Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,913 times

Advertisements

My family and I are also planning a move to Houston in the very near future. We are wanting to take a trip to the area next month, but since neither my husband nor I have ever been to Houston, it's a little challenging getting information as to where to start. We know a total of three people in the city so this will definitely be an adventure for us. We currently reside in the Midwest and have decidedly put off moving until the children were all in college. We do have a 15 year old who will be making the journey with us, so this is important in the decision making process...what's best for all involved?

Any advice on a good neighborhood for someone new to the area would be great. We currently own our home, but are willing to do the apartment thing until we know more about the "way of the land". Any suggestions would be tremendously helpful. I'm booking flights this weekend!

I've been reading posts all evening and have come across some really good information and some that's disheartening. As with most of the other families who have posted, the decision to move is a major one and being able to "talk" with you who live the life is very helpful. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
What type of school are you looking at for your son -- private, public top-rated, inside Houston for a diverse, cultural experience with average academics? And, what area of town will your employer(s) be located? Houston is big so you want to find a good district as near as possible to work. What do you like to do for entertainment -- stay in, explore the arts, parks, etc.?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Well, uh...see that's the problem. I don't have a clue! My husband and I have been self-employed for over 12 years! He has a part-time job that he's worked for over a year now and that employer has already made connections for him in Houston near the Toyota Center (?). I on the other hand have been off the corporate scene for many moons and am having the darnedest time trying to put a resume together I haven't needed one for so long...doing your own thing has it's perks! (Ok, I guess I do have one clue...close to the Toyota Center...wherever that is.)

The school issue is a big one. We have put the move off til now because we were debating to wait until school is out so as not to move in the middle of the school year, but the way things are looking we'll be celebrating Christmas there. We definitely want a program that is known for academics. We hadn't considered private, but if that will offer better options, we will add that to the list of things to square away.

As far as night life...we work through ours so anything extracurricular is appealing right now. We're not home bodies, but we enjoy being at home.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Ok, I have a little more information and a few more questions.

The job is AT the Toyota Center. One of our friends who lives in Houston recommended Missouri City, but we aren't sure where that is in proximity to the job. And I've read a lot about commute times, but still not knowing the area is a 45 min-1 hr commute bad? Do you have any information on the high schools in that area. We have discussed it and we'd like to take a break from the $8K/year we've been paying for tuition, but as long as the school has a good curriculum. I perused almost every discussion on here (well as many as I could in one day) and the Montrose area...if that's the name of a place...sounds very interesting, but how would it be for a teenager?

Since we know absolutely nothing about Houston, we're really depending on word of mouth for how to go about resettling in your neighborhood. And since you know the area far better than anyone else, who better to ask than the neighbors.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Teens in Montrose would most likely attend Lamar High School - not sure of its ratings. Wouldn't so much recommend Missouri City. Good school districts all around on all sides of town - you just need to see what area best fits your needs. Montrose is by far the closest to your husband's employer and probably the priciest because it is in town (not sure of your price range). In the suburbs you have Sugarland on the SW side, Katy on the West side (and probably the hardest commute because of I-10 traffic) although people I know commuting in on 45 from the North are definitely complaining more and more, On the North side you have Spring, Woodlands, Kingwood (better commute into town than Spring & Woodlands), Southeast you have Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, League City, Seabrook, Kemah. On the Southeast side you are closer to Galveston Bay so there is a lot of water recreation, armand bayou nature center - however all the areas listed are good school districts and have recreational things to do.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
A thing about HISD is that you are able to attend schools that you aren't zoned to (within HISD). I, for example, was zoned to Westburyand ended applying for the magnet program (specialized curriculum) to Westside and was able to attend. Each middle school/high school has its own different magnet program. Bellaire and Lamar HS are locaed in great areas but it will be competitive to get in if you aren't zoned there. Home prices will be more pricey here given it's location.. This area is located in southwest Houston ~5-10 miles from downtown.

Basically if you move outside of HISD you are looking at about 45+ minute commute from door-to door to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston