Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

I just think that now is just too early to tell, and we really won't have a better idea until about Wednesday. And Ike's course could drastically change, so don't be surprised if the projected path becomes a little different. It's possible that Louisiana could take another hit. I'm not saying for you folks in Houston to let your guards down. Then again, it may land between Corpus Christi and Harlingen. So, at this point, it's just way too early to make any prediction. And just because Mississippi and Alabama aren't in the projected path, that's not to say warm water and atmosphere patterns won't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 AM

283 posts, read 1,281,829 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I just think that now is just too early to tell, and we really won't have a better idea until about Wednesday. And Ike's course could drastically change, so don't be surprised if the projected path becomes a little different. It's possible that Louisiana could take another hit. I'm not saying for you folks in Houston to let your guards down. Then again, it may land between Corpus Christi and Harlingen. So, at this point, it's just way too early to make any prediction. And just because Mississippi and Alabama aren't in the projected path, that's not to say warm water and atmosphere patterns won't change.
Too early. The forecasts get better and better but the hurricanes continue to show that, unlike us, they don't pay any attention to them.

Hopefully, if Ike does pay Houston a visit, I can sleep through it much like I did when Alicia passed over us in 1983. Well, the "first half" of Alicia I was able to sleep (I was living in a lower-floor apartment, surrounded by other apartments near Westpark and Chimney Rock) but had to get up and go to work, all the time wondering "where that storm was?" because things were so calm due to the fact the eye was over me right then. About the time (7:45 AM or so) I stepped out the door to walk across the street to work, all Hell seemed to break loose. The center of the eye of Alicia (a Cat 3 at landfall between Freeport and Galveston and a Cat 1 at the time she passed over the west Houston area) passed through just to the west of West Loop on a north-northwesterly course. The street flooding was nowhere close to that of Allison but the wind damage, especially the east side of town, was the worst since Carla. And, the high-rise buildings downtown had extensive damage due to busted glass windows. But, I never lost power where I lived or, if I did, not long enough to affect my AC. The only reason I would evacuate is if I know for certain I would lose power and have no AC. Can't do without my AC. But, you just never know that, same as we don't know for sure where in that "cone of possibility" Ike will eventually go, at least not for a few more days at the least. Maybe he'll decide to visit South Padre or hit Grand Isle, Louisiana or, maybe Houston, Texas. Like Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over" and that applies to hurricanes too.

Hurricane Alicia (1983) - Atlantic Ocean - Hurricane Path Tracking & Storm Status Information

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM

15 posts, read 49,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Too early. The forecasts get better and better but the hurricanes continue to show that, unlike us, they don't pay any attention to them.

Hopefully, if Ike does pay Houston a visit, I can sleep through it much like I did when Alicia passed over us in 1983. Well, the "first half" of Alicia I was able to sleep (I was living in a lower-floor apartment, surrounded by other apartments near Westpark and Chimney Rock) but had to get up and go to work, all the time wondering "where that storm was?" because things were so calm due to the fact the eye was over me right then. About the time (7:45 AM or so) I stepped out the door to walk across the street to work, all Hell seemed to break loose. The center of the eye of Alicia (a Cat 3 at landfall between Freeport and Galveston and a Cat 1 at the time she passed over the west Houston area) passed through just to the west of West Loop on a north-northwesterly course. The street flooding was nowhere close to that of Allison but the wind damage, especially the east side of town, was the worst since Carla. And, the high-rise buildings downtown had extensive damage due to busted glass windows. But, I never lost power where I lived or, if I did, not long enough to affect my AC. The only reason I would evacuate is if I know for certain I would lose power and have no AC. Can't do without my AC. But, you just never know that, same as we don't know for sure where in that "cone of possibility" Ike will eventually go, at least not for a few more days at the least. Maybe he'll decide to visit South Padre or hit Grand Isle, Louisiana or, maybe Houston, Texas. Like Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over" and that applies to hurricanes too.

