer.
It is.

Sweating > dying of heatstroke

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM

10,427 posts, read 30,013,414 times
Try dealing with high one teens for 6 consecutive weeks in Las Vegas. We hit 121 last friday. A severe cold front blew in today where we had to endure 104 today. You would not believe how good 104 feels when it is 114-116 every single damn day.

I will take the Houston heat and all the humidity it can throw at me. At least you have Gulf breezes if your close enough. My place on Lake Livingston we get nice cooler breezes off the lake.

Oh but the bugs.....now thats another thread !

Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 AM

684 posts, read 1,407,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Well, we just spent three days at the beach and here is the schedule we kept:

AM - 2 hours or so in the Gulf and/or swimming pool
Mid-day - Time inside spent napping, reading, watching movies, or shopping
Early evening - Dinner w/ friends
After dinner for a couple of hours - More time at the beach

It was fabulous!
Topaz...early evening..my absolute FAVORITE time, dining outside, or simply strolling around the town...that balmy subtropical evening feeling..being (temporarily, hopefully) back in No CA..I dream about those evenings....sigh..

BTW, Topaz, I am still supremely jealous you are there already!!!

Last edited by MissDaisy; 08-20-2008 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: addl thought for Topaz

Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM

564 posts, read 1,338,200 times
I've lived in humid climates all my life. I'm so used to it now that I don't even think about it. Like some others have said, in the mornings and late evening it's cool/comfortable enough, even with the humidity, that I walk/ride my bike for a couple of hours or run errands or whatever. In fact, May isn't too bad at all, for the most part, and June is mostly uncomfortable from about 11:00 am to 5:00 PM. July and August are usually the hardest time of the year.

But again, it depends on the individual. Some people find 85 degrees with 45% humidity unfathomable. So there it is.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM

20,050 posts, read 21,041,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post

But again, it depends on the individual. Some people find 85 degrees with 45% humidity unfathomable. So there it is.
This is very true, everyone's tolerance of hot and cold is very different. I have zero tolerance for heat. The above temp is too hot for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM

1,890 posts, read 3,686,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
How in the heck do people deal with the Heat in Houston. I am thinking of moving to Houston or maybe another part of Texas but the only thing i cannot seem to deal with is the heat.

I live in the midwest now and summers a pretty decent. i know in Houston there are long stretches of 100 degree weather. I guess I cannot hang outside anymore.

Does Houston have summer time outdoor evets?

Or do people just stay in the house in the summer time.........
The heat is not that bad. I came from near perfect weather Southern CA (house was about 20 minutes from the beach). It's my first summer here, and I am used to it already. In fact, I don't even turn on the AC when I drive by myself. You can condition yourself to get used to just about anything. Keep saying to yourself, "it ain't that hot." repeatedly. Once this thought is firmly planted in your mind, your body will see what the mind sees. Physical conditioning might work better for some people. Set up a small work out area in the garage or a non-air conditioned room. Work out in this room for 30 minutes a day. Do this for a week and the outside summer temperature will feel like a breeze.

Last edited by davidt1; 08-20-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 AM

8,981 posts, read 15,662,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The heat is not that bad. I came from near perfect weather Southern CA (house was about 20 minutes from the beach). It's my first summer here, and I am used to it already. In fact, I don't even turn on the AC when I drive by myself. You can condition yourself to get used to just about anything.

This is a happy man.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,741,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Physical conditioning might work better for some people. Set up a small work out area in the garage or a non-air conditioned room. Work out in this room for 30 minutes a day. Do this for a week and the outside summer temperature will feel like a breeze.
That's a great idea. I've also considered doing one of those hot yoga classes because after you do 90 minutes of that, I bet Houston humidity feels downright moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston