Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM

112 posts, read 432,528 times

Advertisements

I live in a little corner, not sure if you would call it a cul-de-sac, but these neighbors of mine always seem to park their car in front of my entry way to my house and its getting me very frustrated. They have a nice long driveway and yet they choose to park in front of my house. I usually park there after work. I already told them numerous times not to park there.

I don't know what else to do. I don't want to call the cops or start anything. But they don't seem to get it.

You don't see me parking in front of their house.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:49 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,614 times
We have a neighbor across the street, moved in about 4 years ago, and have some sort of a home business (Amway??) Anyway, there are always lots of comings and goings, and when it was becoming close to Christmas,(2005) and one of their rock head visitors decided to park in front of our house, everyday, for all but the wee hours,... for about 2 weeks straight, well here's what I did....

I was wrapping Christmas gifts one night, had all the usual trappings, and took some helium metallic balloons from a company Christmas party we attended that night, tied them to a whole bunch of very colorful ribbons, tied the lot to the drivers door mirror, and put a note under the windshield wiper on the drivers side...

"We would appreciate it if you would not park here until after the holidays, at the earliest, as we have family and friends coming who will no doubt be in need of a parking place close to our home...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year"

Never saw the Dodge Durango parked there again.....

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
the HOA always work for me

Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times
I agree with wsyiwyg - try the HOA. Alternately, since they haven't responded to your requests, maybe you need to point out how annoying it is to you by doing something really annoying to them - like parking in or behind their driveway if they are parked in front of your yard.

Of course, if that doesn't work - you could always put nails, tacks, etc out front. Nasty and mean, but I bet it would sure feel good. :-).

Note: all suggestions are purely conceptual in nature and any actual use is at your risk :-). CYA

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM

112 posts, read 432,528 times
HOA can do something about this? I am so close to calling the cops. But I rather not take it that far. We have told them numerous times to not park in front of our house. Some people just don't get it. I wish they had some common courtesy and respect for other homeowners out there. I can understand if we live in a crowded neighborhood or community but this is very well not the case. They have plenty of space in their driveway and in front of their house. Why they chose to park their cars in front of our house is beyond me.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
I live in a little corner, not sure if you would call it a cul-de-sac, but these neighbors of mine always seem to park their car in front of my entry way to my house and its getting me very frustrated. They have a nice long driveway and yet they choose to park in front of my house. I usually park there after work. I already told them numerous times not to park there.

I don't know what else to do. I don't want to call the cops or start anything. But they don't seem to get it.

You don't see me parking in front of their house.

What should I do?
How about watering the lawn near their car every time they do this? People just hate to get their cars wet!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:33 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,877 times
Or watch when they are going in and out for a few days and water when they are trying to park or leave...If they ask, tell them it is on a schedule :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
How about watering the lawn near their car every time they do this? People just hate to get their cars wet!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
HOA can do something about this? I am so close to calling the cops. But I rather not take it that far. We have told them numerous times to not park in front of our house. Some people just don't get it. I wish they had some common courtesy and respect for other homeowners out there. I can understand if we live in a crowded neighborhood or community but this is very well not the case. They have plenty of space in their driveway and in front of their house. Why they chose to park their cars in front of our house is beyond me.
The HOA was created for these kinds of things. If I remember correctly its discouraged that you confront the other homeowners. its the internet age...take a picture (the worst case) and email it to the HOA with a little bit of nice hinting of a clear violation quoted from that thick HOA manual. If you have a property management/HOA like mine they'll get their warning letters in a few days. be nice in your communications with the HOA

Old 09-18-2008, 01:58 PM

42 posts, read 250,329 times
Try putting orange cones on the perimeter of the drive way, to let them know that YOUR space is YOURS and reserved, OR buy a parking sign like, UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES WILL BE TOWED AT OWERS EXPENSE and stick in front of the driveway. They cant say that they were not warned.

Last edited by Xcaped NOLA; 09-18-2008 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,726 times
I had the exact same problem with my next door neighbors! They have a driveway or could park in front of their own house, but no, they would ALWAYS park in front of mine. We sent them letters and talked to them in person, with no luck. The neighbor said he asked the police about it, and because it is public parking, he can legally park there.
We finally called and sent letters to the HOA. They sent a letter requesting that he park in his driveway. He yelled at me for contacting them (I was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time) but he finally stopped parking in front of our house.
HOA was the solution for us. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston