U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM

44 posts, read 139,566 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My father-in-law is an Engineer with over 25 years experience in Civil Engineering and Fluids and Propellant Engineering. He is currently working for Kennedy Space Center in FL but his contract is almost over so he is looking for work. What kind of opportunites are there in Houston for his skill set? Unfortunately he does not have a Bachelor's degree. But I am hoping that his 25 years experience and his specialized certificates will help him land a job. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can find a job that will match his needs? Does anybody know of a company that might be a good fit? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by jperlewitz; 09-05-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,469,209 times
I'm sorry but it drives me crazy when people call themselves engineers with no degree. At first I was going to say "Yeah, there are TONS of civil engineering firms looking for engineers" but no way will any of them take anyone without a degree. In fact, the Professional Engineering board (I forget what they're called exactly) has lately been pushing legislation and litigation in some states over anybody being called an engineer without a P.E., mainly because of all the "software engineers" around.

Anyway, it's not to say that someone with his skill set isn't highly valuable to somebody, but finding that perfect fit is really tough. I know some refinery operations people don't have degrees, but that can be tough work. I suppose if I were him I'd look into that, there are several major refineries just outside Houston.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
cla

898 posts, read 2,952,920 times
In my office, without a degree, he'd be called an engineering tech.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM

70 posts, read 403,880 times
Try RIGZONE - Your Gateway to the Oil & Gas Industry and Houston online jobs, job search and career education - Chron.com: Jobs - Houston Chronicle.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,469,209 times
Yeah, an engineering tech sounds right. Maybe try looking for positions advertising for engineering techs!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 PM

419 posts, read 1,747,352 times
Engineering tech is not the correct position I would seek. I believe designer would be more appropriate and that is the position I would encourage you suggest he look into. All of the major oil and gas engineering firms are hiring. Several of them have job fairs and I do believe I heard that Stone and Webster is having one on the 12th of this month (heard that on 740AM radio). It would be a major plus to have CAD and 3D modeling skills, but CAD in todays world is a must.

Have your father-n-law apply at companies like Mustang, Worley Parsons, Fluor, Jacobs, Shaw group (Stone Webster), etc. With 25 years experience, he should have no problem landing a job here in Houston. They all offer positions as either a contract or direct employee.

Best of luck...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM

BoydS... Thank you very much for your valuable input. I appreciate you not harping on the fact that apparently he isn't a real "engineer". Thank you again.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM

8,220 posts, read 27,079,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperlewitz View Post
BoydS... Thank you very much for your valuable input. I appreciate you not harping on the fact that apparently he isn't a real "engineer". Thank you again.

I work in the field. Much of the attitude about who's a 'real' engineer and who isn't is simple arrogance and elitism.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I work in the field. Much of the attitude about who's a 'real' engineer and who isn't is simple arrogance and elitism.

Well put tstone!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
cla

898 posts, read 2,952,920 times
I don't care who has an engineering degree or not. But if you say you are an engineer, I think it's expected that you are degreed. I know some without a degree who have more knowledge than some with - I am just trying to offer realistic advice - not trying to put anyone down for not having a degree - I don't have a degree in my field, and of course, I am the best :-) (my degree is in art - but I managed to make a good living anyway :-)). In my office, anyone with engineering knowledge and without a degree is called an engineering tech - some may use "designer" or other terms. It doesn't really matter what you call it, because in Houston, at the moment, the market it very good and he should have no trouble finding a job.

Probably the "safest" route would be to not to list himself as an engineer , but rather to to just put forth a resume saying that he is looking for a job in the engineering field (maybe listing some specific areas he would like to work in) and list his experience. Submit that to every contract firm or engineering firm and believe me, they will contact him (experience is hard to come by these days) - he will surely get offers, be it as a tech or designer or whatever. But with or without a degree, 25 years experience will not be wasted in Houston.

Last edited by cla; 09-06-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or