Hurricane Alicia (1983) - Atlantic Ocean - Hurricane Path Tracking & Storm Status Information

Cool link...I lived in the Westbury area when Alicia hit. And yes, the eye went directly over our house...one of the most eerie things i've ever been through. Our backyard fence was knocked over and we had extensive roof damage, thanks primarily to some huge tree limbs smashing into the house.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
I take tree limbs falling over pine trees flying 50 mph horizontally like giant spears anyday.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
I was 21 months old when Alicia hit. I was taken from Texas City to where my grandparents used to live in South Houston (the city - the one that's more southeast of Houston than south).

I don't remember it. I slept through the whole thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
I really need to see if I can find pics of our front and back yard during Alicia. We lived in Kingwood, and we lost 2 massive pine trees, one in the front, which miraculously broke at the base and went over into our neighbor's roof--if it had gone the other way, it would have taken out my bedroom, with me in it. The other came up at the root system and fell across the greenbelt.

We lost 12 trees in all, and the greenbelt area behind our house looked like a tornado had gone through it (and we found out later, there were probably small ones in that area). Most of the trees we lost were not large so we were happy, but we were really sad about our big pine in the front. It was so large. We planted a crabapple tree in its place. I wonder if it is still there.

Since we are in a condo, we will probably stay if it is a cat. 3, depending on what side we would be on...west side def., left side, hmmm, maybe we'll head to Austin to stay with family.

My heart breaks for Galveston, though, if this does hit us.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
We have no trees out here in Katy and underground powerlines and good flood control, so I'm told. Given how far inland we are, people tell me a Cat 3 hurricane would diminish greatly by the time it hits us and probably be no big deal.

Any advice on when we might think about actually leaving? Cat 4 or 5? Or should we just stay? Of course I would wait for all the coastal folks to get out first, but I wouldn't want to be without power for long in this heat. We don't know many folks in Texas so I suppose we could head up to my Aunt's in Dallas.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Don't take my word for it, because in all likelihood I have no idea what I'm talking about as usual, but I'm not really looking for anything bigger than a Cat-3. Hurricanes lately seem to have trouble keeping high intensity when coming up on the upper Texas or Louisiana coast for some reason. Katrina and Rita lost steam before making landfall, and so did Gustav and other storms from the recent past. I'm probably staying put. There are some people on the coast I'm more concerned about, having grown up there and all.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
We're in the Sugar Land area and staying put unless maybe it's a direct hit by a big 4 or 5. Otherwise, not worth the trouble unless you're right on the coast or in a major flood area (case in point - Rita)

Once something hits, we'd stay until we can no longer take the heat (from there being no electricity and a/c). Remember, hurricanes usually cool temperatures off some for a day or two. After a few days of no electricity and a few outdoor barbeques, we might decide to leave at that point to stay with friends/family in Austin or elsewhere in TX.

As far as trees: Pines don't do well with strong winds. Not only can they fall over, but pine cones and branch debris will fly everywhere. Live oaks are fairly resistant, but can still lose large branches (especially in spawned tornados). Same goes for magnolias. Palms are usually fine. Consider this when you are planting trees in your yard (especially those of you with new homes who are undertaking new landscaping - try to go with oaks and magnolias, avoid planting pines).

Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post

Any advice on when we might think about actually leaving? Cat 4 or 5? Or should we just stay? Of course I would wait for all the coastal folks to get out first, but I wouldn't want to be without power for long in this heat. We don't know many folks in Texas so I suppose we could head up to my Aunt's in Dallas.
I also live in Katy. I tried to evacuate for Rita, due to the fact that I was 6 months pregnant, had never gone through a hurricane (not being from Houston) and my husband was in Oklahoma on business. I left at 3:00am, thinking I would beat the traffic. HA! I was on the road for 12 hours and drove a total of 65 miles. My son, who was 12 at the time, me and our 2 dogs - in the damn car for 12 hours!
My husband was able to give me directions on the back roads via the cell phone to get to his parent's house in Kingwood. Which, by the way, the storm hit. Katy got nothing!
My point, finally, is that I am staying put. The only way I would leave after the storm hits is if we lost power and knew it would take more than a day to restore.
Good luck to everyone! I hope this does decide to take a different route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston