U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 PM

6,401 posts, read 9,345,707 times
Galveston is still planning on having the Lone Star Rally in October (end of month) - the largest rally in the United States (really surprised at that one) and they are also planning to go forward with Dickens on the Strand in December - so they are moving forward with their tourism.

Celebrities love to hate Houston so there is no way they'd come here unless it was all victims which for the most part Texans don't wallow in misery - they might cry momentarily but for the most part, dust themselves off and move forward. Nothing for the celebrities to get publicity on and we all know how self-promoting they are.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 PM

500 posts, read 1,295,537 times
There is no comparison in terms of human suffering between NOLA after Katrina and Houston/Galveston after Ike. Property, maybe, but it's the desire to help humans who are suffering that makes news and draws those who want to be seen helping human suffering.
I was out of power for 10 days, I have a huge hole in my roof, but did any of my family get hurt? no. I mean, I was eating ribs at Pappas a few days after the storm. I didn't suffer and I don't think I'm atypical. I have been inconvenienced, and set back a few thousand dollars. But all my loved ones are alive, healthy and covered in mosquito bites.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 AM

4,306 posts, read 6,961,297 times
That is the difference, we had the means to ride through the aftermath whereas many of the people of NOLO were poor, and lived on welfare. The suffering in NOLA was a symptom, not the problem. Many of the NOLA folks did not own homes, were tenants in slum like shacks, no insurance, no money, no income and many not even a car to get out. They were totally dependent on the government for everything.

BTW, the suffering was not because of Katrina directly, it was because the levee broke and flooded the city.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 09-26-2008 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,460,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I can't help but believe that if Ike had hit New Orleans that Sen. Obama would make a beeline there to show his support for all those poor victims but nary a peep out of him for all the folks in Galveston and other hard-hit areas here on the Coast.
Yeah, cause the GOP has never used a natural disaster to pander to its base. Me thinks I remember a certain republican presidential nominee rushing off to the mostly white and christian state of Iowa during their severe flooding this past summer.

But he was generally concerned, whereas those d*mn liberals are in it just for the PR, right? Well, except for when it comes time to vote for "pork" spending on levees and flood control that could have helped prevent some/all of the flooding.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:29 AM

38 posts, read 133,941 times
Agree+

"Because Texans acted with class, and dignity. No crying, or screaming at the government for handouts as did many of the people of New Orleans. Texans faced adversity, came together, and helped each other, and will get through this."

Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,460,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisma1001 View Post
Agree+

"Because Texans acted with class, and dignity. No crying, or screaming at the government for handouts as did many of the people of New Orleans. Texans faced adversity, came together, and helped each other, and will get through this."
Here's my problem with this. I live in Seabrook, and like the majority of Seabrook residents I evacuated. I was in Dallas following the reports on khou.com, including keeping an eye on the khou.com damage forums. Within just a couple of days there were countless Seabrook residents on that forum calling for the heads of the Seabrook mayor and city council. They were irate that the city of Seabrook was in lockdown and not allowing residents in to survey their homes and property for damage. I'm talking TWO DAYS after the storm! Imagine if the flood waters didn't recede and the city (along with large portions of Houston) was locked down for weeks like what happened in New Orleans. Can you imagine how people would have reacted? Now I'm not saying that no one in NOLA took advantage of the situation, but I am saying that labeling the majority of them as crybabies looking for government handouts is misguided and shows a complete lack of compassion for a situation that was many times worse than most in Houston experienced with Ike.

Also, I have already heard of plenty of well-to-do suburbanites who have already submitted questionable claims to FEMA... such as for the food that spoiled in their freezer.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Galveston is still planning on having the Lone Star Rally in October (end of month) - the largest rally in the United States (really surprised at that one) and they are also planning to go forward with Dickens on the Strand in December - so they are moving forward with their tourism.

Celebrities love to hate Houston so there is no way they'd come here unless it was all victims which for the most part Texans don't wallow in misery - they might cry momentarily but for the most part, dust themselves off and move forward. Nothing for the celebrities to get publicity on and we all know how self-promoting they are.
I've noticed lots of celebrities seem to have a hate for Houston as well. I don't think because of the city,but because of how the city works especially with oil since lots of celebrities are starting to go green now seems like.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 AM

4,306 posts, read 6,961,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've noticed lots of celebrities seem to have a hate for Houston as well. I don't think because of the city,but because of how the city works especially with oil since lots of celebrities are starting to go green now seems like.
Some possible reasons... 'big greedy oil companies', Halliburton, and the fact that Texas is a red state.

I'm being sarcastic about the oil companies of course, I work for one of them. 'Don't want to get off topic, but people who make dumb comments about greed of oil companies don't know how the business works, nor remember when oil was less than twenty dollars a barrel, and people were losing their jobs monthly.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Some possible reasons... 'big greedy oil companies', Halliburton, and the fact that Texas is a red state.

I'm being sarcastic about the oil companies of course, I work for one of them. 'Don't want to get off topic, but people who make dumb comments about greed of oil companies don't know how the business works, nor remember when oil was less than twenty dollars a barrel, and people were losing their jobs monthly.
exactly.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,010,159 times
Default Thank you for this response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yeah, cause the GOP has never used a natural disaster to pander to its base. Me thinks I remember a certain republican presidential nominee rushing off to the mostly white and christian state of Iowa during their severe flooding this past summer.

But he was generally concerned, whereas those d*mn liberals are in it just for the PR, right? Well, except for when it comes time to vote for "pork" spending on levees and flood control that could have helped prevent some/all of the flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston