Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 20,812 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Houston in October . My husband will be working for a company in downtown. Please suggest excellent schools nearby for my daughter who is in 2nd grade. Also, which are the safe and good neighborhoods with minimal commute to downtown. We are thinking of renting a 3bed apartment/duplex/townhome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serah View Post
We are moving to Houston in October . My husband will be working for a company in downtown. Please suggest excellent schools nearby for my daughter who is in 2nd grade. Also, which are the safe and good neighborhoods with minimal commute to downtown. We are thinking of renting a 3bed apartment/duplex/townhome.
Travis Elementary has had one of the best reputations of public elementary schools fairly close to downtown - I am not real familiar with their current status. Others may know!

It is also a beautiful neighborhood (Woodland Heights).

Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 20,812 times
Upto 20 minutes of commute 1-way is okay for us .If anyone has more info on the good schools(public/private) and safe/clean neighborhoods please reply. We are relocating from midwest to Houston . Zipcode where my husband will work is 77002. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Near the loop in 77024 and 77056/77057 is twenty minutes or less. Good schools in HISD and SBISD in both those areas. Briargrove ( HISD)is extremely good and has nice townhouses zoned to in on Bering, August, Potomac and Nantucket.

There are a few apartments townhouses near N. Post Oak that are zoned to Huters Creek (SBISD) in 77024. Excellent school and school district.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
There are lots of excellent private schools in Houston. Some that come to mind are Annunciation Orthodox School, St. John's, St. Anne's, St. Catherine's Montessori... there are countless. If you are considering private school you should spend some time on the internet and check them out.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Travis Elementary has had one of the best reputations of public elementary schools fairly close to downtown - I am not real familiar with their current status. Others may know!

It is also a beautiful neighborhood (Woodland Heights).
Harvard Elementary is another great school in the Heights not too far from Travis. It's a neighborhood and magnet school for math, science, and technology, and it's in the process of additionally becoming a primary IB school.

There's also River Oaks, West University, Roberts, Twain, Kolter, and a few other centrally located public elementary schools that are excellent.

Last edited by houstoner; 09-05-2008 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: