Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:00 AM

78 posts, read 290,240 times

Advertisements

In one of the large threads there was a debate as to whether Houston was a less cosmopolitan city compared to other US cities its size.

Its not there anymore but late Friday evening the chron.com had a high school football game as its lead story.

A high school football game.....

And I'm not talking about the sports section, I'm talking about the main webpage. If that is not evidence that Houston is a bit less cosmopolitan and a bit more provincial than other big US cities, than I don't know what is.

I have NEVER seen the LA Times, SF Chronicle, Boston Globe or the NY Times ever feature an article about a high football game on their main page in the several years I have visited those websites (nor do I ever expect to.... that is unless some historic winning or losing streak is broken).

I know Texans love their high school football but I just wanted to point that out in reference to whether Houston is more or less cosmopolitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod View Post
I know Texans love their high school football...
There it is, right there. End of discu--oh wait...

Are we even looking at the same front page here?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There it is, right there. End of discu--oh wait...

Are we even looking at the same front page here?
Like I said, it was different several hours ago.

A few hours ago, instead of the picture of the hurricanei, " the chron" had a big picture of a high school running back breaking a tackle (same picture as the tiny thumbnail but blown up to the same size as the hurricane pic).

Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM

283 posts, read 1,281,903 times
Default Simrlmao

Quote:

A few hours ago, instead of the picture of the hurricanei, " the chron" had a big picture of a high school running back breaking a tackle (same picture as the tiny thumbnail but blown up to the same size as the hurricane pic).
So, go read The New Yorker. (and, that's H-U-R-R-I-C-A-N-E Mr. Sophistication)

Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Ok, fair enough. That said....so what? At the end of the day this is still Texas.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
If any of those cities had two proverbial powers playing I think you would see something. But football is not as popular in those areas.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM

And here I was wondering who still thought newspapers were still relevant enough to be a gauge of sophistication in a given city...

Old 08-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And here I was wondering who still thought newspapers were still relevant enough to be a gauge of sophistication in a given city...
If you don't think the NY Times contributes to the cosmopolitian nature of NYC then your nuts. The same goes for the Boston Globe.

The cases for the LA times and SF Chronicle are a little bit different but in either case I have never seen such provincialness featured on eithers mainpage.

Of course, NYC has its own crap, provincial newspapers like NY Dailynews but everyone knows that newspaper doesn't have 1/10th the reputation of the NY Times.

I was just expecting a lot more from Houston's top newspaper.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I was just expecting a lot more from Houston's top newspaper.
As opposed to the bottom one?

All the NYT and the others do is take advertiser money and manipulate people. That's what the mass media is all about. I know a thing or two about manipulating people. In fact, I could go on some spiel about how we're too high-brow to even pay attention to the local rag and I might even get you to believe it. But no, I really don't care. I'm too busy sitting here in my Ninja Turtles underwear eating Cheez Whiz by hand straight out of the jar and watching Beavis and Butt-Head. See, I'm sophisticated.

Now if you excuse me, I've gotta clean the Cheez Whiz off my keyboard now.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
As opposed to the bottom one?

All the NYT and the others do is take advertiser money and manipulate people. That's what the mass media is all about. I know a thing or two about manipulating people. In fact, I could go on some spiel about how we're too high-brow to even pay attention to the local rag and I might even get you to believe it. But no, I really don't care. I'm too busy sitting here in my Ninja Turtles underwear eating Cheez Whiz by hand straight out of the jar and watching Beavis and Butt-Head. See, I'm sophisticated.

Now if you excuse me, I've gotta clean the Cheez Whiz off my keyboard now.
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

So I guess you think freedom of the press is not necessary b/c, according to you, all the press does is manipulate people. Please....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: