U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM

27 posts, read 67,726 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am researching a possible move to Houston next year for my husband and I. However, it seems like everybody bags Houston. One woman even used the word "detest" after she had lived there for 5 years. Is it really that bad or is this the experience of some people stuck out in the burbs....

Both my husband and I would have good jobs - he is an oil & gas engineer and would be transferred there as an expat with his company and I am a lawyer and hope to get a job with one of the big law firms. We intend to live very inner city - preferably near a park if possible.

The general criticisms seem to be: you have to drive everywhere, it is unbearably hot and humid, it is very conservative politically and it is very sprawled and ugly.

Why do people dislike Houston so much? Surely other cities must also have some of these negatives but aren't criticised so much. All these negative reviews are making me consider our move....is it really that hot? As hot as Dubai for example?

So come on, what are the good things about Houston? What makes it "cool"?

thanks!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM

70 posts, read 237,071 times
Prior to our move here from out of state, I encountered the same responses......"why Houston?"

A little warmer in the longer summer. Big whoop.

I'm making really good money here, my wife likes it and the kids have adjusted just fine to Houston......

Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,102,155 times
Who hates Houston?
I'm a transplant from N.J., La. and Ca. and thoroughly enjoying my stay here.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM

657 posts, read 1,655,519 times
People seem to think it's more conservative than it is. It's actually pretty diverse. It is very hot, but that's from the months of May through September. The other seven months are pleasant. It's cool to live near the inner city, but it can be expensive.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM

258 posts, read 666,460 times
Default Houston

Houston compared to Detroit,Cleveland.Cinci etc.Much better work conditions here than all the north east and cali now even New York. If you could give me similar home and work in San diego then I might move.Houston is hot 5 months out of the year and some people from cold places are driven to insanity here.They also want the politics to be like from whence they came.They never think about why they left in the first place no jobs ,no affordible homes taxes etc.Americans, in my opionion, used to be tougher people.Alot of people complain all the time and would not be happy anywhere.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,094,940 times
Default I don't think Houston is conservative politically.

It's more in the center to liberal.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,740,300 times
its questions like these. people learn theres nothing about houston in threads like these except maybe "cheap homes", "peaceful neighborhoods", "no snow", "laidback working conditions", "family oriented crap", "space center BS" - you got to be really old and tired to go for stuff like those. what does houston have for the young at heart, for the romantics, the ambitious and all that youthful energies? pinattas, rodeo, oil&gas, dirty ghetto beach...

but i think people hate some houstonians more that houston itself. half baked texans, cant really trust those

Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM

43 posts, read 122,820 times
Just a question.. why is it when I hear that people complain about Houston, thrown in there is always the 'well, it's conservative'. Is that really a complaint? That would be like me looking to move to Boston and asking people what they think and them saying 'well, it's liberal' . You don't say! It's in New England. Houston is in Texas. Someone moving to Houston wouldn't force them to be a ranting conservative any more than someone moving to Boston would make them raving liberal. I just really wonder if this is a serious thing people say as a concern.
By the way, Houston is extremely diverse. I don't think you can call an entire city conservative when the city hosts an annual gay pride parade.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM

6,493 posts, read 9,568,022 times
The things you said -- hot, need a car, ugly landscape, - yeah that true. But that is just life in Texas. The people for the most part are great. Most people can afford a good lifestyle here. Diverse enough to offer you a multitude of restaurants and ethnic festivals. Hot yes - but Dubai hot - not way. Most people I know who work in the Middle East - the expat wives come home to Houston to avoid the hot summers there. People will definitely complain about the heat but those who move from here to the hot middle east - are glad to spend their summers back home.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM

13 posts, read 35,786 times
I've just done 12 months in Houston (Sugarland) as an expat (also with oil and gas) and have had a great time. Yes, the summers get very hot and humid but you cope with it as best you can. You can still enjoy the outdoors. We certainly go to lots of parks and other outdoor attractions. At least it isn't hot all year round. It makes you appreciate the other seasons more! There are lots of different things to do iwithin Houston and its suburbs (museums, galleries, parks, theatre, exploring different neighbourhoods, festivals) and there's also lots to explore outside Houston. The scenery around Texas is very different. THere's beautiful countryside and interesting cities. The downside, of course, is that you have to drive along those ugly highways, which can be depressing! I certainly don't complain about the time I've spent there and would definitely recommend it for a posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston