U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM

36 posts, read 73,117 times
Default I have to agree...

I have to say that I agree and yes, it was Andrew - I was there. It was the worst before Katrina and while I am in the same situation as the person who posted this thread, trees down (nothing on the house) debris to clean up, etc., and have helped my neighbors, I'm in one of 28 counties declared disaster - but for a lot of us, it was business as usual come Monday, even DT Houston...I work DT and my bosses were in the office on Wednesday, with a light staff - but I heard stories of some bosses who expected their employees to be there by Wednesday regardless of their circumstance. Every situation is different, some of the partners here (living in well-to-do areas) just got their power back on yesterday, so I'm a little miffed at the media (which I shy away from anyway), when they try to say the money comes first...such is not the case. Our worst case scenario was this Monday and we got ours back after a week. Plus, some neighbors help neighbors, what's sad is seeing neighbors in their own little world, clueless to others who need help. But, I do agree with LostInHouston, we've seen more activity this year in the Gulf and it wouldn't matter if it was south Texas, LA, Mississippi, or Florida - they didn't get a lot of attention either, neither did the Midwest when they had flooding and ruins...it's in the fore front, then it's gone - but Katrina was the worst since Andrew, and while Ike was bad, I know...I was in the SW corner of the eye as it came through, and while it wasn't my 1st hurricane (obviously), Andrew was much worse. I feel for those in low-income who can't afford the things they need and lost it all, and sadly, I think the locals (in River Oaks, the Texans) and people who obviously have insurance that will cover their damages, should help those who otherwise can't afford it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Not doubting that there were plenty of celebrities out there for the positive PR, but I think there are some differences between Katrina and Ike which also explain some of this. At one point, 80% of New Orleans was under water. It took weeks for the water to recede. Over 1500 died in New Orleans alone. Bodies were floating down streets for weeks.

Also, I believe the last major hurricane to hit a major US city prior to Katrina was Andrew in 1992? I think the more time that has elapsed since a major disaster (natural or otherwise), the more attention it receives.

Unread 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 73,117 times
I love your posts! And agree 150%!
I'm a single female, 41 year old, homeowner who makes 55K as a paralegal and have noone to take care of but me and my dog. I sat at a friend's bar on the lake (getting ice, thank goodness) since he had ice from his generators listening to so many people talk about what they were going to claim. Made me sick actually, because I lost my entire fridge/freezer (still haven't replenished because of potential blackouts), but it was probably about $200. I'd rather take that money (and have) and help someone who really needs it, I don't have to claim that from my insurance company...even though people have been told they could.

Everyone thinks differently in every situation I suppose...
Hope your house faired well in Seabrook - a friend of mine in League City had power in 24 hours and didn't evacuate - stayed behind w/the dogs while the wife and kids went. Amazing!

Quote:
Here's my problem with this. I live in Seabrook, and like the majority of Seabrook residents I evacuated. I was in Dallas following the reports on khou.com, including keeping an eye on the khou.com damage forums. Within just a couple of days there were countless Seabrook residents on that forum calling for the heads of the Seabrook mayor and city council. They were irate that the city of Seabrook was in lockdown and not allowing residents in to survey their homes and property for damage. I'm talking TWO DAYS after the storm! Imagine if the flood waters didn't recede and the city (along with large portions of Houston) was locked down for weeks like what happened in New Orleans. Can you imagine how people would have reacted? Now I'm not saying that no one in NOLA took advantage of the situation, but I am saying that labeling the majority of them as crybabies looking for government handouts is misguided and shows a complete lack of compassion for a situation that was many times worse than most in Houston experienced with Ike.

Also, I have already heard of plenty of well-to-do suburbanites who have already submitted questionable claims to FEMA... such as for the food that spoiled in their freezer.

Unread 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM

3,027 posts, read 4,327,901 times
Quote:
And these African-Americans started the interview by letting the viewers know that they are unemployed, on welfare, and personally feel the hurricane was the fault of "white" people?

They didn't need to inform, its obvious!

Unread 09-27-2008, 12:51 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,202,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
They didn't need to inform, its obvious!
this video from tonights show is just too d@mn funny and relevant to this conversation not to post:

YouTube - Bill Maher New Rules White Prejudice

Unread 09-27-2008, 12:56 AM

11,094 posts, read 15,956,047 times
I post on city-data primarily to avoid bad influences, like Wall Street CEOs, who might lead me to my genetically-wired predilection for white collar crime - no pun intended or anything - or crying to the government to bail me out of the mess I created.

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinhouston View Post
this video from tonights show is just too d@mn funny and relevant to this conversation not to post:

youtube - bill maher new rules white prejudice

omg how could you post such a racist remark?

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:26 AM

I hate whitey.

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I hate whitey.

Well you know us whiteys, always wanting something for free and never wanting to work for it, and blaming society for our problems!

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Well you know us whiteys, always wanting something for free and never wanting to work for it, and blaming society for our problems!
I know. I keep clicking that "GET A FREE PS3" link I see from time to time and I still don't have one.

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I know. I keep clicking that "GET A FREE PS3" link I see from time to time and I still don't have one.

Just go down to your local shopping mall that might still not have power and steal one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston