U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,449,311 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Medical Center since April 2007, and I really don't know of many places to hang out here in this city - to meet a woman. Weekdays after work, the only thing to do is maybe go to Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, window shop or grocery locally at the nearby Target or Krogers, maybe eat at restaurant like Luby's, or workout near home. Weekends, I sometimes amuse myself by thrift shopping, I rarely workout a long distance bike ride at Herman Park [hate hot weather], and I'd shop and hangout at Galleria, eat there - and that's probably the only major place I'd cruise for a chick. I don't do nightclubs because I don't know of any good ones, I don't drink / hate beer, and I hate losing sleep staying late at a nightclubs.

So what's there to do in Houston? What do you do? Know of any good hangouts or nightclubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

6,493 posts, read 9,568,022 times
Based on your likes and dislikes, my suggestion would be to find a church singles group or to get active in the volunteer segment of the community or join a gym and workout on a regular basis so that you get to know the other people. You don't drink or like staying out late so a nightclub is sincerely a bad choice for you.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,332,854 times
I second texas7's advise....find some kind of church (or similar religious group) big enough to have a large singles group. Or volunteer. I've heard meetup.com is good for finding people of similar interests to hang out with, like a group into photography or wine or animals. No way you want to meet a chick at a nightclub.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 PM

7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
It looks like you're going to the wrong stores at the wrong times. You should cruise for babes at Super Wal-Mart any night after 11pm.

Or as mentioned above... church. Pulling tail at a holy place of worship seems to be fairly popular.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,124,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
... I don't do nightclubs because I don't know of any good ones, I don't drink / hate beer, and I hate losing sleep staying late at a nightclubs.

So what's there to do in Houston? What do you do? Know of any good hangouts or nightclubs?
Dude, you're too funny!

If I were you, I'd pretend to drink beer, then head out to The Ginger Man on Morningside. You can go next door to O'Neill's, or Bronx Bar, Little Woodrows, or across the street to Bakers St. Pub, or to Two Rows. These are all not too far from the Medical Center, very casual, laid back and all within pissing distance (well, maybe not that close). All kinds of nice women to meet.

If you want a meal, go late on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays to Mi Luna on Rice University, lots of nice women there, plus you can learn to dance Salsa if you care too; go late when the babes come out.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM

734 posts, read 467,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Dude, you're too funny!

If I were you, I'd pretend to drink beer, then head out to The Ginger Man on Morningside. You can go next door to O'Neill's, or Bronx Bar, Little Woodrows, or across the street to Bakers St. Pub, or to Two Rows. These are all not too far from the Medical Center, very casual, laid back and all within pissing distance (well, maybe not that close). All kinds of nice women to meet.

If you want a meal, go late on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays to Mi Luna on Rice University, lots of nice women there, plus you can learn to dance Salsa if you care too; go late when the babes come out.
really mi luna

i should check that out

Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM

6,493 posts, read 9,568,022 times
Jesse - in looking at your other posts - not sure exactly what kind of advice you are looking for - your requests go in so many different directions. Maybe you could kind of lump it all into one post.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
really mi luna

i should check that out
Yup. You should try to go this Thursday, and file a report back here in this thread.

My wife and I went there a couple of weeks ago, still the same. We actually went there when we just started dating, she with about five other women from UofH, one Russian, one German and I think two from Colombia. My wife was/is the one from Spain.

It really is a cool place to hang out, and meet people if that is what the OP wants to do.

BTW, none of the places I suggested are nightclubs, all pubs, all indoor/outdoor.

Regards

Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,449,311 times
Well, I'm also not a big eater. Big meals - I'll take out some. I once was fat at 205 lbs borderline diabetic type 2, did 2 years / 5030 miles of biking to go down to 139 lbs, today I'm 152 lbs so I consider myself overweight and gotta lose 7 lbs, which can take 6 weeks. And now I'm lazy to exercise and love food and find it hard to diet. So just staying the same weight or less is a daily victory. So - I don't do social eating, I'd probably have to eat slow.

Yeah, I could give a nightclub a try. Why, are nightclub chicks the wrong type? In Chicago, I would go to Excaliber but it was so hard to get parking there.

It sucks that locally there is almost nothing to do in Medical Center than eat and shop. When I lived in Wicker Park Chicago I could cruise a neighborhood bike ride, checks the shop or restaurants, and meet people.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Well, then Mi Luna (My Moon, for those that need translation) serves TAPAS, so you can just order one and be done, not a lot of food, and only five bucks, or so. They have lots to choose from.

Well, the closest thing we have to Chicago's nightlife, or any of the three larger cities, would be Uptown. Since you've been here a while, I'll assume you know about it spare the details, but that is also a cool place to hang out. Even downtown.

The good thing is you'll always find places to park in Houston, and while some clubs do have a cover, it's not ridiculous as in other cities, nor are you judged on your looks in order to get in... within reason, I mean some clubs won't allow flip flops, and tattered clothes, homeless style if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston